U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:00 AM

9,807 posts, read 14,074,152 times

Advertisements

Your statements are quite contradictory-----"the coal mining labor as a large part of that 32.3%

If a large percent of the highs chool dropouts worked in the coal mines, and so many of the rest are--" doctors,nurses,teachers,policemen,teachers, IT techs "--- the median wage would be a lot higher than $19,634
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 01:12 PM

231 posts, read 634,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyCityDiva View Post
My point was, you'll find low numbers like that in several other states too. If you really believe that when you're talking numbers like this, $1000 one way or another makes a huge amount of difference, than you are even more clueless than I imagined.

Yeah ok, you win, you're right. Since you obviously aren't grateful for the coal mining labor of a large part of that 32.3%, and you don't have a clue how dark your world would be without them, I'll shutup and you get to be right. You are a dang genius, and everyone in Harlan County is a toothless idiot. And it's all up to you to teach the world how stupid people from Harlan are. Those people couldn't possibly be teachers, lawyers, doctors or IT people, 'causin everybody is so busy out thar in them mountains cookin' shine. Do you feel better now?

But you Mr. marmac sir, why you are so intelligment, that ifn we all jus had your brains, shoot, jus maybe wez cud all make sumthin of oursefs too. An we sure do thank ya for bein' so kind as to point out how stoopid we are, 'cause dang, fore you showd us, we dint know. We thought we put our pants on just like you. Now I know, next time I need to change my drawers, I'd better be askin' sumeone like you to hep me...

You make me feel like the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz. When Dorothy asks him how he can talk without any brains, he said, "Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking."
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!! Thank You DerbyCityDiva for making my Thanksgiving enjoyable!!!!!!! Your posts are awesome!!! Your third paragraph is "PRICELESS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:11 PM

5,753 posts, read 3,448,857 times
I thought this was about helping people in need in rural Appalacia? The Warfield area of eastern Kentucky Lovely,Beauty,comes to mind. My family were railroaders and when we were asked where we worked all week we'd say "Warfield Ky down the road from Beauty,up the road from Lovely" that was a long time ago.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:51 AM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 253,309 times
You are exactly right, and I apologize for hijacking the thread for a personal rant. I 'jus' cudn't hep mysef' when poor Jamie40829 started getting hammered for an old post trying to defend her home.

Any offer of help to another person is a wonderful thing. There is certainly hardship all around us, and I fear it will get worse before it gets better. I just believe quiet assistance is more the Christian way. I don't think it's very nice to disgrace someone, while offering them a hand.

I liked "Warfield Ky down the road from Beauty,up the road from Lovely"...

P.S. If you're into trains, we had a cool thread going in the Louisville forum back in Sept. that you may have missed. They talk about Louisville's early El, and there are some really terrific old photos & video from the 1950's posted by MrFSS.
//www.city-data.com/forum/louis...tion-info.html

Old 11-30-2009, 11:27 AM

------" I thought this thread was about helping people in need in rural Appalachia"--

It was, til it got hijacked by posters stating that the poverty in Appalchia is not any different or any worse than anyplace else in the US.( and don't want facts contrary to their belief )

The " deniers" were also upset at Diane Sawyer,also.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:57 AM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 253,309 times
Hey marmac,
http://www.thebourbontriangle.com/dead_horse.gif (broken link)

Old 11-30-2009, 12:03 PM

Is that the horse that came in last at the Kentucky Derby ?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:59 PM

664 posts, read 805,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
London, I certainly don't expect you to believe me.

However, what I posted was not an opinion( your post was) but statistics about Harlan KY that I got fron City-Data Detailed Profile on Harlan Kentucky.

Rant all you want with your opinion.
What I posted was facts.

I agree with your statistics. I've done a lot of reading on eastern KY & the poverty in that area borders on a 3rd world country. The other posters who are attacking you are allowing the pride they have in their state to blind them from facts. Gee you really don't have to go any further in research than youtube to view the poverty in that area.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think there is a difference between people who are poor by choice and those who have no choice but to be poor.

Poverty in rural Kentucky is due to most people preferring to get a government check for their 'disability' whether than to go out and earn an honest living. They are healthy enough to go hunting 5 hours a day but they can't be a greeter at Wal Mart - give me a break!
I totally disagree. I believe most want to work but if you live in remote areas jobs are far & inbetween, afterall the entire unemployed population can't all work for Walmart, there aren't that many. There are many coal mining towns in KY where the town has remained but the coal mines have long been gone, & if there's no other enterprises then now what? Oh yeah that's right, go find a Walmart 60 miles away to work for even if you have no car. Makes sense to me.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
------" I thought this thread was about helping people in need in rural Appalachia"--

It was, til it got hijacked by posters stating that the poverty in Appalchia is not any different or any worse than anyplace else in the US.( and don't want facts contrary to their belief )

The " deniers" were also upset at Diane Sawyer,also.
You're absolutely right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky