Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 05:38 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
No, this is 'Dogman' sightings, the ones Ive read are coming from Daniel Boone National Forest.

One of my best friends has a daughter that is married to a KY state fish and game official, Since I have been looking into 'Dogman' cases, I asked him about all these sightings in KY and those in the state parks...he is the one that told me they have received 887 sighting reports of bipedal dogs/wolves, and also that EKU extension is looking into the phenomena.

At first I believed these things were real, but recently Im beginning to doubt it, I think the sightings are probably mis identifications of some other animal, however Im keeping an open mind, Ive been in contact with a guy that lives in Southern OH, and Ive been to his house on one occasion, he claims to have alot of activity on the property around his house, (also claims Bigfoot are common here), to his credit, he does have a considerable amount of pictures of 'something large', the clearest one I saw, it looked like a Gorilla on all fours, but Im planning to go back to his property in the spring, when I have more time to spend there, in this part of southern OH...in the winter time...there should NOT be anything large (except for deer) running around the forested areas, we do not have wolves, and coyotes are much smaller than whats being reported.

Ultimately, Im about 95% sure they are mis identifications, but that other 5% is keeping me interested.
There are bears in Eastern Kentucky and some have been swimming to Southern Ohio. At least one of the first reports in Southern Ohio claimed they saw a huge psychotic man throwing trash cans around.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:06 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
I heard a long time ago, maybe 20 years or more about bears swimming across the Ohio River into the State of Ohio. I could see how a bear could end up on the other side of the river if the bear was chasing after a deer that jumped in the river with the hope of escaping from the bear. A bear could also take a bridge across the river. There use to be alot of bears in Indiana. I don't know if there are any bears there today or not, but I bet there are at least a few, and probably even more in Ohio. About anyplace that has thick woods and forests and hills and mountains and cold winter climate are more likely to have bears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 09:59 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
There are bears in Eastern Kentucky and some have been swimming to Southern Ohio. At least one of the first reports in Southern Ohio claimed they saw a huge psychotic man throwing trash cans around.
Black bears...yes, there are a few (but they would not be active in Winter, especially not running around).

Germantown, OH is another area that has had a number of Dogman sightings, Ive spoken to a few people from this area, who have frequent sightings.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:26 AM

14,767 posts, read 8,097,050 times
No werewolves here in Lexington.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:24 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Here's a good informational article about black bears in KY including a current distribution map. They are expanding west and north so one one shouldn't be surprised to see an occasional bear in southern Ohio or Indiana and well into all counties of central KY where isolated sightings are possible.
Crossing the Ohio River isn't very difficult for a black bear. They are good swimmers and enjoy being in water.

I wouldn't be at all surprised that some people seeing a black bear standing on it's rear legs for the first time from a distance might think it's some kind of Dog man or Bigfoot.

https://fw.ky.gov/Wildlife/Pages/Black-Bears.aspx

When I visited Blue Lick State Park on the border of Nicholas and Fleming counties, I was surprised there was so much natural habitat comprising of forested rolling hills as far as the eye could see and crossed with a river and streams. It was beautiful but even at that time I was hoping not to come across a stray bear while on some of the trails.

Last edited by marino760; 01-28-2020 at 06:21 AM..

Old 01-28-2020, 06:11 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Here's a good informational article about black bears in KY including a current distribution map. They are expanding west and north so one one should be surprised to see an occasional bear in southern Ohio or Indiana and well into all counties of central KY where isolated sightings are possible.
Crossing the Ohio River isn't very difficult for a black bear. They are good swimmers and enjoy being in water.

I wouldn't be at all surprised that some people seeing a black bear standing on it's rear legs for the first time from a distance might think it's some kind of Dog man or Bigfoot.

Especially a skinny adolescent one.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:23 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Here's a good informational article about black bears in KY including a current distribution map. They are expanding west and north so one one shouldn't be surprised to see an occasional bear in southern Ohio or Indiana and well into all counties of central KY where isolated sightings are possible.

When I visited Blue Lick State Park on the border of Nicholas and Fleming counties, I was surprised there was so much natural habitat comprising of forested rolling hills as far as the eye could see and crossed with a river and streams. It was beautiful but even at that time I was hoping not to come across a stray bear while on some of the trails.
Well, there used to be wooly mammoths in what's now Blue Licks State Park, so bears aren't so far off the mark!

Actually, even hibernating bears are said to wake up occasionally during the winter and I don't know, check out the weather? Roll over a time or two? Ask, "What time is it, honey?" Get a snack from the fridge? All I know is that it's not that uncommon to see a bear - probably a sleepy bear, but still a bear - in midwinter, when according to tradition, bears should be peacefully slumbering.

Bears have been spotted and filmed in Berea backyards in recent years. That's just one county from Lexington. Of course, the Kentucky River Palisades are in between - but would be ideal bear habitat: rugged, heavily wooded, with rocky crevices and small caves, plus abundant game and edible native plants. Just about twenty-odd miles from Berea, too.

So maybe we'd best prepare for Brother Bruin to come a-callin' here in the Inner Bluegrass in a year or two or three.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
No werewolves here in Lexington.
LOTS of Dogman reports from Daniel Boone National Forest though.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Especially a skinny adolescent one.
Physical descriptions do not match.

Dogman is normally reported as having a very muscular and human looking upper body (including shoulders), with a slender waist, they are reported as having reverse knees of a canine for their back legs, long tails are also common...NONE of that sounds close to a bear.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:53 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Good heavens, I just Googled "Kentucky dogman" and am amazed at all the hits!

Forget urban legends - we got ourselves a real live rural legend right here in Kentucky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: