Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 06:18 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I feel so bad for the owners and trainers of her.
I don't!!! How much $$$ will they get from insurance? The only one I feel sorry for is the winner. All you are hearing about is Eight Belles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 06:29 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I don't!!! How much $$$ will they get from insurance? The only one I feel sorry for is the winner. All you are hearing about is Eight Belles.
Not everything is about the money. The owner was crying on TV over the death of his horse.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:36 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
I'm not associated with them in any way, but where are the folks from PETA when these horses are basically run to death? You would think that is something they'd be all over.

A horse being whipped until its ankles give out and crumble. Nice "sport".

Old 05-04-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Not everything is about the money.
Yeah...sure.

I watch the derby every year and I try to understand the pomp and circumstance, but I just don't get it. All that hoopla for ONE lap or so. And they call NASCAR dumb...at least they go 500 laps!!! LOL

Old 05-04-2008, 11:11 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I'm not associated with them in any way, but where are the folks from PETA when these horses are basically run to death? You would think that is something they'd be all over.

These horses live to run. That is just what they do. This was a tragic thing that happened but it is rare. All sports have injuries and unfortunately even deaths.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
These horses live to run. That is just what they do. This was a tragic thing that happened but it is rare. All sports have injuries and unfortunately even deaths.
Even bowling???

Old 05-04-2008, 11:39 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post

The horses are not "basically run to death". That is an ignorant statement, but you knew that, right? I guess you didn't see the other horses actually survived this race??!!! OMG, we'll get them soon enough or we'll send them to the glue factory! .

The horses are bred for the sport of running and any sport and all athletes encounter injuries. It is very sad to see any animal put down, so give us a break.

Obviously your mindset is made up, so I am not trying to convince you of anything, but the sport of horse racing has been around for centuries in various cultures.

What you see on Kentucky Derby is just one race with an unfortunate accident. And all the owners, trainers and spectators feel horrible when it happens. Of course, not as bad as PETA, I am sure.

Your statement "A horse being whipped until its ankles give out and crumble..." is equally false. Geez, you really are scraping the lowest feasible perception on this, aren't you?

You got us there, buddy. Why just that morning, the jockey jumped up and said YESSS, this is the day I whip a horse until its ankles give out and crumble..." while eating his cheerios.
Darn, we've been getting by with it all these years, and now you finally caught us in the act.

Don't forget those poor fish who are traumatized by the process of fishing and those poor cows who falsely led into being fed grass until they find their way onto your dinner plate.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:56 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
If I were involved in horse racing something like this would cause me to get out of it.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:06 PM

Maybe Eight Belles was given "something" before the race to enhance performance??? And before you call me dumb, it has happened in horse racing MANY, MANY times.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:12 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Maybe Eight Belles was given "something" before the race to enhance performance??? And before you call me dumb, it has happened in horse racing MANY, MANY times.
Dad, The horses are all checked for substances. Eight Belles was a very large filly that I believe they'll say just didn't have the ankles to support her size with racing. It's a tragic accident and I too feel for the people directly involved with the horse. It's a sad loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky