Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:37 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Do you have a point? I know what the temps were at my house, I don't care what the temps were at the airport were those reading were taken at the airport and I don't live at the airport.
Frankly I don't care what you believe, and I'm not going to waste my time arguing about it. It's just not that important. So unless you were here, you don't know and airport reading are moot.

Those reading also said we got 2 inches of rain in July, were I live we got 0, in August it said we got 1.1 inches, we got a small sprinkle, but I guess what ever it does at the airport it does everywhere.
It isn't what I "believe". It is what the official data says. I doubt they are lying to make KY look cooler than it is.

So, you got 40+ days of 100 degree heat at your house, whereas the airport had 8 and you live in the same area? That is pretty amazing, I bet meteorologists would love to study the microclimate you have around your house. I think you need to move your thermometer out of the sun.

I work with numbers all day long. If I get them wrong, I get fired. That is why I am particular about using statistics properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:56 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
That is why I am particular about using statistics properly.
52.4% of all statistics are wrong, 46.1% are made up, and a full 0.485% of statistics are correct, according to 87.3% of pollsters, 31% of the time.

You provided weather history for the Paducah Airport, which I'm no where near nor is my thermometer in the sun. You seem to be having trouble excepting that you don't know everything, that somehow data from 50 miles away is proof of conditions on the ground elsewhere. You go ahead and deal with your little numbers which are painfully easy to manipulate, I'll deal with the reality around me.

If the weatherman says it's raining, I don't believe it until I'm standing in the rain.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
52.4% of all statistics are wrong, 46.1% are made up, and a full 0.485% of statistics are correct, according to 87.3% of pollsters, 31% of the time.

You provided weather history for the Paducah Airport, which I'm no where near nor is my thermometer in the sun. You seem to be having trouble excepting that you don't know everything, that somehow data from 50 miles away is proof of conditions on the ground elsewhere. You go ahead and deal with your little numbers which are painfully easy to manipulate, I'll deal with the reality around me.

If the weatherman says it's raining, I don't believe it until I'm standing in the rain.
I would consider 50 miles away to be relatively near. It isn't like there is a mountain range or anything to change the climate over those 50 miles.

Measuring air temperature is kind of hard to manipulate. It is what it is. If you honestly believe that it is possible that the air temperature in your backyard was that different than at the Paducah airport, 50 miles away, then there is no reason to discuss further. Granted, there will be minor differences, but you don't see that much difference.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I don't know about anyone else but I don't care near as much about actual temperature as I do heat index. I care about how it feels much more than what it measures.
It matters because the OP is asking about weather conditions in KY. If it is 100+ in real temperature, then the heat index will typically be 110+. That is a significant difference. KY gets a few days that reach 100 every year but typical summertime highs are 90+/- and humid. Do you agree?

Old 07-24-2008, 08:07 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times
Quote:
It matters because the OP is asking about weather conditions in KY. If it is 100+ in real temperature, then the heat index will typically be 110+. That is a significant difference. KY gets a few days that reach 100 every year but typical summertime highs are 90+/- and humid. Do you agree?
To me it seems the OP wants to know how the weather is. I don't know anyone who tells the temperate in actual measure but in what it feels like so that is what I do.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
To me it seems the OP wants to know how the weather is. I don't know anyone who tells the temperate in actual measure but in what it feels like so that is what I do.
My relatives that live in NY state think that anything over 80 is miserable, yet 20 degree days with 12" of snow do not bother them. My friend from CA is having fits because we actually have weather that varies more than 70 +/- 10 degrees. Our friends who visited from New Mexico think a dry 105 degree day isn't that bad but can't stand the 90 deg + high humidity in Alabama. Giving the OP qualitative descriptions without any numbers is kind of useless because each person has a different definition of "hot, cold, humid, rainy..."

To the OP: it is hot and humid in the summer, cool and pleasant in the fall, cold in the winter and rainy in the spring. Apparently that is all you need to know about KY weather.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:47 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,598 times
Quote:
I would consider 50 miles away to be relatively near. It isn't like there is a mountain range or anything to change the climate over those 50 miles.

No mountain ranges but 4 major rivers and 3 large lakes alter the climate from area to area. And they do create micro climates.

My friend in Paducah called a few minutes ago, it's in the mid 70's and raining, while here it's in the upper 80's and sunny. It's not unusual, it's normal.

I pay little attention to weather people, I do pay attention to the environment ... you want to know when it's going to rain, watch the trees. Many species turn the under side of the leaves up before a rain, especially silver maples.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:56 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times
Quote:
I pay little attention to weather people, I do pay attention to the environment ... you want to know when it's going to rain, watch the trees. Many species turn the under side of the leaves up before a rain, especially silver maples.
You are right hun, Yes they do! My husband actually thought I was making it up and called my Grandpa to ask him about it lol

Old 07-24-2008, 10:08 PM

285 posts, read 901,811 times
Wow I just came in to this thread and that is cool about the leaves!!! Can't wait to see this.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:31 AM

276 posts, read 792,719 times
Quote:
My relatives that live in NY state think that anything over 80 is miserable, yet 20 degree days with 12" of snow do not bother them. My friend from CA is having fits because we actually have weather that varies more than 70 +/- 10 degrees. Our friends who visited from New Mexico think a dry 105 degree day isn't that bad but can't stand the 90 deg + high humidity in Alabama. Giving the OP qualitative descriptions without any numbers is kind of useless because each person has a different definition of "hot, cold, humid, rainy..."

To the OP: it is hot and humid in the summer, cool and pleasant in the fall, cold in the winter and rainy in the spring. Apparently that is all you need to know about KY weather.
You talk about miserable heat and humidity! Try living in FL. It's like living in a bottle of warm **** most of the year. What a miserable place. No wonder I'm still attempting to move to KY (at least I received my KY Teaching License yesterday)! Maybe something will turn up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky