Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better skyline?
Lexington 8 34.78%
Covington 15 65.22%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtrees_are_kool View Post
Its hard to beat the Covington Skyline in Kentucky (maybe Louisville is better) in my opinion. Lexington is great but what catches my eyes when looking (for just skyline wise) is tall buildings, and like you said before it has built 2 or the last 3 tall buildings(just taking your word). The condo place, looks great in covington skyline. I did see in a newspaper that Lexington was building some huge building.Anyone know if that is true?
Lexington's downtown is much more impressive at ground level than Covington's, but it the skyline viewed from afar just isn't that great -decent but not great.

Lexington is getting a new tallest building by 2010/11. It will be 440 feet tall. Personally I really like its design

http://wkyt.mis.net/images/CentrePointe%203-4-08.jpg (broken link)

However, there are also several more high rises coming to NKY, so the skyline debate will continue

Newport just finished the first tower of a twin towers condo project

http://static4.bareka.com/photos/medium/12279859.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 03:05 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Its hard to beat the Covington Skyline in Kentucky (maybe Louisville is better) in my opinion. Lexington is great but what catches my eyes when looking (for just skyline wise) is tall buildings, and like you said before it has built 2 or the last 3 tall buildings(just taking your word). The condo place, looks great in covington skyline. I did see in a newspaper that Lexington was building some huge building.Anyone know if that is true?
"maybe" Louisville is better? I think there is no question about that. Louisville has suburban buildings as tall as what is in downtown Covington. Louisville's East downtown/Medical district skyline is as impressive as Covington's. The CBD skyline blows Covington out of the water. Louisville skyline is not quite up to par to Cincinnati, but its not far behind. Museum Plaza will be taller than any building in Cincinnati.

I do agree Covington beats Lexington in skyline, but only just barely. I think the river and the knew condo tower are what gives it the edge at this point.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:06 PM

486 posts, read 1,897,392 times
That huge building would be Centre Point which frankly I think is going to be a nice addition to our "skyline." If we're talking about which skyline is better then Covington wins hands down. Cincy still dominates every city within a 400 mile radius (until you reach Chicago). Census basically has summed everything up that I was going to say so I won't have to say it myself.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:29 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,152 times
400 miles from Lexington? Cincy has a nice skyline, but so does Nashville:

and St Louis:

I always thought that St Louis could stand to have more skyscrapers. With a metro pop of around 3 million, you would expect more. And Memphis, forget about it. That whole city is a toilet.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 PM

200 posts, read 807,007 times
sorry my i agree the cincy skyline is awesome. one on the level of many much larger areas.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:22 PM

This is a stupid argument to begin with. "Who has the better skyline?" In reality, it is all in the opinion of who is looking. There is no right or wrong answer and no winner of the debate.

How about this one:

A 590,000 population city.

Of course the metro is 4.5 million...lol

Old 07-22-2008, 08:11 PM

154 posts, read 533,936 times
kentuckydad, what city is that?

Old 07-22-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
kentuckydad, what city is that?
Boston

Old 07-22-2008, 08:22 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
That's Boston. You have to be in a plane or in the harbor to see the skyline from that angle, so that isn't the view that is most familiar. The most typical view of the Boston skyline if from Cambridge looking at the Pru and Hancock buildings. I really like that picture, much more impressive.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:29 PM

Could you imagine living in this tangle of steel and concrete?

A portion of NYC. I value my green space too much!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky