Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:32 AM

73 posts, read 219,385 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if I should even bother to register to vote. I'm thinking my little blue vote probably doesn't matter here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:37 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
Not to get preachy, but it always "matters" to vote. Plus, there are more elections than just presidential. You've got congressional, state and local and KY doesn't vote "red" across the board on those.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:37 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
On a presidential level KY will only go for a blue dog type Democrat like Clinton or Carter (KY went Clinton twice, Carter once) or a Republican.

On a local level it's very evenly divided btw conservative Democrats and Republicans. Louisville & Lexington are really the only places that send liberal Democrats into the state house/ senate. Republicans narrowly hold the state senate while Democrats narrowly hold the state house

Old 07-31-2008, 01:41 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
On the national level, we're about as red as it gets. On the other hand, Jim Bunning could be very vulnerable the next time he runs, and obviously the governor races are winnable for Democrats.

So I'd encourage you to register and vote. You can make a difference in almost every race but the presidential one.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:17 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
An interesting bit of information, Kentucky has predicted the presidential winner in the last 10 elections, three of which went to the democrats. So, possibly... how Kentucky goes, the nation goes.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:06 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
On a presidential level KY will only go for a blue dog type Democrat like Clinton or Carter (KY went Clinton twice, Carter once) or a Republican.

On a local level it's very evenly divided btw conservative Democrats and Republicans. Louisville & Lexington are really the only places that send liberal Democrats into the state house/ senate. Republicans narrowly hold the state senate while Democrats narrowly hold the state house
Very much true. The state's House is about 60/40 Dems to Repubs and the state's Senate is about 55/45 Repubs to Dems. So yeah, very close splits.

Lexington and Louisville each send either very right-wing or very left-wing elected officials to these chambers. Very few elected officials in the middle. Still, the most left-wing officials come from these cities.

Interestingly enough, while rural Kentucky sends mostly "blue dog" Democrats to Frankfort, some of them are populist yet "progressive" left-wingers at the same time. Prime examples include Robin Webb of Grayson and Tanya Pullin of Greenup.

But yeah, at the national level we're red. At the state level, it's pretty evenly split. At the local election levels, most mayors and judge-executives are Democrats, so they're blue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
On the national level, we're about as red as it gets. On the other hand, Jim Bunning could be very vulnerable the next time he runs, and obviously the governor races are winnable for Democrats.

So I'd encourage you to register and vote. You can make a difference in almost every race but the presidential one.
Agreed!

By the way, I'll vote for Jim Bunning, as well as McConnell. I agree with their social and political core values, but I think both men are, uhmmmm...jerks. Primarily, I'll be voting for them b/c I'm scared of having somebody like Lunsford, or perhaps Yarmuth or Abramson represent the entire state. (Not an anti-Louisville statement at all, but I'm not fond of that city's numerous far left politicians.)

Old 07-31-2008, 10:40 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
Usually the Democratic primaries are more interesting than the Republican ones; the Democrats will have several choices while the Republicans will have just the one. That is one reason to be a registered Democrat - more interesting primaries.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:43 PM

200 posts, read 806,796 times
I cant see how this state could vote for a republican again after what has happened to the economy the past 7 years..... the last I checked we were number 10 in highest unemployment? Has that changed any? But yeah it will go red again this fall I would guess.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:43 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie40829 View Post
I cant see how this state could vote for a republican again after what has happened to the economy the past 7 years..... the last I checked we were number 10 in highest unemployment? Has that changed any? But yeah it will go red again this fall I would guess.

Unemployment rates in Kentucky vary greatly county by county. The county I live in has one of the lowest rates of unemployment, but one county over it is high and has been historically, not just the past 7 years.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:07 AM

200 posts, read 806,796 times
Yes thats true, but over the course of the past 8 years Kentucky as a whole has rose from an average of around 4 percent to around 6 percent. Thats a big shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky