Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 07:05 PM

7,064 posts, read 16,643,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
You have heard of a little company called Fruit of the Loom, right? Not to mention Houchens Industries, Holley Performance Products, Desa International, Camping World, Sumitomo and Bowling Green is home to the only plant that manufactures the GM Corvette (though not the headquarters of GM). We also have many other international companies with divisions located in Bowling Green. As far as WKU's campus, it is very beautiful and walkable but it is on a hill, hence the "Hilltoppers".
Dixiegirl, I didn't mean to offend you. WKU has a wonderful and green campus, it is just that there is not much in the town itself for the students to do (besides house and frat parties). You can't hardly walk to anything, the nightlife is poor, and there are very few independent shops. Instead, BG is very spread out for a small town and seems to be a mecca for strip malls. This is based on the sunbelt sprawl method of growth, and the Nashville burbs are a prime example. The sad part is, most people like this kind of sprawl and new strip mall growth, so I can understand the appeal. However, there is no appeal to someone living in say, Louisville's Highlands or Lincoln Park in Chicago or U city in STL, etc.

I have never heard of any of the other companies except Fruit of Loom (ok, and Houchens is fairly big considering they own a lot of grocery stores, and I believe they just aquired Louisville based Hilliard Lyons). While it retains a small headquarters in BG, it is owned at the top by Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway, so all the "big shot" money is in Omaha. For example, UPS air is "headquartered" in Louisville, yet since it is owned at the top by Atlanta based UPS, all the big money executives are in Georgia. In the same way, GE consumer and industrial is "headquartered" in Louisville, but all the big money is up in CT. That is why it was such huge news that GE may spin off that division and make it a separate Fortune 200 company with all the REAL executives based in Louisville.

There is no doubt BG is a growing and prosperous town for it's size, but it is no mecca for big business. It has received many nods lately as a great place for business relocation and a great place to open a small business. I think I certainly agree. But as far as having new economy jobs, lots of art, culture, urbanity, walkabilty, and a "hip factopr," not so much.

Now, back to the original topic. I believe the problem with many in KY is the attitude that "thousands" need or line up for these manufacturing in jobs when in reality there should be a higher standard. I suppose it is a little better because it is an electric car plant, but still, these jobs will not be there in the new, global economy. Why is Beshear and his cronies spending time and millions in tax incentives to attract these kinds of companies when they could instead try to home grow new ecomony jobs by giving incentives to say, researchers at WKU or some other high tech company in the region? It is well known that I now consider KY my home and have lived here for some time now, but I do not understand the "we'll take whatever we can get mentality." Great cities and states are not built with that mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 09:04 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,124,206 times
You obviously do not know a lot about the companies I mentioned being located in Bowling Green. Fruit of the Loom has it's headquarters in Bowling Green and always has, it was originally founded in Bowling Green. It was acquired by Warren Buffet (Bershire Hathaway) a few years ago but remains independent and is headquartered out of Bowling Green period. Furthermore, Fruit of the Loom has just purchased Vanity Fair and Russel Sportswear and they are moving many of their operations to Bowling Green. Houchens owns much more than a few grocery stores and is one of the largest privately owned companies in the United States. They own construction companies, groceries, IGAs, Jr. Foods, 220 Save a Lot stores, Food Giants, Piggly Wiggly, insurance companies, financial service companies, and reycyling businesses. I have worked with each of the companies I mentioned in business and know their operations quite well. Bowling Green has many large companies already located here and we are attracting more all of the time. You really make yourself look less than knowledgeable when you state otherwise and only think small businesses are relocating here. Where do you think the growth in Bowling Green is coming from? Small businesses do not bring in that number of people at this rate. Bowling Green may not be your kind of city but that is no reason to misrepresent it.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:18 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,868,920 times
Can you still buy direct from the Fruit of the Loom factory? If so, I could send you some money...lol

Old 08-09-2008, 09:25 PM

200 posts, read 804,484 times
there are a couple of ppl who get on this forum and dog every town in the state lol its kinda sad if i was that down on a place id get out.... Ive always thought of bowling green as being a fairly progressive growing city.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:03 PM

73 posts, read 218,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Can you still buy direct from the Fruit of the Loom factory? If so, I could send you some money...lol
OMG is that an option!? Hubby always needs new undershirts.. (maybe I should quit wearing and staining them!)

Old 08-09-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Unfortunately, most of the actual manufacturing doesn't take place here anymore, but Fruit of the Loom does mill a lot of their own cotton down further south. My husband's grandmother was an inspector at Fruit of the Loom when they did sew here until she was in her seventies and she didn't want to retire then. That was when it was called Union Underwear. The corporate headquarters is in Bowling Green still and a big distribution center where places like Wal Mart load their trucks from.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie40829 View Post
there are a couple of ppl who get on this forum and dog every town in the state lol its kinda sad if i was that down on a place id get out.... Ive always thought of bowling green as being a fairly progressive growing city.
Thanks, I don't even mind varying opinions if they are based on accurate knowledge, but it bothers me when assumptions are made that are not correct and based on limited knowledge. I don't presume to know more about Louisville or Lexington or any other city in Kentucky than those that live and work there and I am sure I would be told about it if I did. Some people think the only two cities in Kentucky worth talking about are Louisville and Lexington. I will get off my soap box now...lol.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:31 AM

11,014 posts, read 17,394,742 times
The Rayloc plant in Morganfield is shutting down. No advanced warning, no press release. Employees were called in for a mandatory meeting and told they were shutting down in October. If you get auto parts from NAPA, they are rebuilt at Rayloc. That's 540 people out of work! The Economic Development people in Union County said [SIZE=2]Union County is on track to land 1,000 new jobs in the coming year. Too bad it has to take that long!
[/SIZE]

Old 08-10-2008, 11:03 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,777,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Sorry, I am not particulary impressed. The WKU campus area is not even as close to as nice, urban, and walkable as it can be. To me, BG, looks like a Nashville suburb like Mufreesboro. Many people LOVE that, but it is not my cup of tea.

Also, who are these large corporate headquarters? There are no Fortune 1000 companies to my knowledge in the city. BG is obviously a nice place, just not within my tastes. My city has to have some grit and urbanism.
How many cities of 50,000 have much grit and urbanism? The only places that size I can think of with "grit" are industrial cities in the upper midwest that are decaying cesspools.

WKU is a much nicer campus than UL IMO. WKU could be more walkable to businesses but it is walkable to downtown BG. Many students live in the neighborhoods between downtown and campus and have the ability to walk to either. Downtown, although small, is charming and it seems the residents in BG are finally starting to see value in renovating and expanding downtown. BG is not exactly my cup of tea (and I'm from there!) but it does have nice attributes and it is very business friendly.

High tech jobs are great, but this country also needs a manufacturing base. If we get to the point that everything is produced overseas, we will be at the mercy of other countries for all of our goods, which to me seems like a pretty precarious situation to be in. Bringing a forward thinking manufacturing company that produces electric cars to the state is a great step IMO.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:20 AM

200 posts, read 804,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Thanks, I don't even mind varying opinions if they are based on accurate knowledge, but it bothers me when assumptions are made that are not correct and based on limited knowledge. I don't presume to know more about Louisville or Lexington or any other city in Kentucky than those that live and work there and I am sure I would be told about it if I did. Some people think the only two cities in Kentucky worth talking about are Louisville and Lexington. I will get off my soap box now...lol.

Kinda what people do to eastern kentucky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky