Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:26 PM

145 posts, read 518,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Obama is moving to the right everyday... there may not be much difference btw him and McCain in November.

I as long as he is strong on the war on terror and keeps our overall taxes low, I can live with Mr O. I had high hopes for Bush II, but other than preventing terrorist attacks after 2001 he has really dropped the ball. America is no longer an industrial power, we are a service based economy where most jobs pay the minimum wage. My uncles were able to provide for a family by simply working in a factory. Today you have to get a Master's degree to keep the same standard of living
I'm not totally disputing what you say but I think the people who work in the Toyota plant make quite a bit of money so the jobs are still out there. Can't say their aren't enough of them because I believe Toyota is struggling to find people to work at the plant and sending representitives to schools to try and talk kids into working their and getting school paid for. Obama isn't going to lower taxes thats for sure. He will just let the Bush tax cut expire which raises taxes but he gets to say that he didn't raise them himself. He may be moving to the middle now but if he gets in back to the far left he goes with a probable democratic congress. That is a scary thought. I don't agree with all Bush has done but he has kept us from being attacked again. His presidency changed on 9/11 and the focus of his presidency was terrorism and has been since. I wonder what he would have been like had this never happened. I am thankful that he has stepped up the terrorism fight but I don't agree with some other things he has done. I think its easy to attack someone but if we were in his shoes and know what he does I wonder how much better we could do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 10:55 PM

200 posts, read 806,869 times
toyota is even struggling dude. they just announced this week that they are shutting down a US plant, thankfully it wasnt the one in georgetown.. open your eyes. bush has lead us to the bring of disaster.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:09 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInUSA View Post
Oh, my! Eccentric, indeed, not to mention a lot of other things I would like to call this person. This type of person is not a liberal. He's what most are now calling a liberal extremist, which is even worse than a conservative extremist. A liberal is someone who believes in this way: "I may not believe as you do, but I will fight to my death for your right to believe as you do" (paraphrasing). This is the way an overwhelming majority of Americans have always felt, especially liberals, which is nothing like this type of extremist. This new party has come along and they are the liberal extremists. They want to tell everyone how they should live, how they should feel, how they should believe, etc. They are the ones who literally stop conversatives from being able to make speeches. It's happened numerous times over the last few years in the USA, believe it or not. So, they want to take freedom of speech away from anyone who doesn't believe as they do, tell people how to live, etc, divide the USA, and are far from being liberals. To me, this is the type of person that is destroying our country. Being united is one of the main things that has made this country so great. They are the ones who want to kick all of the people that do not believe as they do out of their way, not vice versa. These are the people who were screaming to separate the blue and red states.

Well, I'm going to have to cool down a little before I email this extremist and tell him exactly what I think. I'll post my email response to him here when I'm finished. I'm just trying to decide whether I want to lower myself to his standards or not. I probably shouldn't, but I probably will. I don't have a thing against gay people, but you could turn everything he said about smokers around and mention the health costs because of AIDS. No, gays aren't the only people who have AIDS, but they are, by far, the majority. I actually have an article on Uganda where the people refused to accept homosexuals, period, and their statistics on AIDS are unbelieveable when you compare to before and after they made homosexuality illegal. AIDS went down to almost nothing as compared to before. I am certain Louisville has more gays than rural Kentucky. I hate to go that route and I feel it's just as ridiculous and pathetic as what he said about smoking and the rural people of Kentucky, but sometimes you have to give them a taste of their own medicine to wake arrogant, extremists like this up to reality.

Pretty soon this country is going to become a Communist country with everyone trying to tell everyone how to live their lives. Soon people like this will be trying to tell people what to eat and how much of it to eat and that they have to exercise so many hours a day, etc. I mean, where does this maddness end??? Yes, smoking is horrible for people, but do we and should we really have a right to tell people how to live their lives? If so, then we should make people stop drinking and a long list of other things, too. Maybe we should even stop people that have a lot of inherited health problems from having children. This could be endless and I think by forcing people to quit smoking that they are just opening up a can of worms.

I'm just going to have to go cool down for a little while. And I agree, this man needs to move to San Fransisco or somewhere else if he isn't happy in Kentucky. I have a feeling, though, this type of person would never be happy anywhere simply because, as long as this is a free country, there are always going to be people who do not agree with him on how to live their lives. I think that's very, very sad.
This is clearly a homophobic rant. Please produce statistics proving the "majority" of people who have AIDS are gay.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:42 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,866 times
Actually it wasn't a homophobic rant; it just happened to mention a lifestyle bearing risk in order to contrast that one with smoking. jmho

Old 07-12-2008, 11:59 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
This is clearly a homophobic rant. Please produce statistics proving the "majority" of people who have AIDS are gay.
I didn't read the "rant" but to answer you question amongst men, overwhelming the majority of men with AIDS are gay, it is very rare for a women to get AIDS through homosexual contact. As this data shows.

United States HIV & AIDS statistics summary

Old 07-14-2008, 12:38 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
I didn't read the "rant" but to answer you question amongst men, overwhelming the majority of men with AIDS are gay, it is very rare for a women to get AIDS through homosexual contact. As this data shows.

United States HIV & AIDS statistics summary

I wouldn't trust that. The CDC, based in Atlanta, GA, is the authority on infectious disease in the US.

HIV and AIDS in the United States: A Picture of Today’s Epidemic | Fact Sheets | HIV/AIDS Statistics and Surveillance | Topics | CDC HIV/AIDS

Based on their data, females are much more likely to get HIV from heterosexual contact, whereas males are more likely to get it from homosexual contact. Granted, it is true there are more adult men living with HIV and AIDS (defined as CD4 count less than 200 or an opportunistic infection in HIV infected patients).

Old 07-15-2008, 04:42 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,238 times
I don't want to get in this discussion, but I will state that MSM is the largest group of HIV infected people in the US. Male homosexual contact conitnues to be the largest cause of HIV infection in the United States. In the world homosexual contact is the number one cause of HIV infection. It is also true, however, that the fastest growing demographic in the US infected with HIV is African-American females through homosexual contact. Males have a very difficult time contracting HIV from females (something like 1 in 4000 sexual encounters IIRC). Receiving males have a the highest risk of infection (something like 1 in 500 encounters), and women having sex with males are in the middle of those two risk groups.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:04 AM

6 posts, read 17,379 times
Dan Seum is my man. He's the only Dimocrat I ever supported then he wised up and got on the right side. Thank you Dan for all those years of service.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:24 PM

8 posts, read 31,981 times
I'm new to the area and will admit, we are a lot quicker to claim Louisville than the rest of Kentucky. Kentucky has the second largest KKK compound in the country, and I've had people who live near Dry Ridge tell me out right that they are sick of "other folks" (minorities & foreigners) moving to KY. That is very closed minded and unappealing for others who are open minded to listen to...not really pushing for one side or the other here, just telling you exactly what I've experienced. I am Christian, I believe in creationism, we are upper-middleclass & and I embrace people of all backgrounds. People in Louisville seem really really friendly/neighborly, progressive even but outside of Louisville there does seem to be more of an issue if you aren't a typical rural-minded Kentuckian.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:39 PM

54 posts, read 99,299 times
a few thoughts in "bold"..

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
We don't need additional cigarette taxes. (Cigarette has 1 "r") There is no eternal law stating that cigarette taxes must be raised. I don't smoke, but don't see any reason why one product should be taxed ad infinitum in this manner.

I believe the reasoning for launching criticism for a lack of cigarette tax was due to the health and welfare of our women, children and... smokers. If we are to fund them when they're ill or ailing, why shouldn't we tax the item that caused the illness.

If people want economic growth or quality schools, they need to get busy and make it happen. Posting a sign at the state's border with some cheesy slogan (anybody remember "where education pays"?) isn't going to do it. The lottery won't do it, taxes won't do it, and mocking and complaining won't do it. Big Brother and his amazing pork barrel can only do just so much. Folks are going to need to get energetic, come up with worthwhile products, get them made and sold. That's IF they want economic growth.

Quality schools will only come with quality teachers AND adherence to rules instilled by parents in our children at home. As a parent of a special needs child, it's imperative to impart knowledge to the educators PRIOR to them entering the classroom.

It could be that Kentucky is just simply destined to be a rural state. That is good. Every country needs rural regions, and Kentucky has very pretty rural regions. And to make them economically viable, people will have to get energetic and work them.

Did you say work? Don't ya know people don't want to work anymore? They want everything handed to them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky