Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 09:25 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,874,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
^^^

Another potential Colorado refugee here. Sounds like you are putting some energy and plenty of thought into your upcoming move to Kentucky. I hope it works out well for you and best of luck!

I have been contemplating moving back to the town where my branch of the family has roots - Richmond. I do worry if I can adapt to the humidity after such a long time in Colorado, so I'm going to have to come out in the summer myself and see if I think I can acclimate.

I am so fed up with on-going, terrible drought and summers filled with wildfires here in Colorado. Going back to Kentucky to live out my final years is sounding better and better!
I live in Western NY. I went through KY in early August on my way home from further south.

I've spent my vacations for the past 4 years visiting places like Georgia, south Carolina, Tennessee, north Carolina, Kentucky etc during the summer.

The one thing I've learned? Yes it's hot. That's obvious. But I've learned that it's more tolerable than I realized. Back home in western NY we've had more 85-90 degree summer days than ever and the culture of air conditioning isn't a thing here. A minority of houses have central AC, most just have window units in their bedroom. I also live about 3 miles from lake Erie so we get surprisingly more humidity than you might expect for being north.

So when I travel south I admit that it's 5-10 degrees hotter but to me in my opinion it's more tolerable because everything is AC and people are more willing to take their time not rush, adapt to the heat etc. You do yard work in the morning or evening etc. You figure it out. And the benefits far outweigh a slightly hotter summer. You guys actually get a real spring and longer more mild fall and less severe winter.

You guys have a good thing going on appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2022, 09:32 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,756,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
A friend of mine use to live there and really loved it.

Shelbyville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puy5hgZPuks

So many cute small towns that are safe or at relatively so.

Versailles

Midway

Bardstown

Paris

Owensboro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olG9RZVKQG0

op would love la grange! It has beem featured on small town makeover and hgtv! It’s in the wealthiest most educated county in the state. It has the most transplants but feels rural…yet 20 min to Target and Costco and a nice walmart in town, plus tons of cute shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky