Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 05:10 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Please note this is in red, meaning I am speaking as the moderator of the forum in this post, not as a poster.

Just a reminder - this is the Kentucky forum, NOT the Politics and Other Controversies forum. There are posters starting to get ugly and impolite, that is not allowed here. In the words of our governor, “We can’t be doing that.”

If you want to engage in ugly political rhetoric, over-the-top partisan arguing, nasty rumor mongering, use rude nicknames for the politician, or have a verbal slug fest with other posters then please start a thread in P&OC on this topic, where that tone is more appropriate. Additionally, as the Kentucky forum the focus should be on KENTUCKY politics, not national politics. Senator McConnell does have a national impact since he is also Senate Leader McConnell, so that can belong in the conversation, but the primary focus still should be on how Kentucky and it’s people are involved. If you want to focus only on the nation please start a thread in P&OC on the topic.

This is nothing personal, I am also a moderator in P&OC, if this thread were over there none of the posts on here, at least so far, would be problematic, and I would not give them a second thought. None are so bad, had they been there instead of here, that what was written would have called for them to be edited or deleted, and frankly, on a personal level, I love a good robust debate. This however is an area forum, where there is a different expectation for the tone and content of posts, meaning it is expected to be far more conversational and less controversial.

Some moderators don’t allow any threads about politics in their state forums but I like to be able to leave up threads about Kentucky politics because it is a part of living in Kentucky and it has a huge impact on the people living in Kentucky or thinking about moving here, but they have to remain civil and they have to remain about Kentucky. If a thread in this forum can not do both of those two things it has to be closed. I don’t like doing that so I try at first to just edit and delete, but if that isn’t working then I try warning people in hopes the thread can continue - that is exactly the purpose of this post.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-01-2020 at 05:29 AM..

Old 06-01-2020, 12:22 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kentuckian View Post
Those who have an issue with McConnell doing what he can for Kentucky need to blame the political games of Washington. Also, Rand Paul is a libertarian and as such he is against pork spending - so those who bless us with their holier than thou presence need to take a seat.

Last time I checked, the 1st Amendment was still around. You may not like what others have to say, but they have every right to express their views, as long as it is done peacefully.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:41 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I just don't get the motivations of the guy. He could have done some really great things for America but he chose to rape it instead. Never wanted to fund infrastructure especially during Obama's terms. All he cares about his getting Conservative judges on the bench. What a great legacy

Ditch mitch!
Many Kentuckians and others who've looked into Mitch McConnell's history for an explanation of his likely motivation(s) have noted that he was not part of the in-crowd in high school, nor was he ever wealthy before getting involved in national politics. Both can be powerful motivators, especially when the $$$ starts flowing from shady sources that might be revealed all too clearly should he leave elected office (which I hope happens soon - Kentucky deserves much better).

It's not just the money that is concerning - it's those 300+ bills piled up on Mitch McConnell's desk. Why does one man have this kind of power, which is clearly against the interests of the people of the United States? McConnell strikes me as cynical, conceited, snobbish, and anything but a patriotic Kentuckian and American. I want someone honest, forthright, and intelligent in office, who will listen to Kentuckians and serve and represent them rather than fill their own pockets while neglecting Kentucky's obvious, glaring needs.

I wish more Kentuckians would look more deeply into McConnell's financial affairs and the sources of his wealth. Many would have their eyes opened. His wealth and power are in stark contrast with Kentucky's consistently poor ranking in education, per capita income, employment (under normal circumstances). environmental concerns, and so on. McConnell was well-off but not extremely wealthy when he was first elected to represent Kentucky in the Senate. Given the modest salaries paid to senators, where did his remarkable wealth come from?

As for McConnell's power benefiting Kentucky, it has largely served to benefit himself, his family and his political cronies (both here and abroad), not the people of our beautiful Commonwealth. Sure, he tosses a few crumbs our way from time to time. But he's the one at the banquet table. Kentucky and Kentuckians deserve better and it's high time for an overdue change.
Moderator cut: See DM

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-01-2020 at 02:13 PM..

Old 06-01-2020, 02:14 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Sigh...... I may need to re-think my position on threads with a political aspect to them.

THREAD CLOSED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky