U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2021, 08:52 PM
 
Location: North Alabama
1,233 posts, read 2,161,115 times
Reputation: 1428

Advertisements

Years ago, I used to be able to find fried cornbread at a cafe located near the Forks of Elkhorn on Highway 460 going out of Frankfort. They went out of business and I don’t know anywhere else to get my fix of this treat, which I believe is unique to Kentucky. Can anybody help me out?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2021, 09:47 AM
 
7 posts, read 27,941 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
Years ago, I used to be able to find fried cornbread at a cafe located near the Forks of Elkhorn on Highway 460 going out of Frankfort. They went out of business and I don’t know anywhere else to get my fix of this treat, which I believe is unique to Kentucky. Can anybody help me out?





Check this for the same request:


https://www.city-data.com/forum/reci...cornbread.html


Sounds interesting............let us know if you find it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2021, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
9,440 posts, read 5,220,114 times
Reputation: 17243
I grew up with it.

Not for sure about restaurants, but it is really easy to make.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2021, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
9,440 posts, read 5,220,114 times
Reputation: 17243
http://whistlestopky.com/pdf/Whistle...ensed-menu.pdf
(check under side dishes)






You might also want to check out Claudia Saunders Dinner House, Mammie's in Bardstown, Merrick Inn in Lexington, The Old Stone Inn or others.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2021, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
57,111 posts, read 45,570,074 times
Reputation: 81408
I hate to break it to you but it's not unique to Kentucky. My grandmother and her parents and grandparents before her, all of whom were from Arkansas (along with other Arkansas family members whose ancestors had been in Arkansas for many generations) made it and enjoyed it. Like others have said, it's easy to make. I just don't want to make it - LOL.

But it IS good.

My dad used to crumble his up in a glass of cold milk.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2021, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
57,111 posts, read 45,570,074 times
Reputation: 81408
This looks like a decent recipe, except my grandmother didn't add sugar.https://iheartrecipes.com/hot-water-cornbread
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2021, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Eastern Tennessee
3,446 posts, read 2,709,038 times
Reputation: 9459
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I hate to break it to you but it's not unique to Kentucky. My grandmother and her parents and grandparents before her, all of whom were from Arkansas (along with other Arkansas family members whose ancestors had been in Arkansas for many generations) made it and enjoyed it. Like others have said, it's easy to make. I just don't want to make it - LOL.

But it IS good.

My dad used to crumble his up in a glass of cold milk.
Buttermilk at our house. I remember it being pretty darned tasty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2021, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Eastern Tennessee
3,446 posts, read 2,709,038 times
Reputation: 9459
recipe:


Southern Fried Cornbread (also known as hoecakes).

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
2/3 cups buttermilk (room temp)
1 egg (room temp)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions
Mix meal, milk, egg and salt together. Drop by spoonful into hot oil. Brown on one side then turn and fry until golden brown on both sides.



When we were kids we'd have these with brown beans and Collard greens. Thanks to OP for reminding me about these.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2021, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
9,440 posts, read 5,220,114 times
Reputation: 17243
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I hate to break it to you but it's not unique to Kentucky. My grandmother and her parents and grandparents before her, all of whom were from Arkansas (along with other Arkansas family members whose ancestors had been in Arkansas for many generations) made it and enjoyed it. Like others have said, it's easy to make. I just don't want to make it - LOL.

But it IS good.

My dad used to crumble his up in a glass of cold milk.
I was thinking that. That it was a Southern or just Country thing and probably done in lots of places.
I make it every now and then, but I usually bake it, but every now and then I will fry some up.
I prefer the kind that isn't sweet though.
My Momma use to do that...corn bread crumbled in a glass of milk.
I tried it a few times too. Pretty good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
recipe:


Southern Fried Cornbread (also known as hoecakes).

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
2/3 cups buttermilk (room temp)
1 egg (room temp)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions
Mix meal, milk, egg and salt together. Drop by spoonful into hot oil. Brown on one side then turn and fry until golden brown on both sides.

When we were kids we'd have these with brown beans and Collard greens. Thanks to OP for reminding me about these.
Oh yeah, with corn bread, it reaches its perfection when served with greens or beans!
I am running from this thread - you all are making me hungry!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2021, 03:00 PM
 
Location: North Alabama
1,233 posts, read 2,161,115 times
Reputation: 1428
Thank you all so much. I’ll enjoy researching all the recipes and tips on my home stove.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top