Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:51 PM

29 posts, read 88,735 times

Advertisements

You all just don't get it. Any time a news crew or anyone come here to do a story, it always shows the worst of the worst. It doesn't show the nice neighborhoods with nice homes, nice cars, Nooooo, that would not get the high ratings.

Do you all really believe the stereotypes about this area? If so, then I got some oceanfront property I will sell ya real cheap.

It is very sad that fellow Kentuckians fail to understand the harm a stereotype will do, I am sure even with your high and mighty selves that somewhere people think you screw goats just because you live in Ky. You can look up all the statistics you want but until you come here and actually see it for yourselves you will never understand. We have running water, hardwood floors, carpeted floors, housing with ceilings, yards for our kids to play in (with or without shoes), neighbors that care for each other, cars that work, people with real teeth, doctors, lawyers, business owners, rich, poor, restaurants, car dealerships, everything that 'other' towns have. Just go ahead and continue to believe we are the worst Ky has to offer because of a few statistics but I guarantee you we have some of the best people Ky has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 01:29 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,110,788 times
No, I never did believe people in Eastern KY were --screwing goats-.

However, the report did show people who were screwing their relatives.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:53 PM

Technically, those people were not from Harlan County (thank God) but that is just another thing that could have been left out of the show but wasn't. What good did they think was going to come from that piece of film? Embarrassment for that family is what I am guessing it caused. Just because there is a bad apple every now and then doesn't mean the whole bushel is bad.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:11 PM

677 posts, read 929,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudWildcat View Post
Technically, those people were not from Harlan County (thank God) but that is just another thing that could have been left out of the show but wasn't. What good did they think was going to come from that piece of film? Embarrassment for that family is what I am guessing it caused. Just because there is a bad apple every now and then doesn't mean the whole bushel is bad.
Well the good it did do was expose the extreme poverty of the area, & because of that many donations were given in the forms of cash, food, & clothing. As President Obama has often stressed Americans are a generous people & it always holds true when others are in need.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:18 PM

No, showing the part about the inappropriate sexual behavior is NOT what caused the donations. You misunderstood my post (seems to happen alot here). Also, I have not seen or heard of any donations to Harlan County due to that showing.

Not to mention the title of this topic is offensive, who do you know in KY that lives in a village??

Old 03-04-2010, 08:34 PM

295 posts, read 969,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Well the good it did do was expose the extreme poverty of the area, & because of that many donations were given in the forms of cash, food, & clothing. As President Obama has often stressed Americans are a generous people & it always holds true when others are in need.

The poverty, extreme or otherwise did not have to be exposed, people were already aware of it. That program was done for the ratings and ratings only. If anything good came from it, I am glad but that was not the purpose at all.

Tell me this. Why didn't they film some of the nicer things down there? Why did they pass by beautiful homes, beautiful scenery provided by God Himself and go up in some holler and film a shack that was falling in on itself? I'll tell you why. Pretty homes, nice neighborhoods and beautiful scenery don't get the ratings they were after.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:58 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,766,614 times
Good posts Marmac!! You are fighting the good fight. My family comes from rural Kentucky, Virginia and other parts of the South. Extreme poverty is a problem that's not being addressed in this state and country. I refuse to lie about the pockets I've seen. It's not all we have to offer but it is an unpleasant fact to be adressed. My family's from Ashland BTW.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:18 PM

I would like you all to answer a question for me. What do you consider to be extreme poverty? I would like to see the responses before I go on.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:54 AM

Wow, didn't mean to stump everyone with such a simple question.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:36 AM

1,549 posts, read 2,767,924 times
As a basis for further discusssion, extreme poverty can perhaps be defined as the inability to acquire through any means known to the members of a household the adequate nutrition, medical services, clothing, and shelter necessary to ensure the health and security of that household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky