U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 09:13 AM

16,969 posts, read 4,611,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What no one mentions anymore is that the lockdown was never intended to be months long. The purpose of the lockdown was to give medical professionals and hospitals a period of time in order to prepare for the oncoming onslaught of sick people that would probably require hospitalization. At first that time period was estimated to be 2 weeks and then was extended for another 2 weeks. It was never intended for the purpose of keeping the economy closed for 3 months which we are now approaching.
Mountains were moved so hospitals, doctors and nurses could be better prepared and that goal was achieved and surpassed weeks ago.
Yes, it's horrible that thousands of people have died and will continue to die from this but we need to come to the realization that this virus will continue to be among us for a long time to come. It's no consolation to those who have lost friends and loved ones but this virus has had a much lower mortality rate than was initially thought. Nearly half of the deaths have been in people 75 and older and many of those have been from outbreaks in nursing homes appearing in clusters. This virus is not the Black Death of the middle ages.
Somewhere along the way some governors, counties and mayors have lost perspective and have made the cure worse than the virus itself which was my worse fear when this whole nightmare began. I'm afraid Kentucky has fallen into this category.
Think about it this way, has there ever been a time when a Govt has taken peoples freedoms away...but then willingly gave them back, without a major battle?

Something devious going on with Beshear suddenly allowing places to re open.Once Govt has your freedoms...you ARE NOT getting them back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 09:59 AM

346 posts, read 224,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Think about it this way, has there ever been a time when a Govt has taken peoples freedoms away...but then willingly gave them back, without a major battle?

Something devious going on with Beshear suddenly allowing places to re open.Once Govt has your freedoms...you ARE NOT getting them back.
St. Louis in 1918?

This isn't the first time we have had to go to lockdown procedures. A lot of schools in Texas cancelled their proms and graduations in 2009 due to the H1N1 flu at that time.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:25 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,969,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What no one mentions anymore is that the lockdown was never intended to be months long. The purpose of the lockdown was to give medical professionals and hospitals a period of time in order to prepare for the oncoming onslaught of sick people that would probably require hospitalization. At first that time period was estimated to be 2 weeks and then was extended for another 2 weeks. It was never intended for the purpose of keeping the economy closed for 3 months which we are now approaching.
Mountains were moved so hospitals, doctors and nurses could be better prepared and that goal was achieved and surpassed weeks ago.
Yes, it's horrible that thousands of people have died and will continue to die from this but we need to come to the realization that this virus will continue to be among us for a long time to come. It's no consolation to those who have lost friends and loved ones but this virus has had a much lower mortality rate than was initially thought. Nearly half of the deaths have been in people 75 and older and many of those have been from outbreaks in nursing homes appearing in clusters. This virus is not the Black Death of the middle ages.
Somewhere along the way some governors, counties and mayors have lost perspective and have made the cure worse than the virus itself which was my worse fear when this whole nightmare began. I'm afraid Kentucky has fallen into this category.
Amen! See my posts (#16, 18 & 20) saying something very similar in a thread - https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...e-down-co.html - on the New Mexico C-D forum. The original stated purpose of the lockdowns has been forgotten, either unintentionally or on purpose for other reasons. It's no wonder that more and more people are wondering about how much politics is now driving this issue.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:10 PM

8,351 posts, read 4,645,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I agree no one wants to see anyone die, but there are people who would indeed like to see the economy crash. The people who want the state opened back up don’t value life any less than you do, they just have a different perspective on what’s in the best interest of the people of this state.

I too would most likely die if I get CV-19, I can check pretty much all of the boxes that make the virus more lethal. I am truly grateful we are currently living in an out of the way place in Kentucky instead of my former home, which has the most cases and deaths in Virginia. I have quite a few former neighbors who have tested positive. I’ve also already lost relatives living in hotspots to this disease, . But that is me......

I’ve also had 3 former students try to commit suicide, 2 successfully. All males living alone who lost their job or had their business shut down. One specifically stated the shutdown in his letter. I know of at least a handful of former students who have overdosed during this. I could go on, but the bottom line is we have got to stop destroying young lives to protect old ladies like us. You and I need to strictly isolate ourselves and let the rest of Kentucky go back living their lives as a community instead of being forced to be hermits. It isn’t good for anyone but people like you and me, and at some point we’ve got to say their lives matter too.

I am sorry that you lost some family members, and about your students.Yes, of course their lives matter...more than ours even, if they are young and haven't really lived their lives yet.
I am not saying we shouldn't reopen ever.I mean we are starting to do that now..and to do so in a cautious way, slowly just makes more sense to me. Its not every day you have a pandemic...it is a historical event we are living through.I think they were just trying to save lives and not overwhelm all the hospitals, etc at once. Good luck, stay safe and healthy.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I’ve also had 3 former students try to commit suicide, 2 successfully. All males living alone who lost their job or had their business shut down. One specifically stated the shutdown in his letter. I know of at least a handful of former students who have overdosed during this. I could go on, but the bottom line is we have got to stop destroying young lives to protect old ladies like us. You and I need to strictly isolate ourselves and let the rest of Kentucky go back living their lives as a community instead of being forced to be hermits. It isn’t good for anyone but people like you and me, and at some point we’ve got to say their lives matter too.
I kind of wondered from the beginning why they didn't just isolate the ones at high risk too.But they chose a different path...most of the world has followed the path that we took, in one way or another....except Sweden and Brazil maybe a few others.

I have never understood the suicide thing just because things are bad or even if you lose everything.
I have been in that situation. I have lost everything. You have to keep hope up that as long as their is life there is hope.
I literally lost everything when I was younger...but thank God it didn't occur to me to just end my life.
It was a hard time to be sure, but I never considered it the end of the world for me.

I would have missed out on some of the best days and times of my life, if I had. My former employers lost their business in the recession of 2008...it had been their lives dream that they had worked for, yet they had to close down, but no one in the family killed themselves they continued on with their lives and rebuilt their lives. They are all healthy and successful today. Just in different ways than what they were.
Life is hard and it throws us some terrible punches at times. Very few people have it totally easy.Life can be hard.

I am not judging them for committing suicide, I am just saying it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I think we have a lot of mental health issues in the country that contribute to this. Depression can be a hard abyss to overcome.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
It's a novel virus and nobody really knew much about it at first. We learned about it more and more as we went along.
In the end, shut down only lasted what 60 to 90 days? If we would have done nothing, they were expecting over two millions of Americans would have died in a short period of time...like President Trump said people would have been dropping dead in the streets if we had let that happen, and it would have been way worse. Hopefully, our economy can recoup.
We may lose that many people eventually anyway, but it was worth a calculated risk to try to save lives and to not overwhelm the medical professionals, all at once.
Hopefully, we will find a cure or vaccine so this nightmare will finally be over, and just a bad memory for us all.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 05-24-2020 at 08:48 PM..

Old 05-24-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

If they are trying to take away your freedom and never give it back, then why are they opening up again right now?

It was a temporary measure in a time of plague/pandemic to try to ease an emergency, never meant to be a
final forever measure to snatch away anyone's freedom. You have to look at it rationally. There were no perfect choices...they just did the best that they could do.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:07 PM

11,002 posts, read 9,208,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
If they are trying to take away your freedom and never give it back, then why are they opening up again right now?

It was a temporary measure in a time of plague/pandemic to try to ease an emergency, never meant to be a
final forever measure to snatch away anyone's freedom. You have to look at it rationally. There were no perfect choices...they just did the best that they could do.
Thank you for gently pointing this out - the poster to whom you were responding apparently didn't recognize this clear contradiction in their own post.

I have to wonder how some of those (not here online, but in "real" life) who are protesting so vociferously, often while declaring themselves "patriots", that their freedoms are being taken away would have fared given the far more stringent challenges of previous generations: civilian life during the Civil War in occupied (by either side, or worse yet, by criminal bushwhackers) areas.

Or, dealing with the rationing of food, tires, clothing, and other items during WWII (and for years afterwards, in the UK, where civilians also had to try to survive the Blitz. Trying to survive the 1918 flu epidemic.

Surviving any one of the many wars our country has fought. Surviving concentration camps. Surviving German and Japanese prisoner of war camps. Surviving American internment camps of citizens of Japanese ancestry, a shameful episode in our own country (but not to be compared with the Nazi concentration camps).

In all of the above cases, most of our ancestors did what they could, survived and went on to live productive lives, without complaining loudly about their hardships or claiming their Constitutional liberties were being trampled upon.

History and government instruction must be sorely lacking in our schools.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:07 PM

7,333 posts, read 5,125,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
History and government instruction must be sorely lacking in our schools.
They've been edged aside by ignorant talk radio hosts and Facebook memes. People gravitate toward sources that validate the way they want to see the world, and by god, that's that.

Great posts by you and CCL. She really surrounded the whole issue in 25 words or less, and you fleshed it out wonderfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or