Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2021, 05:40 AM

17 posts, read 40,147 times

Advertisements

Hello! Looking at moving from the Chicago suburbs to a place that is less expensive, a little quieter, a little warmer year around (snow hit nearly 4' in some places this winter) and a little more pleasant as I am entering the last 20 years or so of my career, the kids are moving out and the in-laws moving in

I like the form the moderator posted!

What region or city, if known, are you considering? - LBL is intriguing. Especially Grand Rivers, but open to the area
Have you been here yet? - driven through once a few years ago. Will be visiting at the beginning of April to have more of a look around. Suggestions would be appreciated
When are you moving? - Hopefully Summer of 2022. Would give us time to build if we decide that's the way to go

Where will you be working (location, not specific company)? - I work out of my house. My wife does retail

Will you buy or rent? Buy

If buying, are you looking for a house, a condo, or a farm? House or empty lot to build

How much can you spend? around $350k
Are you looking for acreage? - not really, but not opposed
How much? maybe 2 if we decided we wanted some land
Are you married or single? - married
Do you have children? - yes but they are in college, so school not a concern
Do you have pets? - yes , dog and cat
Do you want or need a yard?- a yard would be nice
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? - a little bustle is OK
What do you want to be closest to? Medical care for in-laws, shopping, some nightlife/ Father in law loves to fish and boat, so near/on lake or a marina would be wonderful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 10:43 AM

21 posts, read 33,810 times
look into columbia .

and the surrounding areas.

good luck in your search

Old 03-23-2021, 12:50 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Too bad you weren't looking a few months ago. My step daughter and son in law sold a 3 br 2 bath house with full basement, a large garage he could work on 2 or 3 Jeeps at the same time, on 14 acres for $175K.. This was south of Cadiz, Ky., and about 15 miles from the Land Between the Lakes.
Anywhere around Cadiz, Princeton, Eddyville, Murray and Benton, Ky. will put you close to Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley and the LBL. If you're wanting a place on the water, check Cadiz, Eddyville, Kuttawa, Grand Rivers, Calvert City, Benton and Murray. For inlaws' medical care, there are very good hospitals in Hopkinsville, Murray, Paducah and Mayfield. I wouldn't hesitate to go to any of them if needed. We've actually been patients in Jenny Stuart Hospital in Hopkinsville, both hospitals in Paducah, and Jackson Purchase Hospital in Mayfield. For nightlife there's Paducah, Murray, southern Christian County (Hopkinsville), which is close to Ft. Campbell Army Base. Clarksville was a favorite of my step daughter. Plus Nashville is a little over an hour down I-24.
As far as the weather, you'd better be ready for very humid summers. This area has been known to hit 100-110 heat index.
If you come to check out the area and want to drive through the LBL, better set aside a day to see it all, starting south of Grand Rivers and ending in Tennessee. There's a lot of history in those 170,000 acres.
You said school isn't a concern, but Murray is the home of Murray State University. Once this pandemic settles down some, MSU has had several good concerts, plus great football and basketball teams.
For your father in law to go fishing, Kentucky Lake is the largest man made lake east of the Mississippi River. Lots of good fishing in Kentucky and Barkley Lakes. I love fishing, but, being a bank fisherman, don't always catch much. But it doesn't stop me from going! I live in Mayfield, about 25 miles west of the lake.
Hope you have a chance to check out the area. There's plenty to see and plenty of friendly people.

https://www.explorekentuckylake.com/
https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/

Old 03-25-2021, 04:41 PM

Thanks for responding! I was wondering if I posted this question in the right thread. We will be looking around Wednesday afternoon and Thursday of next week. Looking forward to it!

I was surprised to see so few reference to Grand Rivers in these threads - given the location it looks like a prime spot. Is there some negative about the town that those of you who live in the area would know that a far-flung google map looker can't see?

Old 03-25-2021, 04:42 PM

Oh, and Mr Kygman - that does sound like a sweet deal! Sorry I missed it

Old 03-25-2021, 06:14 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Last summer while I was fishing Ky. Lake from the park in Grand Rivers, some couples walked by and one of the ladies said Grand Rivers can't be much of a town. "It doesn't even have a Dollar General!" The closest is in Lake City up on US 62, about 3 or 4 miles. lol I couldn't tell you much about houses or anything around there. A lot of them are rentals during the summer. The main "attraction" in town is Patti's Restaurant, home of the 2" thick pork chop, among other goodies. I've only eaten there twice. Restaurants that cost $65-70 for two of us to eat and the type my wife and I don't go to. But the place is packed every night it's open. They have a grocery store and a few antique shops and a couple other restaurants. This town is crowded all summer long. Back 30-40 years ago, some people were talking about turning it into the "Gatlinburg of Kentucky Lake". If you've ever been to the Smoky Mountains in east Tennessee you'd know about Gatlinburg. But that didn't pan out.

Old 05-22-2021, 02:10 PM

124 posts, read 108,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Last summer while I was fishing Ky. Lake from the park in Grand Rivers, some couples walked by and one of the ladies said Grand Rivers can't be much of a town. "It doesn't even have a Dollar General!" The closest is in Lake City up on US 62, about 3 or 4 miles. lol I couldn't tell you much about houses or anything around there. A lot of them are rentals during the summer. The main "attraction" in town is Patti's Restaurant, home of the 2" thick pork chop, among other goodies. I've only eaten there twice. Restaurants that cost $65-70 for two of us to eat and the type my wife and I don't go to. But the place is packed every night it's open. They have a grocery store and a few antique shops and a couple other restaurants. This town is crowded all summer long. Back 30-40 years ago, some people were talking about turning it into the "Gatlinburg of Kentucky Lake". If you've ever been to the Smoky Mountains in east Tennessee you'd know about Gatlinburg. But that didn't pan out.
Thank God it didn't! Gatlinburg is nothing more than a town full of tee-shirt shops, pancake houses and an outlet mall...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky