Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2020, 10:50 AM

36 posts, read 53,794 times

Advertisements

Hi all, this is my second post in this forum, and I am reaching out as my criteria has somewhat evolved. My family is considering relocating from SC and KY is a possibility. Here are our criteria:

low crime
no significant drug problem (I know this is somewhat everywhere but KY seems to come out on bottom in most research so what is the actual deal with it?)
mountain views with a mixture of land to build on/farm
access to natural beauty such as creeks, waterfalls, hiking
affordable land (20 acres or so)
low to no building restrictions (allowance of homesteading and the building of one's own home)

Does anywhere in Kentucky fit this bill? I know traveling will best help to figure this out but I need to narrow it down somewhat before then. Before I was looking east of Lexington, but am now wondering if south central would make more sense (land more suitable for growing etc). Outside of Bowling Green, London, Somerset? There are so many counties, if any of them fit our criteria please help us narrow it down a bit. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 02:42 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
I recently bought a small tract of rural land myself and looking through lots of listings the cheapest land seems to be South Central KY, along and south of Cumberland Pky from near Glasgow to Somerset. In coal mining areas of EKY a lot of land is bulk owned by coal and timber companies, so land prices are higher than expected. Codes are usually more lax the more rural the county, though everything within a couple counties of Lexington is very strict with minimum acreage to build a home, no mobile homes, etc.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:22 PM

Thanks! We’re looking for a homesteading friendly county where you can live in an rv, build your own home etc without someone over your shoulder. Any counties to avoid for one reason or another?

Old 07-15-2020, 09:17 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
They aren't going to have mountain scenery but around Hopkinsville and Russellville fit decently on most other criteria. Hill country and lakes nearby, mountains reachable on long weekends.

Crossville TN is another option. Nice natural areas. Moderate hills, some waterfalls I believe. Some land prices are jacked up as recreational / retirement property but go 20-40 miles out and it is probably more reasonable.

Yet another option would be the area of SW Virginia between Abingdon and Wytheville.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-15-2020 at 09:43 PM..

Old 07-17-2020, 09:49 AM

Does anyone know counties that are friendly to this kind of thing? That allow rv living, building ones own home, etc. I can never find Ky mentioned in homesteading resources but always TN. So just trying to figure out if this is possible there, as I’m turned off by TNs crime rate.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,016 times
Default Areas to Avoid

I have a lot of experience in Adair, Cumberland and Metcalfe counties and less experience in the surrounding counties. I would avoid Burkesville and Glasgow and the immediate vicinity of Edmonton (city limits and maybe a mile or two out). Otherwise, the stretch you are looking at (Russell County to Bowling Green) is pretty nice in my experience. I would really avoid Burkesville, though.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:28 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,385 times
I have a little experience also...why would you avoid Glasgow?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky