Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 07:31 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Don't know which direction you're coming from but there's a lot to see along I-65 from Bowling Green to Louisville. Besides the Corvette Museum and other spots Transplant mentioned, as you work your way north, there's Abraham Lincoln's Birthplace and Boyhood Home, Bardstown, home of My Old Kentucky Home and the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. And don't forget to stop at Talbot Tavern! On the highway between I-65 and Bardstown (on Ky. 245) is the Jim Beam distillery and the Bernheim Forest Arboretum. Enjoy your visit!

https://bourbonmanor.com/blog/2019/1...ail-bardstown/
https://bernheim.org/plan-your-visit/must-sees/
https://www.jimbeam.com/en/visit-us/
https://visitbardstown.com/things-to-do/
Good stuff here

I second Bardstown - it's definitely worth a detour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 10:22 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Welcome to Kentucky!
I hope you enjoy your trip here.

Old 10-14-2021, 01:12 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Kentucky is a “you do you” place and as long as you don’t insist on involving them in your private business at worst they’ll be polite to your face then when they get home tell their spouse or mama about the gay fellows they saw at the diner and suggest they add them to the prayer list. Kentuckians are generally helpful, friendly people who think others are entitled to live their lives as they see fit, just like they are. As long as you aren’t rude or so over the top that you appear to be trying to make a point, you’ll be just fine.

That said, you’d probably like staying in Bowling Green. There is a lot to do in easy driving distance, in addition to quick access to Mammoth Cave, plus it has a huge selection of restaurants.
This is the most accurate answer. Kentucky, despite its red state leanings has very much been by and large a state that takes the mindset of "live and let live". I worked for an Ag lender when I last lived in the state, and I talked to a farmer in Central KY who mentioned that he loved the show Modern Family. He said he disagreed with the gay character but thought he was hilarious at the same time. I think this is a microcosm of Kentuckian sentiment. They may not agree with something, but they accept it because they generally don't like causing trouble.

As long as you are not intentionally drawing attention to your gayness with something way over the top that would cause any normal person to be uncomfortable, then you should be in fine shape to make the visit. Keep in mind Bowling Green is also a college town, and college towns are generally more liberal in nature with very limited exception. BG is no different. I really enjoyed visiting BG as a native Louisvillian who isn't super conservative.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:21 PM

342 posts, read 319,131 times
I have friends who are gay who live near Bowling Green and Mammoth Cave and they have never had any problems whatsoever. As others have said, Kentucky is a beautiful, friendly place. It's not liberal, like California where I lived for 10 years, but no one will attack or say anything to a gay couple. I could see that some people might be offended if a gay couple was making out in public, but they'd also be nearly as offended if a straight couple was making out in public. Personally, I don't care what anyone does and I support the right to love whomever you choose. I do like wearing my Pride watchband around Kentucky. I get a lot of comments, "Hey, I like your watchband" from people who are liberal and/or appreciative to know that someone isn't crazy conservative even tho the state is mostly red. You'll be fine. Come and enjoy yourselves!!!!

Old 06-05-2022, 06:10 PM

10 posts, read 14,205 times
Hi again. We got back from our trip to Kentucky last weekend. I thought I would report that we had a great time! As others predicted, we did not run into any issues as a gay couple. It was really no different for us than being in Massachusetts, except that people were friendlier. We both really enjoyed Mammoth Cave and the excellent restaurants of Bowling Green and Owensboro, as well as the gorgeous Kentucky countryside. We are very happy that we went and are sharing that in our circle of friends, both gay and straight.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:37 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,097,050 times
So glad you had a nice trip! You seem like really nice people.

Old 06-05-2022, 07:06 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
Come back again sometime. There's a lot to see in the Commonwealth. Glad you had a good trip.

Old 06-06-2022, 02:11 AM

17,339 posts, read 11,266,024 times
I'm so glad you had a great time and found KY to be a beautiful and friendly place to visit. Thank you for coming back here and posting about it. Hopefully you'll visit again and see other parts of the state.

Old 06-06-2022, 12:05 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markostoughton View Post
Hi again. We got back from our trip to Kentucky last weekend. I thought I would report that we had a great time! As others predicted, we did not run into any issues as a gay couple. It was really no different for us than being in Massachusetts, except that people were friendlier. We both really enjoyed Mammoth Cave and the excellent restaurants of Bowling Green and Owensboro, as well as the gorgeous Kentucky countryside. We are very happy that we went and are sharing that in our circle of friends, both gay and straight.
So glad you had a good time in our lovely state. Thanks for sharing your experience. We have lots of other gorgeous parts, both big and small, full of friendly people.

We’ve lived a lot of places and there is no place that was anywhere as near as welcoming and friendly. I love my state, it’s one of America’s best kept secrets.

Old 06-06-2022, 02:23 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markostoughton View Post
Glad you had a great trip.

Living in KS I've seen this question there before as well as having a gay friend from the coast stay over once while passing thru town express *concern*.

Glad you got a chance to have some stereotypes burst. Frankly, I think your odds of *trouble* are greater in some of the urban parts of the US. Google "attack on gay couple" and it will spell it out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky