Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 03:21 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I was quite clear in my prose. Diversity is not always a good thing! I speak especially in a political sense, not a faith-based attitude; however, I have never seen a successful society that embraced all diversity. Typically, politically correct diversity is a lame excuse for undisciplined people to do whatever they feel without regard to others or even the well being of society.
The Romans were very diverse and lasted for hundreds of years. Various types of Italians---Latins, Sabines, Samnites, Greeks, Etruscans---were part of the system as were Celts, Illyrians, Dalmatians, Greeks, Syrians, Africans, Spaniards; you get the picture. One of the things (among many) that brought Rome down was their failure to treat fairly the later German immigrants, thus Adrianople.

Your statement that diversity is a crutch for undisiplined people is an unwarranted assertion, in truth I think the more disiplined, educated or accomplished someone is the more tolerant they tend to be.

So what forms of diversity do you disapprove of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 04:00 PM

269 posts, read 811,736 times
Quote:
I was quite clear in my prose. Diversity is not always a good thing! I speak especially in a political sense, not a faith-based attitude; however, I have never seen a successful society that embraced all diversity. Typically, politically correct diversity is a lame excuse for undisciplined people to do whatever they feel without regard to others or even the well being of society.
You're not talking about racial or sexual diversity are you? As I don't have a clue as to how racial diversity is neither a right/wrong or good/bad thing... (Has nothing to do with morality or affecting other people...)

I also don't quite get what part of political diversity you're speaking of... How does a person's choice of diversity affect others? (Are you talking about racial diversity, sexuality, choice in partners, etc...?) Because frankly, neither someones choice in race or sexuality in their partner has to do with others, nor are they acting in "disregard to others"... If a man's attracted to a man, or if a black woman is attracted to a white man, no matter... how is that affecting society?

Matter of fact, caring about what others think about your choice in lifestyle (as long as it's not illegal or harming others) rather than making yourself happy is a total disregard to yourself... That's what's causing many mental issues (depression, suicide...) to so many people in the interracial dating, bi-racial, and homosexual "diverse" groups... So is the choice, please others and be unhappy, or please yourself no matter the opinions of others? I see no problem in a gay black man dating a gay white man... Who are they affecting? The "well being of society"? That's odd, as many years ago people thought burning "witches" at the stake and keeping slaves was helping "the well being of society"... It's a matter of opinion and perspective. And I say if your diversity bothers others inadvertently, then let it. You're not harming anyone but those who choose to let it...

If this isn't what you were talking about... then scratch my post. I just thought it was since this was an interracial question thread...

Old 05-30-2008, 04:35 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The Romans were very diverse and lasted for hundreds of years. Various types of Italians---Latins, Sabines, Samnites, Greeks, Etruscans---were part of the system as were Celts, Illyrians, Dalmatians, Greeks, Syrians, Africans, Spaniards; you get the picture. One of the things (among many) that brought Rome down was their failure to treat fairly the later German immigrants, thus Adrianople.

Your statement that diversity is a crutch for undisciplined people is an unwarranted assertion, in truth I think the more disciplined, educated or accomplished someone is the more tolerant they tend to be.

So what forms of diversity do you disapprove of?
Rome, Athens, Sparta, Alexandria all failed with acceptance of diversity. You may think you are disciplined, but if you are homosexual by choice, then you are very undisciplined. If you are a minority, odds are if you are crying diversity, you are only wanting your political ideologies accepted instead of accepting the status quo, which may or may not be bad for society.

There is no way I can undo all the inappropriate training that you may have received in a forum of this nature.

I don't disapprove of anyone who is by birth minority (a relative term as Caucasian is a less than majority number world-wide), is born with an abnormality such as homosexuality (just look at the body parts to determine normal vs abnormal), nor do I disapprove of any law abiding person who recognizes my rights too.

Its all about political terms for me, not natural consequences.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:52 PM

413 posts, read 782,426 times
Are you mister and miss perfect? No.

I think you will do just fine if you don't start judging a place before even visiting it.

Your head is full of stereotypes, but other members are too nice and politically correct to tell you this because of your race.

I've never heard a normal person asking about "interracial dating scene".

Old 05-30-2008, 05:06 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Rome, Athens, Sparta, Alexandria all failed with acceptance of diversity.
I just explained that the Romans were diverse and lasted for centuries. Sparta never attempted diversity and was fascist state based on the Spartiates holding thier fellow Greek helots in a state of slavery to the state. Thus the need for Spartan militarism; not to fight outside enemies but to hold the helots and dwellers about in subjection.

Had the Spartans tried a little diversity they might have been better off; as a consequence of their rigid system the number of full citizens began to shrink alarmingly and in the end the Spartiates lacked the numbers to prevent their defeat at the hands of the Thebans and the emancipation by the Thebans of the helots. By the time Philip of Macedonia brought Greece under his sway Sparta was already reduced to a backwater of minor signifigance.

The Athenians on the other hand were more diverse and open and this allowed their economy and culture to thrive even when their political fortunes were down. Hellenism was a culture based on the mixing of Greek and Asian peoples and ways; Alexander valued diversity, so do I.

Kind Regards

Old 05-30-2008, 05:36 PM

269 posts, read 811,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
Are you mister and miss perfect? No.

I think you will do just fine if you don't start judging a place before even visiting it.

Your head is full of stereotypes, but other members are too nice and politically correct to tell you this because of your race.

I've never heard a normal person asking about "interracial dating scene".
I don't think she/he is judging. She's acting a perfectly normal question for a person who's never lived in an area where you HEAR negative things about... I've heard white people ask if they'd be safe moving to Los Angeles... What's wrong with someone making sure they and their family are safe prior to moving? Kentucky may not be that bad, but there are some states that are...

And if you don't think it's "normal"... then do a search in the KY forums asking the same thing about racism. There are loads of people that say that there is racism in the Southern parts of KY... If she/he were to move there prior to asking about the safety and comfortability of her family just to save from criticism of people like you, then THAT would be stupid. Family before criticism. I don't care if someone thought my question was stupid, if it's for the safety of myself or family, screw anyone's negative opinions.

By the way, I myself don't live in KY, but love it and am moving there. I have a white friend that admits to lots of racism and negative thoughts of interracial couples in certain parts of it, just not where I'm moving... So I highly doubt it's that "judgmental" of a question... Apparently it does go on, not just there but everywhere. There's just more of it in certain areas.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 11,587 times
Default interracial dating

"
Originally Posted by tomocox
I was quite clear in my prose. Diversity is not always a good thing! I speak especially in a political sense, not a faith-based attitude; however, I have never seen a successful society that embraced all diversity. Typically, politically correct diversity is a lame excuse for undisciplined people to do whatever they feel without regard to others or even the well being of society."

Jordan: Another side of being "politically correct" that whites rarely acknowledge is "white politicians being unable to discuss issues of concern to People of Color (African-/Asian/Latino-/ and "Native"-Americans)...for fear of losing the support of white voters.
So they have to tiptoe around those issues or use codewords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky