U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 12:22 PM

26,747 posts, read 25,774,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I've lived in Kentucky all my life (so far!) and, thankfully I haven't found a town with clerks like that. I admit, no matter where you go, small town or big city, you'll always find somebody like this but it not the norm any place I've been. That usually comes from somebody that doesn't like small towns.
well, I've noted that natives of Kentucky do move at a much slower pace....but I don't mean that in a negative way...honestly I love it, though it does take some time getting used to....but people here stop and take the time to chat...or offer help...with a smile, back East it is brutal....and people are impatient. Even at the stop lights here, people do not honk at you, if you dilly dally after the light turns green. It is a much slower paced life and believe me, I'm not in the least bit complaining....I love it...so much easier on the heart. It is a learning experience...and if people complain due to impatience, ignore it....b/c for the most part, people here are genuine and kind...caring and sociable, nothing wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 01:21 PM

1,939 posts, read 4,230,304 times
When I was living in Columbus at the time, I had a work assignment in Corbin. While the town is small, especially for being off of I-75, it was rather nice. The small downtown area of Corbin had some good little restaurants. Though some of the mom and pop places, while I would not say are dirty, are not much more than a local sandwich and coffee shop. There are no true (Greek) diners outside the Philadelphia to Boston corridor, IMHO. Just as there is no (Greek) chili parlors outside Cincinnati. Funny how both have Greek ownership roots.

If you are expecting Starbucks or other chains, while there are some in Corbin, most will be about a 20 minute drive north in London. If there is not an outlet in Corbin, most national and regional chains can be found in London. And if not there, Richmond is an hour north and Lexington about 1.5 hours. Knoxville is about 1.5 hours south. Major tourist draws in the region are the Army Corp lakes in Lake Cumberland and Lake Norris (TN). Lot's of cabins (some more McMansion now than cabins) and boating (especially house boats) are big draws in the warmer months. But the crowds are more likely found out towards Somerset and possibly London than Corbin. Daniel Boone National Forest traffic is more likely to be in Corbin. Interstate traffic will be heavier in the summer, especially on weekends due to people coming/going from/to Ohio. The bridge traffic north into Cincinnati is a bear between April/May and September.

A couple of local places in Corbin to try would be:

You and Me Coffee and Tea
The Wrigley Taproom and Eatery
The Depot on Main

There are also two small format department stores in town. JC Penney and Belk (think similar to the former Elder-Beerman level of stores). There is also a Jo-Anne Fabrics, Books-a-Million, Big Lots and Ross Dress for Less.

Then there is the interstate and small town staples such as Cracker Barrel and Walmart Super Center. But there is also a Lowe's Hardware store in town as well.

While I have never been to Mayfield, I did fly into Paducah once (to go to Dexter, MO of all places). Lot's to do in Paducah as far as traditional chain shopping and dining go. Probably on par with the Bay Cities as far as outlets available. I will say Paducah has a pretty little downtown area just off the Ohio River. Paducah is about a 35-45 minute back roads drive from Mayfield per Google Maps.

Being flatter and further west, storms will be a little harsher, and tornado producing cells are not out of the ordinary in Mayfield. Corbin will be hemmed in by rolling hills and valleys to the east and west. But severe weather could still be a possibility. Forest fires, especially stemming from Daniel Boone National Forest could be of concern as well. The Cumberland Gap Parkway is a rather pretty drive down to Cumberland Gap. When I was in Corbin, I actually flew to Knoxville (I know, seems silly but I was in Columbus then). The second week I drove back via the parkway and then TN state roads to Knoxville in lieu of the Jellico Mountain pass on I-75. Good luck and I think you could do well with either location!

Old 03-19-2020, 02:23 PM

355 posts, read 685,706 times
The Corbin-London area. The main complaint I have is that you almost have to drive everywhere- walkability just doesn't exist, just a pet peeve of mine.

It is a generally a safe area, most crime is related to drugs and you don't see much stranger violent crime. You do have an active law enforcement presence at all levels (local, state and Federal) because it acts as a regional hub for those agencies.

It is a nice place to live. The cost of living is generally lower than anywhere else. We recently made national news as a local gas station was selling gas for 0.99 a gallon.

You mentioned maybe having horses someday. There are several areas around here where you could have Horses on a farm.

There isn't really hostility to 'outsiders', just don't come in determined to change everything to the way it was back home and you should do fine.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:09 PM

8,196 posts, read 13,690,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
While I have never been to Mayfield, I did fly into Paducah once (to go to Dexter, MO of all places). Lot's to do in Paducah as far as traditional chain shopping and dining go. Probably on par with the Bay Cities as far as outlets available. I will say Paducah has a pretty little downtown area just off the Ohio River. Paducah is about a 35-45 minute back roads drive from Mayfield per Google Maps.
The drive from Mayfield to Paducah is about 25 miles straight up the 4 lane US 45, per me driving it quite often. lol My wife has some of her doctors' appointments there. You can take the old hwy. 45 which would make it about 30 miles, but at 55 rather than 65 MPH on the 4 lane.

One road that will help, hopefully, bring business and people to Mayfield is I-69. 69 goes from near Brownsville, Texas to near Port Huron, Michigan. The stretch of the Purchase Parkway (which is also part of I-69) from just south of Mayfield to the Tennesse line, hasn't been upgraded to interstate status yet, as has US 51/ I-69 Corridor in Tennessee from Fulton to Memphis. But even that part is 4 lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or