Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 09:21 AM

36 posts, read 53,811 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have had trouble narrowing down where we should be looking to move in KY. Our factors to consider are:
-we have children but homeschool so public school system isn't important
-want "country", rural, houses are spread apart and private living
-husband is a carpenter and quail farmer
-would like a lot of land, so land cost matters
-would like to be within 15 minutes of a Walmart, in a nice town
-would like to be within an hour of a "large" city, such as Lexington
-do not want to live in a house in between two mountains, but love a mountain view with close access
-family enjoys gardening, farming, hunting, fishing, creeks, and hiking, so close access to "mountainous" area

I have been least drawn to:
1. Eastern KY (due to economy and isolation)
2. Western KY (due to lack of access to "mountainous" fishing, hiking, etc.)

I have been most drawn to:
1. Danville (but am thinking it may not have close access to hiking, creeks, etc.
2. Jessamine County (for its proximity to Lexington and assuming the palisades provide hunting, fishing, hiking)
3. Madison County (maybe Berea?) (for its proximity to the mountains without actually being in the mountains, but as a conservative family am wondering if we would fit in in this area)

Am I looking in the right area for us? Any advice is much appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 12:49 PM

To clarify, the Walmart would be in a nice "town", our land would be outside of the "town"

Old 04-22-2019, 05:28 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,101,600 times
Danville is close to Lexington (only about 30 -35 miles away) I live in Lexington, and have worked with multiple people who commuted to Lexington daily to work. Danville has it's own Wal-mart, and then again their is more than one in Lexington (You also have Krogers, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and many more in Lexington).
Lots of hiking and creeks in the area also.
Raven Run, The Arboretum, Jacobson Park to name just a few.

Jessamine is close to Lexington also....I have a cousin who commutes every day from Wilmore
to Lexington. It's very pretty there and sounds like what you might be looking for.

I don't think you would have problems in Madison Country....Liberal in Kentucky, is still somewhat
conservative.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:31 AM

577 posts, read 493,824 times
May want to give south of Louisville a look where I grew up. Around Elizabethtown, Bardstown, and even the surrounding counties that have a lot of "hill side" properties that are scenic, without the extra work of accessing real mountains. Lots of land available that is farm worthy or just for tinkering about. JMO

Old 04-24-2019, 05:33 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
kydc, I know they aren't "mountainous" but, like I told somebody else a few weeks ago, once you get settled in eastern Ky., take a vacation to the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. There's over 500 miles of hiking and biking trails in 170,000 acres. And plenty of fishing...except when I take my fishing pole over there! lol

Old 04-29-2019, 01:43 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,118,900 times
Ohio county.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:31 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydc View Post
Hello, I have had trouble narrowing down where we should be looking to move in KY. Our factors to consider are:
-we have children but homeschool so public school system isn't important
-want "country", rural, houses are spread apart and private living
-husband is a carpenter and quail farmer
-would like a lot of land, so land cost matters
-would like to be within 15 minutes of a Walmart, in a nice town
-would like to be within an hour of a "large" city, such as Lexington
-do not want to live in a house in between two mountains, but love a mountain view with close access
-family enjoys gardening, farming, hunting, fishing, creeks, and hiking, so close access to "mountainous" area

I have been least drawn to:
1. Eastern KY (due to economy and isolation)
2. Western KY (due to lack of access to "mountainous" fishing, hiking, etc.)

I have been most drawn to:
1. Danville (but am thinking it may not have close access to hiking, creeks, etc.
2. Jessamine County (for its proximity to Lexington and assuming the palisades provide hunting, fishing, hiking)
3. Madison County (maybe Berea?) (for its proximity to the mountains without actually being in the mountains, but as a conservative family am wondering if we would fit in in this area)

Am I looking in the right area for us? Any advice is much appreciated...
Without a specified budget, it's hard/pointless to recommend somewhere that truly could work

Old 05-05-2019, 12:11 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,625,643 times
Quote:
To me, this is the only option that fits your entire list. If hiking and outdoor activity is as important to you as it is to me, scratch Danville right off the list. I live there, and I have to drive at least an hour round trip just to get a decent hike. That may not sound all that bad at first glance, but if you have a family, time can be hard to come by, and an hour each way means a lot of weekend afternoons that you just wind up staying home instead of commuting to your hike.

What kind of problem are you afraid you'd have in a more liberal area? Even the most "liberal" part of Kentucky is still more conservative than most of the rest of the country. People here mind their own business; nobody's going to key your car if you have a Trump sticker on it. If what you mean is that you don't want to be around liberals, then that's just something you'll have to come to terms with on your own. But the Berea area is the only place on your list that ticks every box.

Where are you coming from, and what is it that made you want Kentucky?

Old 05-07-2019, 01:36 PM

Thank you for your replies.
Mr In Between, we have no problem with a mixture of people with different backgrounds and views. However, as a conservative family I feel it is possible that we would have trouble fitting in a very liberal community (which I understand you're saying is not the case here). We have family in the Morehead, KY area and have just come to love the state. Coming from flat SC, we are looking for mountain views and changing topography. Also, KY is a big step up as far as crime rating compared to SC.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:54 PM

Does the actual Berea area fit all criteria? Or would we need to be farther out in Madison Co or even a surrounding county? We do need to keep land costs low as we are looking for a larger piece on a smaller budget. Estill or Powell Co?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky