U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2021, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Dalton, GA
12 posts, read 1,068 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to Kentucky because there's too many tourists here in Northern Georgia and I generally have a good time when I'm in Kentucky. Which city should I move to?

-I vote republican
-I don't like traffic
-I'd like to be around nice scenery
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2021, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
7,556 posts, read 10,845,557 times
Reputation: 6615
Based on that criteria, I'd suggest the Lexington or Frankfort area. That area of Kentucky is the only one I would ever consider in Kentucky.

Some of the area has gorgeous rolling countryside, winding roads and beautiful horse farms for miles.

Minimal traffic in either area, compared to Louisville especially, or Covington since it gets the Cincinnati traffic.

I wouldn't consider Louisville or Covington at all, but that's me personally.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2021, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Dalton, GA
12 posts, read 1,068 times
Reputation: 10
Well I have also come across Williamstown (a small town between Lexington and Cinci). Is it a nice town?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2021, 07:38 AM
Status: "Clothes make the man ... poorer, that is." (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna. (birthplace)
14,843 posts, read 9,079,468 times
Reputation: 18975
There are a lot of nice areas, but if you're young (or just young-at-heart with an active mind) I'd suggest Lexington - home of the University of Kentucky. Newport and Covington used to have a gritty reputation (where Cincinnati and Dayton went to "sin") but this may have been cleaned up by now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2021, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Alabama
3,770 posts, read 3,427,127 times
Reputation: 3144
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWilson View Post
Well I have also come across Williamstown (a small town between Lexington and Cinci). Is it a nice town?
It's not much of a "town" at all. It's an interstate stop with several tourist attractions. If you're trying to get away from a touristy area, Williamstown is not the answer.

You first said you were considering Louisville or Cincinnati (Covington). The difference between Louisville or Cincinnati and a place like Williamstown is quite extreme.

Do you want to live in a big city, a suburb, a small town, a rural area? What's your work situation?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2021, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Dalton, GA
12 posts, read 1,068 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It's not much of a "town" at all. It's an interstate stop with several tourist attractions. If you're trying to get away from a touristy area, Williamstown is not the answer.

You first said you were considering Louisville or Cincinnati (Covington). The difference between Louisville or Cincinnati and a place like Williamstown is quite extreme.

Do you want to live in a big city, a suburb, a small town, a rural area? What's your work situation?
What I really want is to live in a rural town less than an hour away from a city (a best of both worlds if you may). I just asked about the cities themselves so I actually get answers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2021, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Alabama
3,770 posts, read 3,427,127 times
Reputation: 3144
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWilson View Post
What I really want is to live in a rural town less than an hour away from a city (a best of both worlds if you may). I just asked about the cities themselves so I actually get answers.
A non-touristy town within an hour of either Louisville or Cincinnati. Now that should help to narrow it down

Have you thought of posting in the Kentucky forum?

Bardstown is a very cool place, but it might be too touristy for your liking as it's home to lots of distilleries and historical sites.

Shelbyville is pretty nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2021, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Dalton, GA
12 posts, read 1,068 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
A non-touristy town within an hour of either Louisville or Cincinnati. Now that should help to narrow it down

Have you thought of posting in the Kentucky forum?

Bardstown is a very cool place, but it might be too touristy for your liking as it's home to lots of distilleries and historical sites.

Shelbyville is pretty nice.
What about Taylorsville?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2021, 09:25 AM
 
14,468 posts, read 7,362,035 times
Reputation: 28676
I found my spot in Maysville, an hour from both Cincinnati and Lexington. Beautiful rural area with Maysville being a small town of about 8,800 people on the Ohio River. The area is very historic and scenic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2021, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Dalton, GA
12 posts, read 1,068 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I found my spot in Maysville, an hour from both Cincinnati and Lexington. Beautiful rural area with Maysville being a small town of about 8,800 people on the Ohio River. The area is very historic and scenic.
Looks nice but there doesn't seem to be any lakes nearby. Is Flemingsburg nice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top