U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:28 PM

13 posts, read 67,546 times

Advertisements

My mother recently told me about a missionary-type trip she made to the Appalachian mountains in Kentucky/West Virginia with her church group more than 40 years ago. She mentioned how destitute these tiny towns were and the very poor quality of life the people there had.

I know times have changed but from what I've read these areas still exist to some extent. I was talking this over with my Sunday school class and everyone agreed that we would love to do something to help, so next weekend we're organizing a canned food and clothing drive. I think we're going to have a great turnout and we were hoping to find one or two of these villages to take our donations too. I asked my mom, but she doesn't remember at all what the places were, aside from "way up in the mountains", so I thought I'd register here and post.

Can anyone lend me a hand or direct me to where I can find more information?

Thanks so much,

Sharon
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 09:08 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,602,348 times
Contact the Missions Coordinator at Centenary United Methodist Church in Lexington. The phone number is 859-269-2800, I think. This church does a lot of missions work in the Eastern Kentucky area, and is well familiar with the area and the need. I'm sure this will be a good lead for you.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:22 AM

90 posts, read 366,928 times
Please let us know about the need. I had always heard about the poverty when I grew up in KY and am wondering if things have improved.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 14,296 times
Default mission opportunities in appalachia

I work with [URL="http://www.appalachianministries.com"]www.appalachianministries.com[/URL] and we do in fact help low income families in rural eastern Kentucky with basic needs like clothes, shoes, school supplies. Most of our financial support and volunteer work groups are from congregations. We would love to have the support of your Sunday School class!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:08 PM

7 posts, read 36,567 times
Harlan KY has many destitute families, some homes do not have indoor plumbing or nothing more than dirt floors. Coal mines is the majority of jobs that are available, other than local medical jobs. You see barefoot children everywhere off of the main highway / basically on any mountain side. Any organization that sends items to Harlan KY has my personal approval.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:27 AM

200 posts, read 752,911 times
kywanderer... I invite you to come to see MY Harlan, Kentucky. I live here and have lived in quite a few parts of the country. While some may have a hard time here in Harlan, I can assure you we are in no worse shape than any other part of the state or country. We are teachers, we are doctors, we are nurses we are policeman, we are computer technicians. Did you know that the firm who produces most software used in school lunch programs is based right here in Harlan Kentucky? While I am not saying we dont appreciate the help. I do not want people getting on here thinking we are a bunch of poor hillbillies who let our children walk alongside the road barefoot..... That is just not the case for the good majority of our county and town. Thank you.

and oh yeah. I am yet to see a house with dirt floors or no indoor plumbing in this day and age in this county. Please, if you know of citizens in my town living like this let me know.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 10,773 times
I know your post was made avery long time ago but I wanted to reply in hopes of your help in anyway. I know of a church in eastern ky, jones creek in Harlan county to be precise. They are looking for anyone who has anything to donate so it can be made available to the people of harlan county no matter what the age. It is nice knowing that you have tried and possibly made a difference in someones life just by giving. If you have any suggestions please feel free to e-mail me @ [email]jordant00@bellsouth.net[/email]

Old 11-15-2009, 06:32 PM

9,807 posts, read 14,202,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie40829 View Post
kywanderer... I invite you to come to see MY Harlan, Kentucky. I live here and have lived in quite a few parts of the country. While some may have a hard time here in Harlan, I can assure you we are in no worse shape than any other part of the state or country. We are teachers, we are doctors, we are nurses we are policeman, we are computer technicians. Did you know that the firm who produces most software used in school lunch programs is based right here in Harlan Kentucky? While I am not saying we dont appreciate the help. I do not want people getting on here thinking we are a bunch of poor hillbillies who let our children walk alongside the road barefoot..... That is just not the case for the good majority of our county and town. Thank you.

and oh yeah. I am yet to see a house with dirt floors or no indoor plumbing in this day and age in this county. Please, if you know of citizens in my town living like this let me know.

-" I can assure you we are in no worse shape than any other parts of the state or country "--

Statistics on City-Data Detailed Profile of Harlan KY don't support your assertion.

Here are some examples---

----Residents with income below poverty level
--Harlan KY--32.4 %
-state of KY--15.8 %

--Residents with income below 50% of poverty--
--Harlan KY---14 %
-state of KY---6.6 %

--" We are teachers,we are doctors, we are nurses, we are policemen, we are computer technicians...."

Many are not as 32.3 % of the residents over 25 don't even have a high school diploma !

Old 11-19-2009, 09:35 AM

119 posts, read 446,991 times
I understood that as late as the mid-70s, most people in Harlan didn't even have electricity (watch Harlan County USA to see what I mean). I find it hard to believe that it caught up so much that it is in "no worse shape" than any other part of the country

Old 11-19-2009, 05:15 PM

295 posts, read 870,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurrMark View Post
I understood that as late as the mid-70s, most people in Harlan didn't even have electricity (watch Harlan County USA to see what I mean). I find it hard to believe that it caught up so much that it is in "no worse shape" than any other part of the country
You misunderstood HurrMark. There was electricity in Harlan long before the 70s.

There is money in Harlan, don't kid yourself. The coal mines pay big bucks. I am not saying there is no poverty in Harlan, poverty is everywhere. But as far as everyone being up against it, it's just not true.

I invite you to do a web search on Harlan, Kentucky Playhouse forums. You will be pleasantly surprised at what you will find. Wonderful people, beautiful pictures from around the city and county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky