Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,557 times

Advertisements

My parents, and two younger sisters relocated from Northern Cal to Hopkinsville, and she hasn't been able to find any social groups out there. Does anyone have any suggestions? She's not desperate, but she doenst really do the internet thing. she's in her early fifties, she is a stay at home mom, and she just needs to finds some social groups that can occupy her time I think she's lonely . well thanks for reading, any suggestions would help!!

MAL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 11:12 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,027 times
I used to live there. She can try going to Clarksville or Oak Grove if she can't find anything in Hoptown. Her best bet is seeing if she can volunteer at Fort Campbell. That's my recommendation.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,557 times
Default ok

thanks! Ill let her know, and maybe look up some volunteer opportunities in the area!!

Old 05-07-2008, 03:40 PM

104 posts, read 417,263 times
Would she be interested in church? She would be welcomed with open arms at First Baptist. If the answer is yes, if you want to email me her name etc.. I will have her contacted ASAP. We have people whose whole mission in life is to contact people and invite them in to our church family. Also,the YMCA is hugely popular in Hopkinsville. Maybe she should look into joining. Seriously, this is not a problem, just let me know what her interests are and I will point you in the right direction. Hopkinsville is a military town and there are many resources in place for new arrivals to get involved in the community.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:17 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
I love it!!! You can't have one single Hopkinsville topic without mentioning Clarksville. Everyone that is interested in moving to or visiting Hopkinsville should just go straight to Clarksville and skip the middle-man.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:47 PM

15 posts, read 58,385 times
Default Hopkinsville Newcomers Club

I'd have her contact the Chamber of Commerce and ask for a relocation packet and to include organizations that utilize volunteers or provide social interaction, like the Hopkinsville Newcomers Club, Kiwanis, Rotary, etc...

Hopkinsville has many active volunteer groups so I'm sure it's simply a matter of making personal connections so she is aware of the opportunities!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 66,665 times
If her children are school age she may want to try the local schools and even if the are not. Also, maybe Pennyrile Mental Health has alot and if she goes to the Brickyard Plaza to the food stamp office or even maybe the Sancutary shelter for woman and chilren.....just a few suggestions and there are clubs there too....little holes in the wall if she is into that.....I just moved back to PA from there.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:30 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Keep an eye on the local newspaper about club meetings. Might find something there.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:05 PM

Question:

Is Ferrel's Burgers still open in Hoptown?

If so, go have a few burgers. They are hands-down the best in the nation!

Old 05-08-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I love it!!! You can't have one single Hopkinsville topic without mentioning Clarksville. Everyone that is interested in moving to or visiting Hopkinsville should just go straight to Clarksville and skip the middle-man.
Considering I was the only one in this thread to mention Clarksville then I suppose I am the "offender" of unknown reasons. I mentioned more than Clarksville for a reason. Hopkinsville is not the "be all" and "end all" of what people look for in a city. Nor is Clarksville, or Oak Grove.

You take it too seriously. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky