Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 07:20 AM

10 posts, read 14,206 times

Advertisements

Hi. My partner and I are a middle-aged gay couple. We would really like to tour Mammoth Caves National Park on vacation but are frankly afraid that we might run into hostility or even violence as a gay couple. Should we be concerned? For what it's worth, we are from Massachusetts, and it will be obvious as soon as we open our mouths that we are not from Kentucky. (We will be driving, so our license plate will also give away our origins.) We were thinking that it might be safer for us to stay in Bowling Green than in the rural area near the park. We were hoping that since it is a city, it might be less conservative, and we would be less likely to face hostility at restaurants and such. We do not do public displays of affection, except that we tend to call each other "Sweetie". We will probably try to suppress that while in Kentucky, but it might slip out. Even so, it's kind of obvious we're a gay couple. We've been together for 15 years, and we act like any married couple who've been together a long time. Would it be unwise to plan a vacation to this destination, or do folks think we'll be okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2021, 01:53 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Safe? Hostility? Violence?

Why would anyone even know or care if you're "gay"? Do you like to draw attention to yourselves and make your sexual proclivities publicly known?

Old 10-12-2021, 02:59 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Good grief. Come to Kentucky and enjoy yourselves.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:56 PM

811 posts, read 887,893 times
You all will be fine. Kentucky is more liberal than people think. In fact, I would be more worried in Ohio. I find folks in KY to be more of the "live and let live" mentality.

Kentucky is a beautiful state with friendly people.

Bowling Green is nice city to stay in and about 30-40 minutes to Mammoth Cave NP. Lot's of places to stay and eat, and some other cool attractions like the National Corvette Museum, Lost River Cave and Western Kentucky University.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:36 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Kentucky is a “you do you” place and as long as you don’t insist on involving them in your private business at worst they’ll be polite to your face then when they get home tell their spouse or mama about the gay fellows they saw at the diner and suggest they add them to the prayer list. Kentuckians are generally helpful, friendly people who think others are entitled to live their lives as they see fit, just like they are. As long as you aren’t rude or so over the top that you appear to be trying to make a point, you’ll be just fine.

That said, you’d probably like staying in Bowling Green. There is a lot to do in easy driving distance, in addition to quick access to Mammoth Cave, plus it has a huge selection of restaurants.

Old 10-13-2021, 04:46 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
It's too bad so many negative stereotypes of KY still persist. I live in a smallish town of less than 9000. The people next door to me happen to be a married gay couple. They are treated no differently than anyone else and they have many friends here. The only comments I ever heard from others are comments about how nice they are. Just be polite and people will treat you the same.

Last edited by marino760; 10-13-2021 at 04:58 AM..

Old 10-13-2021, 01:42 PM

10 posts, read 14,206 times
Thanks to all the Kentuckians for the words of reassurance. I'm old enough to remember when it wasn't totally safe for a gay couple to be seen in public in Boston. As you say, negative stereotypes of Kentucky persist here, partly because few Northeasterners go there. But we are adventurous, have traveled elsewhere in the South, and don't draw attention to ourselves. It sounds like we'll be fine. Thanks again.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:09 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Don't know which direction you're coming from but there's a lot to see along I-65 from Bowling Green to Louisville. Besides the Corvette Museum and other spots Transplant mentioned, as you work your way north, there's Abraham Lincoln's Birthplace and Boyhood Home, Bardstown, home of My Old Kentucky Home and the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. And don't forget to stop at Talbot Tavern! On the highway between I-65 and Bardstown (on Ky. 245) is the Jim Beam distillery and the Bernheim Forest Arboretum. Enjoy your visit!

https://bourbonmanor.com/blog/2019/1...ail-bardstown/
https://bernheim.org/plan-your-visit/must-sees/
https://www.jimbeam.com/en/visit-us/
https://visitbardstown.com/things-to-do/

Old 10-13-2021, 05:33 PM

3,039 posts, read 3,308,574 times
Bet if you stay at the Holiday Inn Quality Inn any name brand chain Inn just off the interstate you would be little different than any other tourist. Not sure how busy Mammoth Cave is under Covid restrictions. From this time of year plenty of snowbirds heading South to evade a cold winter.

If you take normal precautions & have a mask would be safe.

Old 10-14-2021, 01:35 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markostoughton View Post
Thanks to all the Kentuckians for the words of reassurance. I'm old enough to remember when it wasn't totally safe for a gay couple to be seen in public in Boston. As you say, negative stereotypes of Kentucky persist here, partly because few Northeasterners go there. But we are adventurous, have traveled elsewhere in the South, and don't draw attention to ourselves. It sounds like we'll be fine. Thanks again.
Have a fun trip to KY and if you enjoy yourselves and find it a beautiful place to visit, I hope you'll spread the word to your friends and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky