Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:18 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,009 times

Advertisements

This is a cool website that tracks cougar sightings in the Eastern US in a scientific manner.

The Cougar Network - Using Science to Understand Cougar Ecology

I wouldn't doubt if many of the cougars seen in the Eastern US are "pets" that were let loose or escaped. There are so many big cats that are illegally kept as pets in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 09:19 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,347 times
Our local newspaper carried a story late last year about a bobcat that was shot by some guys who were out hunting somewhere in the county. The story can be found at the following website: The Falmouth Outlook.

Just go to the "Archives" link at the bottom of the home page and then click on the link for "12/04/07." Story with photo is about the third or forth item down.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,540 times
Default Cumberland Ky.

Bears in the park.

YouTube - KINGDOM COME PARK CUMBERLAND KY (BEARS)

Old 06-23-2008, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 61,376 times
Bobcats in Kentucky a[SIZE=2]re extremely rare if not practically extinct. As a former over the road truck driver I have seen dozens of road killed dead wolves and hundreds of foxes but I don’t believe I have ever actually seen a wild bobcat
[/SIZE]

Old 06-23-2008, 10:18 PM

149 posts, read 764,160 times
Hey now, lets encourage them wildcats, cougar, bob-cat and bear! Welcome/invited through Appalachia Elk stocking program 1997/98 fer sure.

Lemme see - right about now we've got Elk herd estimated at 5,000 strong roamin freely throughout Appalachia with 3rd generation calves born coupla months ago drawing cougars and bears into the place too. Why be surprised??

Meanwhile y'all know what we gotta do: welcome the wild and NOT let em git wiped out!! Them wild critters oughta remind us of ourselves, doncha know??

Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 57,729 times
Default Mountain Lion in Lewis County?

Last week while scouting for Deer on the farm in Lewis County, after a hard rain, found fresh Mt. lion tracks in soft mud. Looked as if I pushed it down the hill in the woods. I have seen Bobcats and their tracks are a lot smaller than these prints. I'm going to put out a couple of trail cams to see if it is hanging around or passed through. As we are managing this property for Big Deer, our concern is how many Deer would be taken by a big cat or cats? Very exciting but at the same time uneasy moving around in the woods and hills.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:32 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,924 times
Speaking of deer, I had one in my front yard yesterday. Opened my front door and there it was. Which is rather unusual considering I don't exactly live in the country.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 53,964 times
a black panther and a brown cougar was spotted one month apart at two different locations of about a mile apart from several people in earlington ky last sighting was 12-28-09

Old 01-02-2010, 12:06 AM

6 posts, read 125,877 times
Hi from a new forum member. We are relocating to Ky in the Spring from Oregon. I know all about mountain lions as I have one come through my yard every single day...even scared the blue blazes out of me one evening near my chicken coop. They would make a bobcat run for the hills. Got pictures of the cat hanging in the tree near my coops. This one's paw prints are over 4" wide, it weighs around 110 - 115 lbs. Never bothers us, the dogs or the birds just passes through each morning and night.

It did not like the light in its face

Old 01-02-2010, 12:14 AM

6 posts, read 125,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Here is a Florida Panther, all the years I lived in FL I never did see one of these big cats in the wild. They are a beautiful animal I think.

Florida Panther

Florida Panther
You see them along Alligator Alley near the glades. The DOT built tunnels under the road so they could cross without getting hit. They are very endangered. Beautiful cousins to the mountain lions we have out here. We are over populated with them in this county.

That one I took the picture of above...comes through my garden by the livingroom window every morning when I am drinking my coffee...gorgeous cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky