U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2021, 08:28 AM

17 posts, read 12,426 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to Kentucky and I need help knowing which towns to look at.

I'm considering somewhere in the bluegrass region or in the mountains (an hour or less from one of the 3 cities).

I have traveled through Kentucky multiple times and I really like the state.

I'll be moving after I graduate (a few years from now probably)

I'm moving from Northern Georgia because there's too many tourists and I'm generally not a fan of the state.

I'll probably work at home or in one of the cities.

I'm looking to buy some cheap but nice land with acre or so on it ($50K or less).

I'm single and don't plan to mingle.

I don't have any pets but I do wanna get a dog eventually.

I need to at least be close to a Walmart.

I plan on going into the IT industry.

Last but not least I need to be close to a big lake.

Last edited by DaWilson; 05-27-2021 at 08:45 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 06:52 PM

974 posts, read 1,517,038 times
Somerset...

Old 05-27-2021, 09:59 PM

192 posts, read 78,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Somerset...

That's well over an hour from either Louisville or Lexington. I'm assuming the "three cities" the OP is talking about, are Louisville, Lexington, and Cincinnati. The midpoint of those three cities is Owenton, a place I know very little about, and it doesn't have the "big lake" the OP is looking for.

Just off the top of my head, I'd have to go with one of the small towns that ring Lexington (Georgetown, Paris, Winchester, Richmond, Nicholasville, Versailles, or possibly Frankfort or Danville). Each of these towns has its points, and of any of them, there are far, far worse places to live in the world.

As an aside, when I traveled from Brussels to Paris on the Thalys (the same train as in the film The 15:17 to Paris), I couldn't help but be struck by how the lay of the land about an hour north of Paris reminded me of the area of I-64 between Mount Sterling and Lexington. It's gently rolling land that flattens out as you approach Paris, similar to driving west on I-64 from Mount Sterling.

Old 07-17-2021, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 527 times
We moved from New York State (Rochester) to Monticello, closer to Somerset, and we really like it here. But, the area doesn't have the wide selection of stores we were accustomed to, so, it's either shop on-line, or drive to Lexington. One store we do miss is Home Depot. Lowes is a terrible store to shop at.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:42 PM

105 posts, read 20,448 times
Lakes that would be a manageable drive from an area (2 hours or less) that the OP would want would be the following:

- Rough River Lake
- Nolin River Lake
- Green River Lake (on the edge)
- Cave Run Lake (on the edge)

I am thinking the following areas would work best and are within 1 hr of either Louisville or Lexington:

- Elizabethtown area
- Clark County or Mt. Sterling

The Elizabethtown area would put the OP about 45 minutes from Downtown Louisville and about an hour and a half from Lexington and within an easy weekend trip to Rough River and Nolin River Lake (probably around a 1hr drive). Green River Lake is probably just a hair above 1 hour from Elizabethtown. Lake Cumberland will be around a 2 hour drive one way. That area has enough shopping and stores for the OP and what is not there can be found in Louisville.

The Clark County area is close enough to Lexington but no more than 40 minutes from Red River Gorge and within 2 hours from both Lake Cumberland and Cave Run Lake. Mt. Sterling has a Wal-Mart, a Lowes, and is even closer to the lake but you are starting to pull away from Lexington's sphere of influence at that point.

Old Today, 08:07 AM

3 posts
I agree Somerset..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky