U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:42 AM

871 posts, read 2,030,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Try Evarts, also, I lived in the Harlan area for 10+ years. You're nowhere close to anything like the rest of the country.

You ARE a bunch of poor hillbillies... I will say, you may not be, but the majority of Harlan is a very destitute and sad place.
the majority? about 35 percent of the county is below poverty, which is ridiculously high, but certainly not a majority.

but im amazed at your incredibly elitest and insensitive attitude. you are talking about these people like they are rodents. what in the hell is wrong with you?

why dont you think about HOW this happened to these areas and maybe show some damn sympathy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 04:29 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,815,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
the majority? about 35 percent of the county is below poverty, which is ridiculously high, but certainly not a majority.

but im amazed at your incredibly elitest and insensitive attitude. you are talking about these people like they are rodents. what in the hell is wrong with you?

why dont you think about HOW this happened to these areas and maybe show some damn sympathy.
He's some little immature kid that's too young to know better.....

Old 03-29-2010, 09:33 PM

295 posts, read 870,117 times
Quote:

He/she/it isn't going to show any sympathy to the area. Hell, he/she/it wont even report that filthy dirty hospital to the Joint Commission. That tells me that he/she/it don't even give a crap about people who are already sick getting sicker or the people that come to see them get sick either.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:56 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,619,271 times
Quote:

How it happened? It's eastern Kentucky. 'Nuff said.

But yeah, I view them as rodents because the ones who ARE smart enough to escape are far too proud to "git owt thurr and do some o dat durr book lernin wit dem cittehfolk"

Old 03-30-2010, 09:25 PM

871 posts, read 2,030,378 times
Quote:
How it happened? It's eastern Kentucky. 'Nuff said.
no, it happened because families moved into towns where coal was the source of employment. coal companies exploited these people and when the industry died they were left in poverty.

Quote:
But yeah, I view them as rodents because the ones who ARE smart enough to escape are far too proud to "git owt thurr and do some o dat durr book lernin wit dem cittehfolk"
you are a terrible person. you should be ashamed. poor people to you are rodents, and you stereotype and denigrate them. that is just shameful.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:40 PM

295 posts, read 870,117 times
Quote:
no, it happened because families moved into towns where coal was the source of employment. coal companies exploited these people and when the industry died they were left in poverty.

you are a terrible person. you should be ashamed. poor people to you are rodents, and you stereotype and denigrate them. that is just shameful.
Jimmyjohn, that person must be really ashamed of himself/herself/its self because to be ashamed of your heritage is to be ashamed of oneself.
And whether this person likes it or not, his/her/it's heritage is in Harlan County, Ky

Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,018 times
Default merry christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonShoe View Post
My mother recently told me about a missionary-type trip she made to the Appalachian mountains in Kentucky/West Virginia with her church group more than 40 years ago. She mentioned how destitute these tiny towns were and the very poor quality of life the people there had.

I know times have changed but from what I've read these areas still exist to some extent. I was talking this over with my Sunday school class and everyone agreed that we would love to do something to help, so next weekend we're organizing a canned food and clothing drive. I think we're going to have a great turnout and we were hoping to find one or two of these villages to take our donations too. I asked my mom, but she doesn't remember at all what the places were, aside from "way up in the mountains", so I thought I'd register here and post.

Can anyone lend me a hand or direct me to where I can find more information?

Thanks so much,

Sharon
harlan ky is one

Old 12-12-2012, 10:43 AM

11,100 posts, read 9,367,428 times
The original post in this thread is four years old - however, I'd suggest that anyone who wants to help get in touch with the Christian Appalachian Project - sorry, no link, but it should turn up easily if you look.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 944 times
Sharon,
I am with a non profit that gives food and clothing to children in the Appalachian Mountain Region. Our area is large and we can always use help of all kinds. The Appalachian Mountain region stretches from Southern New York state toi Central Alabama and Mississippi. The children suffer a higher incidence of uvenile arthritis ust for lack nof proper clothing in the severe winters than anywhere else in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonShoe View Post
My mother recently told me about a missionary-type trip she made to the Appalachian mountains in Kentucky/West Virginia with her church group more than 40 years ago. She mentioned how destitute these tiny towns were and the very poor quality of life the people there had.

I know times have changed but from what I've read these areas still exist to some extent. I was talking this over with my Sunday school class and everyone agreed that we would love to do something to help, so next weekend we're organizing a canned food and clothing drive. I think we're going to have a great turnout and we were hoping to find one or two of these villages to take our donations too. I asked my mom, but she doesn't remember at all what the places were, aside from "way up in the mountains", so I thought I'd register here and post.

Can anyone lend me a hand or direct me to where I can find more information?

Thanks so much,

Sharon

Old 02-12-2013, 05:00 PM

13,625 posts, read 22,424,465 times
Pike County Hope

That is a link to an organization here in Pike County that supplies food, clothing etc. to people in need. They have links you can follow for any advice. The City of Pikeville is growing and thriving, but there are many people in the county that Hope provides for and will be very happy to help you with your distribution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky