Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 4,096 times

Advertisements

I live in MI (about 20 minutes from Flint) and me and my family are getting tired of living near the some of the most dangerous cities in the country, putting up with the depressing cold/chilly weather that dominates roughly half or more than half of the year, and the population growth (at least in the local area of the county I live in). We would LOVE to move to Kentucky for shorter winters and supposedly less crime, particularly to either the SE part of the state as we have lots of family in Corbin, or the Mayfield area in the west. Now I have been doing a lot of research, particularly on crime and population trends (again, getting sick of crowding in my current area), but I would like to see what locals think of these regions. Aforementioned relatives seem to have positive things to say about the Corbin-London area in terms of safety and cozy rural living, would anyone else vouch for that? I don't have any reason to doubt them, I just want a broader consensus. Also, is the Mayfield area nice? Crime seems to be reported as relatively low in most parts, but are locals in general pretty welcoming of outsiders? We don't care so much about lack of city/big town entertainment or "nothing to do" as we are very laid back and very much in love with rural country settings. We're even planning on horses eventually. Presence or lack of economy isn't a big deal either as we are self employed in commercial art through out of state clients and we work at home. I appreciate any sort of insight on the hospitality of these two areas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 03:54 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Just wanted to give you a greeting...Hi! Welcome to the Kentucky forums here at City Data.
I can't answer your questions, about Corbin or Mayfield, because I have only lived in Lexington and Louisville.
I have never heard of Corbin or Mayfield being a hot bed of crime though, if that helps.
Most of the people that I know from small towns in Kentucky, don't even lock their doors at night though, if that is any help.

I am sure there are exceptions, but most of the small towns in Kentucky seem very friendly to newcomers/outsiders.
We have driven through several downtown areas of small towns in Kentucky and have had people wave at us or greet us, and they had
entirely no idea who we were or where we come from...I have no idea if this would extend to new neighbors from out of state, but in most areas I imagine it would, at least to some extent.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:20 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,103,690 times
^I love Kentucky, but everyplace is not for everyone....do visit multiple times and investigate for yourself! That can be invaluable to your
ultimate level of satisfaction and happiness in the end results.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:44 PM

Thanks! That's good to hear how friendly Kentuckians seems to be from your experience. I'll definitely be making trips down personally to check things out first, but I'm quite hopeful.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:58 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
As far as the cold chilly weather, you would have loved it here this winter. According to our local TV weatherman this area had more days with temps over 70 (4) than inches of measurable snow (trace), for the first time in recorded weather history. Just watch out for the humidity during the summer!
How about hearing from somebody from Mayfield, like me! lol I was born and raised here then moved back after 40 years after my mother passed away to take care of my dad. That was 8 years ago and don't plan on leaving. Mayfield is a small friendly town. It's not unusual to get a hello from people when you're walking around town. You don't mention if you have any "little atrainguys" running around the house but we have 2 very good school systems, Mayfield Independent and Graves County, plus a christian school, Northside Baptist Christian School.
Our biggest industry in the area right now is a chicken processing plant a few miles north of town and we have an industrial park working on drawing more in.
There is a nice park in town with picnic shelters, walking paths, playgrounds, miniature golf, disc golf and a fishing pond. One of the walking paths connects to the YMCA. There are days I've been out there and the parking lot is full. The fishing pond is going to be restocked this week with trout, bass and catfish.
We're in the middle of a good area. Murray State University is about 20 miles SE, Paducah, about 25 miles north, where people go for shopping, eating out and shows, and Kentucky Lake and the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area, about 25 miles east. Kentucky Lake is the largest man made lake east of the Mississippi River.
I'm good at rambling on a lot, but I always looked forward to moving back to Mayfield and don't plan on leaving. It's a good little town.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the response, kygman! Mayfield definitely sounds like a great town. That winter is definitely right up my alley, too! I don't necessarily need a solid warm winter like Florida, just regular breaks from sucky cold and snow, like what you're describing.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:39 AM

In a usual winter, a "big" snow is around 8-10 inches. Have a friend move here from New York who thought it was funny to see doctor offices, schools, etc., close down for less snow than that.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:37 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrainguy60 View Post
I live in MI (about 20 minutes from Flint) and me and my family are getting tired of living near the some of the most dangerous cities in the country, putting up with the depressing cold/chilly weather that dominates roughly half or more than half of the year, and the population growth (at least in the local area of the county I live in). We would LOVE to move to Kentucky for shorter winters and supposedly less crime, particularly to either the SE part of the state as we have lots of family in Corbin, or the Mayfield area in the west. Now I have been doing a lot of research, particularly on crime and population trends (again, getting sick of crowding in my current area), but I would like to see what locals think of these regions. Aforementioned relatives seem to have positive things to say about the Corbin-London area in terms of safety and cozy rural living, would anyone else vouch for that? I don't have any reason to doubt them, I just want a broader consensus. Also, is the Mayfield area nice? Crime seems to be reported as relatively low in most parts, but are locals in general pretty welcoming of outsiders? We don't care so much about lack of city/big town entertainment or "nothing to do" as we are very laid back and very much in love with rural country settings. We're even planning on horses eventually. Presence or lack of economy isn't a big deal either as we are self employed in commercial art through out of state clients and we work at home. I appreciate any sort of insight on the hospitality of these two areas!
Crime in Kentucky is low, and what non-property crime there is generally involves people who know each other. Kentucky is a safe place to live, especially once you leave the few metro areas.

Most people are very friendly, although you will find in some locations people have known each other’s families for generations and getting really close with them can be challenging. Churches, if you have a religious inclination, are a ready venue to meet a lot of locals at once and joining one is an easy way to become integrated in most communities, especially small ones. It is fine if you aren’t religious, most Kentuckians tend to have a “you do you” philosophy, provided you are not an annoying person.

The places you asked about are anything but crowded and unlikely to become so in most of our lifetimes. Many people who live in those areas get in the habit of driving to their nearest large city for shopping and amenities on a regular basis, such as once or twice a month, and enjoy living away from the rest of the crazy world the rest of the time.

Kentucky is a lovely state, with a low cost-of-living, beautiful natural green spaces, and charming people, making it quite appealing to people as they age. The big caution I give to people, because it’s the biggest gripe I hear from newcomers once they move here, is that Kentucky does operate at a slower pace than most of America. That includes clerks in stores and other places you think ought to be more efficient, and not only won’t they won’t be hurried, but they’ll slow down if you insist on them operating otherwise.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:22 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
No matter where you move to there is always a trade off....if you move to Western Kentucky it will be nice to not have snow & much milder weather, but you will be in the tornado belt.

The people are genuinely nice, hospitable and friendly, however, if you live in an area, where restaurants and good dining and I don't mean fine dining are a love of yours, this is not the area for you to move. I came from back east and have been coming to Kentucky since I was a very young woman....but, let me tell you, the cooking here is extremely depressed...where I came from great cooking had become a fine art...here, some of the eating places are not even that clean...you really have to pick and chose...

Back in the east. diners were still working places known for great home cooking, here, you walk into a place they call a diner, and there is a blackboard with maybe 3 or 4 cooked meals (they call their specials) and the rest is sandwiches, both hot and cold.

I am used to walking into a restaurant, and being handed a menu and in that menu there is an 8 x 10 page of specials on them and their Turkey and dressing is horrible, made with corn bread. I have found that Cracker Barrel and two or three other establishments are incredibly good, but not many. Also, the cleanliness in the restaurants, isn't like back home....however, there are a whole lot of other positive perks.

As far as crime, I believe it is everywhere....sad to say....there are a lot of hot headed rednecks in Kentucky, and you see it when you go out shopping, especially to Walmart. Everyone carries, and just a few years ago, shootings here were unheard of.

Where I live, the roads are maintained very well and kept in tip top shape, they repair the smallest pothole, very quickly.

As far as schools are concerned, you have to do your homework....and people will pay higher prices for housing just to get into a good school district.

All in all, I love it here, but have resolved myself to believe that going out to eat, is a real chore and yet, everyone here goes out to eat, all the time, the places are all packed for lunch and dinner. My family and I have resolved ourselves to believe that these people do not know what good food is. I went to a Salad Works and it was horrible...wilted food, all the fixings in the case, looked like they put it there for four and five days in a row....and it wasn't to clean. I won't go back there....and yet, there are good reviews about the place.

If someone from back east would come here and open a diner, they would make a killing, believe me, and I"m not talking a chain, but a really good ol fashioned diner....they'd be in line all day to get in....

property and housing is very reasonable, but starting to climb, b/c more people are moving in, not like back East....at all, so that is a perk...and there are more and more corporations moving in...

Traffic is bad...lots of waiting at stop lights, and these towns were not built for high traffic areas, but believe me, there are a lot of people as yourself, looking to get out.

We have shootings now it seems every week, which was unheard of just 3 years ago, and the locals are all up in air about it...you don't want to get hot headed with any of the locals, while on the road, so be prepared to be patient wait and be courteous.

The city is very clean...but some of the restaurants, not so much....I went to one a few weeks ago, and I've never done this before, but I phoned the corporation in Tn. and reported them....horrible!

So, you live and learn, it's all an experience, but always keep in mind, no matter where you move to, there is always a trade off, there is no perfect world....

Some of the locals that I've had the opportunity to chat with, like you hope to find, have moved to surrounding areas and do not mind traveling 30 to 45 minutes to work. Like you they want to be further away from city life....and people...it's all about what your looking for....stay away from the bigger cities in Kentucky...and please research the schools.

As far as church, I'm in the Bible Belt, so.....some of them are strict....but my son has found a church they love, you just have to church hop for a while and get to know people....

Where I live, my son is a police officer, and they are constantly hiring, b/c the town is growing a lot, and lots are retiring...but there is crime and shootings here, just not nearly as much as back east. Its basically theft, and in your face disagreements, it seems like no one knows how to communicate with each other any longer....so they call the police????

When you move, before buying I would definitely rent for a year, and store your things, so that you can take your time and find a place that fits you and your family. Unless you know the area well that your moving to.

You might want to research Paducah....I myself love it here except for the restaurants, but there is no perfect place to live....

Good Luck

Last edited by cremebrulee; 03-15-2020 at 11:39 AM..

Old 03-16-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The big caution I give to people, because it’s the biggest gripe I hear from newcomers once they move here, is that Kentucky does operate at a slower pace than most of America. That includes clerks in stores and other places you think ought to be more efficient, and not only won’t they won’t be hurried, but they’ll slow down if you insist on them operating otherwise.
I've lived in Kentucky all my life (so far!) and, thankfully I haven't found a town with clerks like that. I admit, no matter where you go, small town or big city, you'll always find somebody like this but it not the norm any place I've been. That usually comes from somebody that doesn't like small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky