U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 02:27 PM

295 posts, read 870,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
False !

I do like the South and I do like the idea thar the OP was trying to help poor people.

Too bad this thread got hijacked by the " deniers".
You may like the south but deep down, you think the people that live there are stupid. Look at your post. You went through all the trouble of typing out the meaning of the word "median" for me. You wasted precious time typing out something that didn't need to be explained just so you could look superior.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 04:22 PM

9,807 posts, read 14,201,391 times
-----typing out something that didn't need to be explained----

Seems to me most " deniers" did not know the meaning of the word " median" or they would not have used flippant phrases like--"poverty is everywhere"--and " no worse than anywhere else "

Seems some of the same " deniers" were the ones upset with Diane Sawyer's report. also.

Coincidence?
I don't think so !

Old 11-20-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
-----typing out something that didn't need to be explained----

Seems to me most " deniers" did not know the meaning of the word " median" or they would not have used flippant phrases like--"poverty is everywhere"--and " no worse than anywhere else "

Seems some of the same " deniers" were the ones upset with Diane Sawyer's report. also.

Coincidence?
I don't think so !

Can't you do any better than that? I expected way better from a genius like you.

People got upset with that Diane Sawyer report because she reported on the worse of the area. She didn't bother to go look at all that is right. Oh no, that isn't what makes the ratings, is it? She passed up beautiful homes to go up in some holler to tape some place that was about to fall in on itself. She has the whole country thinking that people down there have no use for formula or milk and instead, feed their babies Mountain Dew from a bottle. Does that kind of thing happen? You bet it does and not just in the hills and hollers of Kentucky.

You know what? I am proud to have as a part of my heritage people who can survive on so little. They choose to tough it out in those hills. And that means no disrespect to the people that left those hills. My Dad left those hills when he couldn't find work. He did what he wanted to while the ones that stayed behind did what they wanted to do. Ain't America great that we have those kinds of freedom?

I am done with this thread, don't bother to reply because I am going to see if I can put you on ignore. Maybe one day, you will be person enough to own up to the fact that you look down on people from the south and from Kentucky in particular.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:18 PM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 254,972 times
Ok marmac, you obviously know nothing about Kentucky, so here's the deal...
Most of those hillbillies you refer to know the meaning of the words 'median' and 'flippant'. And, they understand what 'deny' means. Could it be, that those poverty stricken folks that you're insulting choose to make it on their own? And FWIW, how many people are there in this United States that can still say that? You are obviously confusing eastern Kentucky with Detroit. There is a real sense of dignity and pride that exists in the eastern part of Kentucky that outsiders don't understand. It's also something that's missing in the rest of this country. If they can't afford it, they don't have it. Period.
And really, could it possibly occur to you that maybe those people don't want your help? Sometimes people choose things that don't conform to another person's idea of 'what is right'. There really are people in this world that don't value their life, based on how much money they make, or how much crap they own.
My ancestors left that area years ago, but I still love and respect the values they brought with them. And there are still family stories about how everyone in Louisville ate very well during the depression, because of our relatives in the southeastern part of the state. And my great aunt lived happily in a house in Gravel Switch until she couldn't live by herself anymore. She owned about a mile of Highway 68 in Lebanon and had millions in the bank.
So please, before you start 'reaching across the aisle' to help those that live so shabbily, read a book by a gentleman named Thomas Sowell (Gawd, I love him)...It's called The Vision of the Annoited - Self Congratulation as a Basis for Social Policy.
And then butt the hell out. Trust me Sweetie, laptops AIN'T that expensive...

Old 11-22-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think there is a difference between people who are poor by choice and those who have no choice but to be poor.

Poverty in rural Kentucky is due to most people preferring to get a government check for their 'disability' whether than to go out and earn an honest living. They are healthy enough to go hunting 5 hours a day but they can't be a greeter at Wal Mart - give me a break!
I know that I said I was done with this thread but I had to reply to censusdata. I agree with him. They need to get some able bodied people off government checks. To me, if you are able to go out and party, fight, do drugs, etc, you are able to get yourself a job. I really think that a lot of the drug problems that they have in the area is due to these people going to doctors, getting prescriptions for pain killers then selling them on the street.
I don't think most of the people from my area are receiving a check, maybe 33%, but that is still way too many people receiving government help.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:59 PM

15 posts, read 27,635 times
But, just to point out, it's not just Kentucky that is like that. I live in Ohio, wanting to move to Kentucky but thats another story, and there are PLENTY of people around here that are on welfare, because they don't wanna work, they would rather sit around, have kids, and drink/do drugs. That is a problem in the USA in general.

For some though, it isn't the case, they do work and try to make a living but just need that extra little help. Actually been there done that myself.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:39 PM

-----" could it be that those poverty striken folks that you're insulting choose to make it on their own?"

DerbyCityDiva-------apparently Nightrider127 and Censusdata believe they are not choosing to make it on their own ( it was they who accused them of getting govt checks and not working )

I just stated statistics !

Old 11-24-2009, 04:20 PM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
marmac,
While I certainly don't want you to think I am going to argue with a fellow Kentuckian's point of view, I have to stand my ground here. And I want to apologize beforehand for the length of this post.
Quote:
I just stated statistics !
No, you also stated
Quote:
doubt those are the ones buying expensive laptops for their kids...Glad to see your friends son is taking a laptop to school. Mainly, I'm glad he is going to school and hope he graduates.
Which made it perfectly clear that what you were trying to do, is spin your facts and statistics to make your point. And personally, I find your point not only rude, but stereotypic and arrogant. You're attempting to prove that everyone in eastern Kentucky is either stupid, uneducated, lazy, or a druggie.

So, since you are so sure 'statistics' tell the whole story, here's a few for ya:
'Median incomes' for some other counties across the country; McDowell County, W. Virginia at $20,486 - Shannon County, SD at $25, 867 - Chicot Co. Arkansas at $24,809 - Leflore County, Alabama is $23,614 - Wilcox County, Alabama at $23, 090.

And 'statistics' for 'poverty levels' (my southern sensibilities stop me from defining the term for you...) in some cities across the country. Detroit MI had a poverty level of 32.5%, Buffalo NY 29.9%, Milwaukee, WI 24.4%, Cincinnati, OH 27.8%, Philadelphia, PA 25.1%, Brownsville, TX 40.6%, Camden, NJ 35.6%, and Kalamazoo, MI 33.4%. And here's some county poverty levels; Hidalgo County, TX 36.9%, Bronx County, NY 29.1%, Kings County, NY 22.6%. According to the NY Times on November 18, 2009, the county with the highest poverty level in the country was Ziebach County, S.D., where 54.4% of residents live below the official poverty line. And get this, the median income in Ziebach County is $25,592. So, are all those people just lazy?

Now let's move on to some 'statistics' for education. In 2007, Kentucky outranked 18 other states' test scores. It may surprise you to know that Ohio, Illinois, Utah, Michigan, Oregon and California were among the states testing lower than Kentucky. I found 'statistics' from a study by Education Week in 2006 that said researchers estimated only 52.5 percent of S.C.'s entire class of 2003 graduated on time. It's the lowest rate in the nation, and that's across the whole dang state. So do you believe everyone in South Carolina is stupid?

I could go on and on with 'statistics' about welfare and drugs, but that would make everyone in Detroit look like baby-mamas or drug dealers.

It might just surprise you to know, that while Kentucky has produced numerous Fulbright Scholars, and several Rhodes Scholars, the state's latest Rhodes Scholar (and the first female to ever win from UofL) is from eastern Kentucky.

So my point is, sometimes the whole story can't be found in 'statistics'. I don't know your location, but I suspect it's somewhere in the northeast. So here's a little tidbit you probably don't realize. Southerners/rural-residents are guilty of a few stereotypes too. We aren't really all that impressed with the northern sense of self-importance. Most folks from the north know very little about the agricultural side of life. Very few have ever touched a live cow, much less hogs, chickens or corn. They eat them, but they have no idea how they magically appear in their supermarkets. Low income numbers can be very deceiving when discussing rural life. When someone owns land (more than those little one acre lots northerners call farms...) and livestock, they can quite possibly live very well without boatloads of cash.

Just because celebrities like Victoria Beckham and her kid want to go parading around eastern Kentucky for a photo-op, doesn't mean those people need her to eat. What it means is, she needs some way to get her face back in the media. If she really wanted to do something worthwhile, she would head on up to Brooklyn, where they really have it bad. She could get her picture taken there, wading around in some real crap (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/23/us...r.html?_r=1&hp).

Guess what I'm trying to say is, would y'all please point and sneer at another state for a while, Kentucky is gettin' kind of tired...

The Poorest Counties of America - Economix Blog - NYTimes.com
Unemployed can get help from charities, government | detnews.com | The Detroit News
Poverty USA -- Catholic Campaign for Human Development -- A hand up, not a hand out.
http://www.census.gov/did/www/saipe/...t_Poor2008.pdf
Study Gives S.C. Lowest Graduation Rate: Education Week Says Almost Half of '03 Class Didn't Finish On - Education News - redOrbit
First U of L woman awarded Rhodes Scholarship - WAVE 3 TV Louisville, KY |
CQ Press: Education State Rankings 2009-2010, Kathleen O'Leary Morgan , Scott Morgan
Reuters AlertNet - Victoria and Brooklyn Beckham Visit Rural Kentucky to Promote Equal Opportunity for All Kids

Old 11-24-2009, 09:43 PM

?????????????????

I posted that the median household income in Harlan KY was $19,534

You then posted other places in the US as examples that had median incomes of--------$20,486......$25,867.....$24,809.....$23,614.....$ 23,090

Every median household income you posted was--higher-- than $19,634
Your point was....?????????

Fullbright Scholars.........Rhodes Scholars -----I never said there wern't any in KY. I never even said none of them were from Harlan KY

However, since 32.3 % of residents of Harlan didn't graduate from high school , that is 32.3% I'll bet were not considered eligible to be Rhodes Scholars or Fullbright Scholars--( or even policemen, doctors, lawyers,teachers, and IT techs)

Old 11-25-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Every median household income you posted was--higher-- than $19,634
Your point was....?????????
My point was, you'll find low numbers like that in several other states too. If you really believe that when you're talking numbers like this, $1000 one way or another makes a huge amount of difference, than you are even more clueless than I imagined.

Quote:
However, since 32.3 % of residents of Harlan didn't graduate from high school , that is 32.3% I'll bet were not considered eligible to be Rhodes Scholars or Fullbright Scholars--( or even policemen, doctors, lawyers,teachers, and IT techs
Yeah ok, you win, you're right. Since you obviously aren't grateful for the coal mining labor of a large part of that 32.3%, and you don't have a clue how dark your world would be without them, I'll shutup and you get to be right. You are a dang genius, and everyone in Harlan County is a toothless idiot. And it's all up to you to teach the world how stupid people from Harlan are. Those people couldn't possibly be teachers, lawyers, doctors or IT people, 'causin everybody is so busy out thar in them mountains cookin' shine. Do you feel better now?

But you Mr. marmac sir, why you are so intelligment, that ifn we all jus had your brains, shoot, jus maybe wez cud all make sumthin of oursefs too. An we sure do thank ya for bein' so kind as to point out how stoopid we are, 'cause dang, fore you showd us, we dint know. We thought we put our pants on just like you. Now I know, next time I need to change my drawers, I'd better be askin' sumeone like you to hep me...

You make me feel like the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz. When Dorothy asks him how he can talk without any brains, he said, "Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky