Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 PM

63 posts, read 295,300 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Ashland, Ky. How is the crime and cost of living in Ashland? Are there any new subdivisions coming up in or around that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 08:50 AM

Is there no one from Ashland, ky?

Old 08-02-2008, 09:06 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,432 times
There are lots of nice areas in Ashland from what I have seen. There are nice subdivisions all along Skyline Drive. Some of the wealthiest areas are off Boy Scout Road on Pembroke Lane, Cheshire Lane, Southern Hills Drive.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:55 PM

What are the tax rates on food and clothing in Ashland?

Old 08-02-2008, 09:12 PM

486 posts, read 1,896,738 times
I'm not very knowledgeable about Ashland, but doesn't KY have a 6% sales tax statewide? I'm pretty sure Ashland doesn't have any extra taxes... I could tell you about Lexington or metro Cincinnati, but not E. KY.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:23 PM

Thanks. If anyone else out there can help with the Ashland area it would be much appreciated.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:08 PM

33 posts, read 117,746 times
I live in Ashland. Crime is on the rise. It is mostly property crimes, though. Not much violent crime. Shoplifting, burglaries, some robberies. And yes, our tax rate is 6% on groceries, nothing on prepared food. If you live within the city limits, taxes can be a bit high. Property taxes on home and car, school taxes, library taxes, etc, do add up. If you are thinking of moving here, i'd suggest finding a place to live outside the city limits. Ashland also has 1 1/2 % employmnet tax. Anyone who works within the city limits has this deducted from their check.
That said, Ashland is an OK place to live. It has come a long way in the last 10 years. Not a lot of new sub-divisions, or new construction period, is going in anywhere now. Bellefonte is pretty much the nicest area nearby. There is a country club with many expensive homes. Very expensive. A previous poster mentioned the area off Boy Scout Road as having some nice homes, and there are. As far as suburbs, south ashland is one of the most desirable upper working class neighborhoods. Nice schools, shops, grocery stores, etc. Message me directly with any specific questions.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:56 AM

CosmicVagabond you stated that crime is on the rise is that due to drugs in the area? We have alot of crime here and it is mainly due to severe drugs in and around the area. Are the public schools safe for children to attend, and are they good schools?
About the realestate, what does a newer 4br home run in and around Ashland? I don't need to be in a country club but would like a nicer home. Any other information on the area or suggestions to nearby areas that might be better living and a short commute would be great.
We have also thought about possibly living in Huntington, WV and commuting to Ashland. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
hatnic

Old 08-07-2008, 03:55 PM

33 posts, read 117,746 times
Hatnic, yes drugs are an issue here, but not like many other places. Meth labs are seized and prescription pain pills are abused. Those crimes that are on the increase seem to be the ones that support habits. Shoplifting, burglaries, and thefts from cars are on the rise. There is very little violent crime, thank goodness. I would not be afraid to walk downtown late at night without fear. Some neighborhoods, I would not say that about though. But It is not too hard to figure out where those are. All together, Ashland is a pretty safe place. Schools are pretty safe. I have no recollection of hearing any negatives as far as that goes. The school facilities seem good, and have been updated/newly built within the last 20 years.
As far as homes go, the market here seems priced on the high side. Depending on how picky you are, I would think a decent 4 bedroom would start at 150k.
There are several bedroom communities surrounding ashland. Russell, flatwoods, westwood, cannonsburg, summitt, are all within a 10 minute drive.
If you are concerned with crime, I would advise against it. There is a university there and brings with it some unique problems. Crime is a good bit higher there, but there is also a lot more to do there. Huntington also has surrounding communities as well, with nice places to live. You can reach downtown Ashland from most places in Huntington within about 30 minutes.
You could do alot worse than living in Ashland. It is on a slow track though. If you are ok with that then I say go for it.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:21 PM

Out of the Russell, Flatwoods, Westwood, Cannonsburg, and Summitt areas what would you suggest? I am looking for a safe place to raise our three small children and would like to be in a nicer area without getting too expensive. We definitely need a great public school that is safe and academically stable. My daughter also does competitive cheerleading and my son plays youth soccer so those are some other things that I would be looking for in a community. Any help and all suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Nicole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky