Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:23 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,494,852 times

Advertisements

Here's a good video on Pikeville, I don't know why so many run Pikeville down like it's the worst place in the country to live. I've made many trips through that area, I use to stop in Pikeville once a week on my way to Williamson, W Va. I have some friends that live in that neck of the woods.

YouTube - Pikeville Medical Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 06:24 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
four floors and a basement..you're absolutely right who really cares..But one poster keeps insisting that it is a 7 floor jail full of wild Pike- villans
Oh brother, that's ridiculous.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:06 PM

200 posts, read 806,913 times
most people who run pikeville in the ground have never been there :P

Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
From the pictures it looks to be in a beautiful setting.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,889 times
I was born and raised in Pikeville, Ky.

After leaving in 1981, I recently visited in June of this year for the first time since 1984.

I was amazed to find that there STILL is not a decent restaurant is the entire town!

Do people in Pikeville only want to eat fast food?

Old 09-11-2008, 07:15 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Hi Cecilia, have you tried the prime rib at the Top of the Landmark?
Have you tried any of the items on the menu at the Log Cabin?
Have you tried the authentic Italian cuisine at Chiricos?

Yes there are many fast food restaurants here..Pikeville is the shopping center for many people who have to travel quite a distance to get here to shop, see their doctor, visit family in the hospital or nursing home..Fast food stops take up much less time out of their busy schedules and often the drive throughs are used to grab a bite to save time on the trip home......Where most families here still meet ariound the dinner table in the evening to enjoy real food from the love and kitchen of "Moms Cuisine"

Old 09-14-2008, 10:59 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,083,933 times
Default name?

The "Hall of Justice"? Were the city planners big fans of the show?

http://members.aol.com/bufferm/wav/superman.wav

Old 09-29-2008, 01:14 AM

246 posts, read 1,057,079 times
Default highliner

Boy, did I ever have trouble pulling that fishhook out of my lip! Hello, Everybody, did you miss little old me? Hey, that's a great picture of the uphill side of the building in question. Now, why didn't you go down into what used to be the bed of the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy river, and take a photo from that side? It would be so nice, don't you think?

Old 12-30-2008, 12:53 AM

5 posts, read 8,151 times
Default Pikeville is spectacular

I am from eastern Kentucky, and have lived in San Antonio and Boston since leaving 8 years ago. I think I just might move back when my husband's assignment is over. Spending vacations visiting family seems backward to me. I could spend them going other places, and seeing my family back there more all the time. There are more opportunities there than since I left. Pikeville has made vast improvements, such as the much-supported Expo Center. It is a coal town, and prescription drugs are being abused, but I don't worry if I go to the store in the middle of the night. It is fairly safe there. Rush hour is practically nonexistent. One can only see the benefits of the place if the city is right for them. I could spend hours on here bashing the Boston area, but I would rather sing the praises of eastern Kentucky. And as for all the racism remarks earlier, you might just find that in Pikeville, but I have since lived in cities where I have been screamed at, "CRACKER!" and so on. It isn't right, but when you are outnumbered, you become acutely aware because if no one saw color, there would be no name calling. Since living away, I have been learning to see people for their personality instead of their race, but this is a challenge as they congregate with their own race in the area, Brazilian, whatever, and completely exclude you for hours using another language. Pikeville is no worse than anywhere else for this sort of behavior, and people are becoming more accepting because of developments there.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:25 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Hi Ekygirl, welcome to cd forums and thank you for your kind posts on East Ky..I came 30 some years ago and I have seen so much development yet we remain a small friendly place to raise the kids..Pikeville has all the amenities of a big city but has a family friendly type atmosphere only found in small towns..We look forward to the time when you can come home..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky