Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 07:50 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Majestic is gone??? Shows you how much I get to Mayfield. I loved their food.
No, you came in on the wrong part of the conversation. I was saying it still seems odd when I go back to Mayfield to pull up at the stoplight by Majestic and the Church of Christ isn't there any more. Walgreen's going in there.
You're right...good food there.

We went to Mayfield today and took my parents out to eat for my dad's 86th birthday. Went to Murray and ate at Martha's Home Cooking, north of town. Not bad and good size servings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 11:46 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,424,688 times
I'm sorry I've eaten at the Majestic three time and it was bad each times, not impressed at all. Then again I have yet to see the allure of Hill's BBQ either. I'll take Carr's Barn or Larry, Darrell and Darrell's any day over those two.

As for the coat hanger factory it's going in up on 45 near Hickory I believe, they took a one year lease on a building there with the plan of moving to a larger one the following year.

I've been hearing about Walgreens for 6 years, I'm to the point I'll believe it when I see it. It might be true, but if they built every business I heard about around here this place would be 10 times the size it is.

I've heard about a Lawn and Garden place where Smith's use to be, Applebee's, O'Charles, Quiznos, and a host of others.

What I know for sure is Arby's there building it, but if I had to guess A&W/LJS isn't long for this world, rarely is anyone there and the food is always cold and nasty, like it was cooked yesterday. I drove by today and every one that worked there was setting outside talking.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:53 AM

The LJS there needs to do like the one in Morganfield. When Druther's sold out the one in Morganfield was bought by a Long John Silvers franchise, with a lot of the old Druther's employees. When business wasn't going too good they thought they would try breakfast, putting in the Druther's favorites. That dropped the crown at the Golden Arches real quick!

IN Maydfield, I've never had anything but good food at Majestic. Another good BBQ place is Mid Town, up on Broadway across from the Catholic church. You mentioned where Smith's used to be, I never thought I'd be going to Mayfield sometime and not see a Smith's Grocery! Even with both Smith's, I would still shop at the old one on Farthing.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:58 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,424,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
The LJS there needs to do like the one in Morganfield. When Druther's sold out the one in Morganfield was bought by a Long John Silvers franchise, with a lot of the old Druther's employees. When business wasn't going too good they thought they would try breakfast, putting in the Druther's favorites. That dropped the crown at the Golden Arches real quick!

IN Maydfield, I've never had anything but good food at Majestic. Another good BBQ place is Mid Town, up on Broadway across from the Catholic church. You mentioned where Smith's used to be, I never thought I'd be going to Mayfield sometime and not see a Smith's Grocery! Even with both Smith's, I would still shop at the old one on Farthing.
Mid-Town is good, and the Smith's on Farthing St is now a Food Giant, they have good stuff at a decent price, I don't like the fact they give those on food stamps a 20% discount as I think it just encourages people to get on them and stay on them, but that's another rant.
KBL out in Broadway closed down a few years ago and the Save-a-lot is ok, not that great.

We really need a decent grocery store in this town, something other than Wal-Mart which I will not go it for any reason.

You can have all the Majestic food you want, I won't be having any as I said I've never got good food there. The best I've had there was average at best. I figure it's a local thing that people just enjoy, but I don't get it.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 AM

6 posts, read 15,878 times
kygman-thank you for your response. We had initially looked at the Murray area as a possibility, but felt it was too "collegy". We went through there many times when he worked for Paschall Truck Lines. If the gas prices come down a little, I will try to meet him somewhere near Mayfield so that we can do a little bit more investigation. Do you know of any other areas in that vicinty with a small town atmosphere?

Old 07-21-2008, 07:48 PM

The first weekend in August would be a good (or bad) time to go to Mayfield. The annual Fancy Farm picnic is that Saturday. Probably haven't heard about it in Phoenix, but it's a BIG political church picnic in western Kentucky. Usually the kick off for the fall campaign. Rumor has it that McCain and Obama are checking it out. Obama's people keep asking for more information. They are cooking up 8500 lbs. of BBQ mutton and 10,500 lbs of pork. KyKurmudgeon (http://kykurmudgeon.typepad.com/kykurmudgeon/ - broken link) (scroll down to July 17)
The reason I said a bad time to go is the crowds.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 24,263 times
Mayfield isn't too bad of a town. I lived in Wingo and worked in Mayfield at a flower shop. It does seem like everyone knows everyone. Everyone seems to be related too. But Mayfield was too slow-paced for me and my husband. We were driving to Paducah (for those of you who aren't from here, it's about a 30 minute drive) everyday it seems. But for retirees, it's probably a perfect area. I prefer the outlying areas of Graves County, rather than DIRECTLY in the city. It's nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrampy View Post
kygman-thank you for your response. We had initially looked at the Murray area as a possibility, but felt it was too "collegy". We went through there many times when he worked for Paschall Truck Lines. If the gas prices come down a little, I will try to meet him somewhere near Mayfield so that we can do a little bit more investigation. Do you know of any other areas in that vicinty with a small town atmosphere?
Benton is a good city too. I grew up just outside there. The schools are great too.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:40 PM

21 posts, read 73,159 times
Just moved to Fancy Farm last year from Arizona and we love it. We are both retired and have 2 acres that keeps us busy. The schools are good and the people friendly but not over-friendly. Close to mostly every thing WITHOUT being In town and No traffic jams like in the Phoenix area. As to food, how about Catfish Corner?

As a newby, I can't tell you that I would NEVER move back to Arizona after living here.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:45 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,796,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I love how no one (well almost no one) points out anything negative about a town in this state. However, since this thread is so touchy-feely...
A-freaking-men! Ky., Tennessee, and Arkansas have three of the most "touchy feely" state forums on C-D. I do, at least, find the Ky. forum and its posters to be among the most interesting and, well, prideful of the state, so I keep on coming back. Believe it or not, I don't come on here to stir up trouble. Promise! But I'm just as happy to point out the positives as I am the negatives.

But, anyway, just out of curiosity (to the OP,) what did make you decide on Mayfield, KY? Murray and Paducah are close-by and have more to offer; Murray with the university and well-preserved historic area, and Paducah with its shopping and arts districts. Not downing Mayfield, it's like Any-Small-Town USA, but I'm just curious.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:47 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,796,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
jcm, a national business magazine named Mayfield as one of the top "micropolitan" areas in the country for last year. New business is coming to town and things are picking up.
Mayfield's a micropolitan area? WTF?

I know of the Paducah-Mayfield combined MA, but not Mayfield-Graves County MA by itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky