Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,543 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are considering moving to KY and was wondering if anyone can give me some info? We have been looking at Inez, since we want some land to farm on. Like self sustain farming. We have kids. so any info about where would be a good place to look, and also about if there are taxes and fees to build on land there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 01:59 AM

149 posts, read 764,291 times
Why doncha start by renting month or week's lodging at Inez motel and take it from there? The fact that yer askin about just taxes and fees tells me ye aint done homework on this place at all. Oughta be askin about building codes too, but thats the kinda questions that only be answered from county seat.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 AM

108 posts, read 452,375 times
Is there a reason that you're looking at Inez? Do you have a specific piece of property in mind? I'm asking because that area of Kentucky isn't very flat, so it might be difficult to have a large farm there. If you haven't visited the area, you may want to check out Inez using the "terrain" option on Google maps. Far eastern Kentucky generally ranges from hilly to mountainous, with flatter areas mostly confined to river valleys.

For another option, you might want to look at the Little Sandy River valley near Grayson in Carter County. This is a couple counties northwest of Inez.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:43 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
The Village Idiot hit the nail on the head!

As for the kids situation, you can provide a safe, comfortable lifestyle in EKY. The crime rate is very low. However, where EKY is an economically depressed area you're likely to hear about a lot of drug activity in high schools and in "hollers" (small valley communities.) Plus, with the possible exception of Russell Independent Schools in Greenup County, there really are no good public school systems in EKY.

Might I, however, suggest Greenup. The land there is still very hilly but not as mountainous as Inez/Martin County. Greenup is in Greenup County, three counties north of Martin Co. You could live out in the county along, say KY 8 or Industrial Parkway, and have a small farming operation (EKY is not very conducive to large farming,) but you would have to pay a small tuition fee to send your kids to Russell b/c you'd live outside of its school district. Truthfully, this is what I would recommend.

Of course, if you had to move to Inez, good luck! There's not much there except for a McDonald's (I think); there may not even be a Dollar General there. I've heard the land is almost pristine in certain areas, however.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:05 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times
Inez is in Martin County. That is a very rural area, though I've never been there I'm sure that since the population of the whole county is only 11,600; there's probably very little in terms of jobs/restaurants/entertainment/shopping etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky