Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2020, 04:27 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times

Advertisements

The logics of our CoVid primary went much smoother than anticipated. I am happy that both Kentucky Democratic and Republican leadership have supported the process and equally defended any and all accusations of shenanigans by outside agitators. It’s too bad the rest of the nation can’t follow suite.

On the other hand, this was supposed to be a sleeper primary but the Democratic senate nomination has turned into an extremely tight race! In Bullitt County McGrath won by only 2 votes, and is the only of Louisville’s surrounding counties that she won. Of course neither Jefferson or Fayette has been tabulated yet.

I’m not sure how they are calling these counties 100% though since the mail-in ballots were still being dropped off on Election Day and we are supposed to have more mail-in votes than in-person votes.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:19 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,115,126 times
There is a Partisan divide in Kentucky too, just like the rest of the nation...but it doesn't seem quite as harsh or almost violent, like it is in much of the country any more. The sides do disagree at times, but often they are able to get along fine with each other and keep doing their job. I wish it were that way everywhere. We all, after all, all Americans.

I liked Amy...I do try to respect anyone who served in the Military, but Booker came out of nowhere really....actually considering what the tone of the nation is right now, he might actually be the best candidate. I have only seen a little bit of him, but what I have seen, I like so far. It is surprising it is so close, that came out suddenly, out of nowhere. (Nationally, many people supported Amy..but Booker seems to have a lot of local support behind him. That can win elections. And rightly so.)

I am glad that things went so peacefully. It will take longer to tabulate this time, due to their being much more mail in ballots to tabulate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 08:16 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
I've seen stories on facebook where they make it sound like they just shut down a lot of polling places just leaving people out in the cold. I told the ones who posted that everybody has had several weeks to vote in person, usually at the county clerk's office or you could vote by mail, like we did. And all the people listening to the president saying voting by mail isn't a safe way to vote and would be very bad. Then why have he and the first lady voted that way? Voting by mail has been going on since the Civil War.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:52 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
There is a Partisan divide in Kentucky too, just like the rest of the nation...but it doesn't seem quite as harsh or almost violent, like it is in much of the country any more. The sides do disagree at times, but often they are able to get along fine with each other and keep doing their job. I wish it were that way everywhere. We all, after all, all Americans.
I fear November may be a very different story - this one is going to get ugly, given the role McConnell plays in the current national power structure. I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I've seen stories on facebook where they make it sound like they just shut down a lot of polling places just leaving people out in the cold. I told the ones who posted that everybody has had several weeks to vote in person, usually at the county clerk's office or you could vote by mail, like we did. And all the people listening to the president saying voting by mail isn't a safe way to vote and would be very bad. Then why have he and the first lady voted that way? Voting by mail has been going on since the Civil War.
My wife and I were planning to vote by mail, and would have loved to have done so. Trouble is, our ballots have yet to arrive. I know this is an imperfect world, and exceptional circumstances, and I'm not certain how widespread that particular problem was, but it didn't exactly inspire an abundance of confidence in the Kentucky elections system amongst the voters in our household.

Oh - and also, voting by mail seems to work fine for the military. Oregon's been doing it for 20 years, and they're quite happy with it. Properly administered, it's by far the best way to vote.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:25 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
We got our ballots a couple of days before and mailed them in. I would rather there be a two or three week early voting window like we had in Virginia. It was a regular ballot, IDs were checked, you slid it through the scanner just like you would Election Day, and you knew your vote was counted. Our county was one of ones with automatic approval because of commute issues and they just had two or three workers man it from 8-5 Tuesday-Saturday, except Thursday which was open noon-8 pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: