Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2020, 03:17 PM

21 posts, read 16,560 times

Advertisements

Hello. My family and I love KY. As a child, I had family in Mt. Vernon and would spend a few weeks each year in the surrounding area. My partner and kids have been twice now and enjoyed it as well. Looking to list/ sell our current home in the spring and move before school starts next year. What are your thoughts on the Somerset area. I work from home, so just need reliable internet. My partner will be looking for a new job [info on that needed as well..are there jobs available? companies to research?] Due to COVID we had to cancel a trip this Spring, but hoping to visit to job search etc. in late Sept/ early October. Are the schools decent? Things to do in colder months? What's the culture like? Decent dining out? Family friendly neighborhoods? My kids take dance lessons and play most sports. They will be in 1st and 4th grade when we hope to move.

The budget depends on how they will evaluate his current job/ relocating to a new position. Right now we are approved for 190,000. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Our current town is around 2500 people, two stop lights, three gas stations, a bank, Mcdonalds, and a pizza place. There are about 75-85 kids per grade level, and a few sports/ arts activities are available. We enjoy going to the near by lakes and rivers to swim and kayak, also camp yearly; we are outdoorsy and active. Hoping to make friends when we move, enjoy hosting our current neighbors and close friends with backyard BBQ and the annual Halloween Costume Party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 04:16 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,081 times
If you're into lakes, they don't get better than Lake Cumberland which is in Somerst's back door.

It is a huge impoundment.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:50 PM

Thank you for the response. Look forward to the Lake.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:23 PM

14,759 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Hi! Welcome to the Kentucky forums here at City Data.

So many nice Kentucky Lakes
Dale Hollow
Cumberland Lake

Kentucky Lake
Lake Barkley
Laurel Lake

Green River Lake
Buckhorn Lake
Taylorsville Lake
Lake at Pennyrile forest
Cave Run Lake

There are several websites that look at the ratings of Lakes,

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/kentucky/lakes-in-ky/
https://www.thecrazytourist.com/15-best-lakes-kentucky/

People in Kentucky are usually pretty down to earth and friendly. I can't speak for the various small towns, as I have only lived in Louisville and Lexington.

Old 08-14-2020, 06:28 AM

21 posts, read 33,779 times
+1 on plenty of lakes!!!
somersets a pretty big town actually.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:02 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Somerset had a lot of chain fast food restaurants and shopping. Job market and local hospitals are ok but not great. Job options are far better towards the I-64 metros.

Old 08-17-2020, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the additional information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky