Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 04:50 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post

If you're from one of the east coast's largest urbanities, Louisville and Lexington will still feel like small towns to you in parts. Those are your two truest bets for any level of remarkable diversity in Kentucky. I must say, though, that I've read a few of your posts on the General U.S. Forum and I'm not sure I'd want you living in the same state with me.
I have read "the genius's"()other posts also..And I wholeheartedly agree with you, Jcm Out of 50 posts in two days (threads he started) 2 have been closed and the most of the rest will probably also be closed...If it looks like a -----, talks like a ----, it probably is a -----

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-24-2008 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 05:10 PM

728 posts, read 1,676,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
I was always interested in visiting Kentucky for most of my life. I loved watching the Kentucky Derby and thought the State was magic because of it. For years I planned a trip there but for some reason it was always delayed. Finally last month I had a chance to see Kentucky from one end to another. What an experience!

Kentucky is a beautiful State but I was shocked how much every town looked exactly the same. We made a special point to drive on only two lane roads and see as many communities as possible. We always tried to find the downtown and eat in local restaurants and talk to local people about their community.

Most people were very nice and happy to talk to us. But what really shocked me was how similar everyone was. I swore I saw and talked to the same person over and over again in the DIFFERENT small towns. Maybe they were clones. They wore the same clothes came from the same ethnic background, talked the same, used the same phrases, and walked the same way.

Has anyone else noticed how similar people are in states like Kentucky especially in the small towns?
Oh boy, here we go again. I guess Kentucky is racist and xenophobic as well? Since when is a lack of diversity a major crime or immoral? Personally I will take small town Kentucky anytime, anyday over a major east city that is diversified.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:04 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,852 times
Quote:
I disagree. Now I have been to most US States and found more similarities of people in KY than anywhere else. Clones?

Then stay out of Ky, problem solved.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:09 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
I was always interested in visiting Kentucky for most of my life. I loved watching the Kentucky Derby and thought the State was magic because of it. For years I planned a trip there but for some reason it was always delayed. Finally last month I had a chance to see Kentucky from one end to another. What an experience!

Kentucky is a beautiful State but I was shocked how much every town looked exactly the same. We made a special point to drive on only two lane roads and see as many communities as possible. We always tried to find the downtown and eat in local restaurants and talk to local people about their community.

Most people were very nice and happy to talk to us. But what really shocked me was how similar everyone was. I swore I saw and talked to the same person over and over again in the DIFFERENT small towns. Maybe they were clones. They wore the same clothes came from the same ethnic background, talked the same, used the same phrases, and walked the same way.

Has anyone else noticed how similar people are in states like Kentucky especially in the small towns?

I could be wrong, but based on your two posts on this thread, I believe your intent here is to flame people. Away from metro areas or college towns, could you please be so kind as to show me small towns in other states that are "diverse?" Census data would be appreciated.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:10 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I have read "the genius's"()other posts also..And I wholeheartedly agree with you, Jcm Out of 50 posts in two days (threads he started) 2 have been closed and the most of the rest will probably also be closed...If it looks like a -----, talks like a ----, it probably is a -----
I am more lenient here...I tend to let these people get exposed and make fools of themselves.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:14 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I am more lenient here...I tend to let these people get exposed and make fools of themselves.
It does provide for some comic relief, does it not?

Old 06-24-2008, 06:26 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,331 times
I think state pride is a great thing, but I have to admit he may have a point. (And I grew up in a small town in Kentucky.)

I really don't think the original poster is a fool or a troll or trying to flame anyone. Here are some quotes from his post:

Quote:
Kentucky is a beautiful State...Most people were very nice and happy to talk to us.
So he has some nice things to say about us. Nor did he limit his visit to one quick trip through one town:

Quote:
We made a special point to drive on only two lane roads and see as many communities as possible. We always tried to find the downtown and eat in local restaurants and talk to local people about their community.
In all honesty, a lot of our small towns do have a similar look and feel, at least on the surface. Granted, if you stayed in them long enough, you'll get to know them better. But on the surface, there is a lot of conformity in this state.

Anyway, just my two cents that total_genius was not trying to provoke or insult, imo.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:26 PM

237 posts, read 849,085 times
Simple fact about someone that posts on an internet site calling themselves any sort of "genius".
They are far from intelligent.

Dig~

Old 06-24-2008, 06:39 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
I think state pride is a great thing, but I have to admit he may have a point. (And I grew up in a small town in Kentucky.)

In all honesty, a lot of our small towns do have a similar look and feel, at least on the surface. Granted, if you stayed in them long enough, you'll get to know them better. But on the surface, there is a lot of conformity in this state.
I don't think total_genius was trying to provoke anybody in a negative manner in this forum. I've followed a few of his/her posts in another forum and they're quite negative. But, you're right, the OP has a point.

I mean, come on, how many carbon copy towns with rednecks (tobacco spittin', beat up pickup drivin', thick twang talkin'), Dollar General stores, and low-paying small factory towns have we? A LOT! Of course, the behaviors and norms of people vary from region to region, but not really from town to town within these regions. Murray is different from Corbin but is similar to Mayfield. Corbin is different from Murray but similar to Barbourville. And on it goes.

I think many Southern and Midwestern states have carbon copy small towns, though, so Kentucky's not the only state with the conformity issue.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i love it. with homogeniality comes a shot at unity and harmony, elements seriously lacking in our world. at my age i have found a little boredom is a good thing.
if the nation is 76% white should i be alarmed by a high level of white citizens in a community? why? ps i am not white.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 06-24-2008 at 07:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky