Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 03:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,361 times

Advertisements

"We're not ashamed to say that we are from Pikeville, it's just that
we don't want to live there again."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 01:03 PM

11 posts, read 48,154 times
The negativity of this thread is amazing.
I have lived all over the country and have lived in Pikeville for the last 20 years.
Did you know...Pikeville is home to the #1 KY owned bank in the state???
Did You know...Pikeville is home to the #4 ranked school system in the state?
Did you know...Pikeville is home to a new 7500 seat arena which hosts nationally known events?
Did you know...Pikeville is home to a four year college??
Did you know... Pikeville is home to a medical school???
Did you know...Pikeville was voted one of America's 100 best small towns?

These are just a few of the many positives.
Yes, there are negatives...aren't there everywhere???

Old 04-05-2007, 09:10 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,357,471 times
Default Pikeville, KY

I grew up in southwest Virginia not far from Pikeville. I'm convinced that Pikeville is better off than most Cumberland Plateau communities. The town and county are experiencing population growth. Residents no longer have to shop in Kingsport or Huntington. Median home values are much higher than the overall region's. If you think Pikeville is isolated, take a trip to Montana or West Texas. Someone mentioned the 7-story jail. Two bad it isn't 20 stories. Think of how many oxycontin dealers could be locked up. And if you think Pikeville is depressing, you really should see many other towns on the Plateau. During the past 40 years, "tax and spend" politicians have poured billions of dollars into the region and in the process have created three generations of welfare dependency. If only a fraction of that money had been spent on education and small business incentives, Pikeville might now be the norm instead of the exception.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:41 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,418,213 times
Where in the world are these people getting their information about a seven story jail in Pikeville!!!!If they had ever been here and if they can count, they would know that the Hall if Justice is a three story building. Also Billions of dollars have not been poured into the area. Instead our coal severence money has been mostely sent to other parts of Kentucky!!!!We are proud, hard working people here!!There are people on welfare all over this country, some deserving, some not! It hurts to see us portrayed as toothless,dirty, lazy, etc. Television and movies are not portraying us right. You people who have lived here make fun of us when you move away( Is it so you will feel accepted in your new environment?) By the way, I was not born or raised here, I am from a large northern city, but Pikeville is my home and I am proud of it, and love the friendly people who live here....

Old 04-06-2007, 03:44 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,357,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Where in the world are these people getting their information about a seven story jail in Pikeville!!!!If they had ever been here and if they can count, they would know that the Hall if Justice is a three story building. Also Billions of dollars have not been poured into the area. Instead our coal severence money has been mostely sent to other parts of Kentucky!!!!We are proud, hard working people here!!There are people on welfare all over this country, some deserving, some not! It hurts to see us portrayed as toothless,dirty, lazy, etc. Television and movies are not portraying us right. You people who have lived here make fun of us when you move away( Is it so you will feel accepted in your new environment?) By the way, I was not born or raised here, I am from a large northern city, but Pikeville is my home and I am proud of it, and love the friendly people who live here....
Please allow me to clarify my earlier statements. In 1965 the U.S. Congress established the Appalachian Regional Commission. Since then, the program has indeed spent billions of federal dollars in its service area which includes all of West Virginia and parts of 12 other states. I was not implying that all the money was spent in eastern Kentucky.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:51 PM

5 posts, read 17,191 times
I've lived in Kentucky my entire life. I'm nineteen now and although I used to hate this place because of how small and boring it can be...the older I get the more I appreciate growing up in a place like Pikeville. Really the only thing it needs is a mall. And judging by the growth of businesses etc. lately a mall probably isn't far off.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
I've lived in Kentucky my entire life. I'm nineteen now and although I used to hate this place because of how small and boring it can be...the older I get the more I appreciate growing up in a place like Pikeville. Really the only thing it needs is a mall. And judging by the growth of businesses etc. lately a mall probably isn't far off.
Thanks Ender!! We have taken a beatin' in this thread. I am proud of Pikeville, which has a few problems, but hey, what town doesn't! I wanna mall,too!!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:00 AM

246 posts, read 1,053,073 times
Default highliner

to Blue62/Lodger777: My bias comes from 40-plus years of living and working, and watching sadly what has happened to Pike county in general. There were almost 90k people in the county when I was a kid, but now the number has dropped to about 62k. So much for all that growth you were just talking about. Read US Census Quickfacts-you'll see- or Naco.org. I've worked in law enforcement, on and off since 1989, and have agonized over the deplorable narcotics epidemic centered in Pikeville. Please don't bother to attack my posts- it gives me no pleasure to describe the slow death, of a place that I once considered home. If only you had seen Pike county in its heyday years of the late '60's and early '70's, then you would know how much it has fallen away from being a terrific mountain community.

Last edited by highliner; 04-22-2007 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 04-22-2007, 07:11 AM

246 posts, read 1,053,073 times
Default highliner

Funny, I counted seven stories! Did somebody lop off the remaining four? Pikeville, as it is now, stinks so badly, that it even makes Buckner look better by comparison!

Old 04-22-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highliner View Post
to Blue62/Lodger777: My bias comes from 40-plus years of living and working, and watching sadly what has happened to Pike county in general. There were almost 90k people in the county when I was a kid, but now the number has dropped to about 62k. So much for all that growth you were just talking about. Read US Census Quickfacts-you'll see- or Naco.org. I've worked in law enforcement, on and off since 1989, and have agonized over the deplorable narcotics epidemic centered in Pikeville. Please don't bother to attack my posts- it gives me no pleasure to describe the slow death, of a place that I once considered home. If only you had seen Pike county in its heyday years of the late '60's and early '70's, then you would know how much it has fallen away from being a terrific mountain community.
I have been in Pikeville (living here) since 1973, the "heyday" you speak about is nothing compared to the growth going on now. Just curious to know when was the last time you REALLY were in Pikeville or East. Ky. Even though you don't like the area ,the people here will welcome you, be kind and make you feel at home. I have just read all your posts and find you to be quite a remarkable person! Very well traveled and a lot of knowledge about everything, I respect your intelligence .I will not attack any post you make, just read them and either applaud them , shake my head or roll my eyes.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-22-2007 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: add comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky