U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2006, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,959 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts? What are the schools like? I have a 'special needs' son who will require a little extra help, is there one area that is better than any other? Also, my wife is an imigrant from Eastern Europe, and I would rather avoid any 'hostility' around that if I could...thoughts?
We are looking for a quiet, conservative, small-town atmosphere to raise our kids (3 and 5), that get's us away from the ultra-liberal Seattle-metro area.
Cheers and Merry Christmas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2006, 02:13 PM

4,824 posts, read 13,122,359 times
Default more information please

I know you won't likely want to describe your child's needs, but to reply properly, more information is needed. Jefferson County (Louisville) has a very large student population and probably will be better equiped to handle the more severe special needs.

Louisvlle Metro-government is a bit more liberal in my opinion than most of the smaller populated counties that adjoin Jefferson County.

You will find Oldham, Spencer, Shelby, and Bullitt in Kentucky to have the small town flavors you describe. I would also suggest that Floyd, Clark, Scott, Washington, and Harrison Counties of Indiana will also provide the standards you seek while remaining in commute distance to Louisville.

Good luck and best wishes

Old 12-26-2006, 02:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,959 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the insight. My son is five and has what they call 'Autistic Tendancies' - basically it means he needs a good deal of extra help with speaking and writting skills (such as speech and language therapy and 1:1 class room assistance).
cheers!

Old 12-26-2006, 04:57 AM

4,824 posts, read 13,122,359 times
I truly would not be capable of advising you on the specific needs you mention; therefore, I recommend that you contact each of the area school districts: (Louisville: Jefferson County Public Schools; Prospect, Goshen, Crestwood, LaGrange, Buckner, Westport, Pewee Valley: Oldham County Board of Education; Shelbyville, Simpsonville, Finchville, Mt. Eden: Shelby County Board of Education; Taylorsville: Spencer County Board of Education;
Mt. Washington, Shepherdsville, Lebanon Junction: Bullitt County Board of Education) Indiana schools operate in a more segmented school corporation system. If you need more info on the Indiana schools, please write.

Good luck and God Bless

Old 12-26-2006, 01:58 PM

52 posts, read 210,023 times
My daughter has worked with special needs kids in Mt Washington ky & she could tell you about that area very close to Louisville If you would like me to get her to email you I could ask her she is working in the Bullitt school system currently!!! good luck

Old 12-27-2006, 08:12 PM

850 posts, read 2,955,527 times
With two sons who have gone through the Bullitt county school system, and knowing Shelbyville is not as up to speed as Louisville (medical care, etc.), I would recommend Louisville - but somewhere in the suburbs. The east end is great, lots of shops, etc., and you will find the BEST care and education for your child in that area. Oldham county has the best system in the state as far as I am concerned - I have seen the difference in curriculum between the counties, as well as the difference within Bullitt county - Mt. Washington absolutely has better offerings than the rest of the county.

As far as your wife is concerned, Kentucky is fast becoming the new melting pot, and I believe you will find she will be welcome wherever you land.

Do a search for the Jefferson County public school system, and check that against Bullitt and Shelby County (I assume they have a website as Jefferson does). Bullitt East High School in Mt.Washington should have it's own site, too. Because my sons attended Bullitt Central, I would not recommend it. My oldest did poorly do to many reasons, but my youngest has excelled - only because of the JROTC program. I do not hear much about special needs classes in the school.

You all will be welcomed with open arms, but depending on your finances, locale preference (country vs. more city) that will guide you.

Good luck - and tell your wife hello!

KimmieyKY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky