Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 05:43 PM

631 posts, read 1,879,203 times

Advertisements

[quote=stx12499;4794467]Sorry, I am not particulary impressed. The WKU campus area is not even as close to as nice, urban, and walkable as it can be.
[quote]

WKU has an absolutely beautiful campus. I was accepted to several colleges and toured every campus. None came close to WKU. UK was very pretty but I couldn't wait to get the heck out of UL when I was there. The hill is a little bit of a hindrance at WKU but hey it keeps one in much better shape. I go back to visit every time I come home because WKU is such a part of me and every visit I am impressed with how much effort is put into growing the school into a bigger and better place. Not cool to diss it, you don't want to rile up the alumni
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 07:51 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,003,297 times
[quote=blue_eyedgirl;5035345][quote=stx12499;4794467]Sorry, I am not particulary impressed. The WKU campus area is not even as close to as nice, urban, and walkable as it can be.
Quote:

WKU has an absolutely beautiful campus. I was accepted to several colleges and toured every campus. None came close to WKU. UK was very pretty but I couldn't wait to get the heck out of UL when I was there. The hill is a little bit of a hindrance at WKU but hey it keeps one in much better shape. I go back to visit every time I come home because WKU is such a part of me and every visit I am impressed with how much effort is put into growing the school into a bigger and better place. Not cool to diss it, you don't want to rile up the alumni
I agree, it is beautiful! My daughter went to an orchestra invitational there and it was very nice there!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:20 AM

7,061 posts, read 16,639,438 times
[quote=blue_eyedgirl;5035345][quote=stx12499;4794467]Sorry, I am not particulary impressed. The WKU campus area is not even as close to as nice, urban, and walkable as it can be.
Quote:

Ok, let me straighten out things. Do I find the WKU campus nice and pretty? Definitely! It seems lik a nice place to go to school. But the integration with the town and urban environment is very lacking. There is not enough walkability yet to make it a truly great "college town." If you want examples of those nearby, check out a place like Bloomington, IN. It is what BG should strive to be.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:23 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,536,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Ok, let me straighten out things. Do I find the WKU campus nice and pretty? Definitely! It seems lik a nice place to go to school. But the integration with the town and urban environment is very lacking. There is not enough walkability yet to make it a truly great "college town." If you want examples of those nearby, check out a place like Bloomington, IN. It is what BG should strive to be.
Nah, Bowling Green and WKU should strive to be its ownself, not like some other town or some other university.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:04 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,122,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Nah, Bowling Green and WKU should strive to be its ownself, not like some other town or some other university.

Thank you London and I wholehearedly agree. WKU is unique and those of us that attended college there and now have children going there are proud of our university and what it adds to our town just like it is.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 8,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
You obviously do not know a lot about the companies I mentioned being located in Bowling Green. Fruit of the Loom has it's headquarters in Bowling Green and always has, it was originally founded in Bowling Green.
I was doing a Google search on a nearly unrelated topic and it gave me this thread as a result because of one of my keywords, but I read the thread anyway and I like your response and agree with it --- except I had to correct one thing.

Fruit of the Loom was not founded in Bowling Green. Fruit of the Loom started as a fabric brand on the east coast in the mid-1800's. In the 1920's Jacob Goldfarb of the Union Underwear Company in Indianapolis acquired the exclusive license to market the Fruit of the Loom name for his underwear (this is where the Fruit of the Loom we know today truly began). Union's first company-owned factories were in Bowling Green and Campellsville, Kentucky. Union Underwear went through several owners in the 50's, 60's and 70's and in 1980 the corporate headquarters were moved to Bowling Green.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonLillyWellpoint View Post
I was doing a Google search on a nearly unrelated topic and it gave me this thread as a result because of one of my keywords, but I read the thread anyway and I like your response and agree with it --- except I had to correct one thing.

Fruit of the Loom was not founded in Bowling Green. Fruit of the Loom started as a fabric brand on the east coast in the mid-1800's. In the 1920's Jacob Goldfarb of the Union Underwear Company in Indianapolis acquired the exclusive license to market the Fruit of the Loom name for his underwear (this is where the Fruit of the Loom we know today truly began). Union's first company-owned factories were in Bowling Green and Campellsville, Kentucky. Union Underwear went through several owners in the 50's, 60's and 70's and in 1980 the corporate headquarters were moved to Bowling Green.

The Union Underwear company was founded originally in Bowling Green and did not become Fruit of the Loom by trade name until 1985 when the then CEO of Union Underwear bought the company and changed the name to Fruit of the Loom. Therefore, while Fruit of the Loom might not have been founded originally in Bowling Green, the originally company that is Fruit of the Loom...Union Underwear was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_of_the_Loom

Old 04-12-2009, 11:35 AM

508 posts, read 1,504,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The most likely site is near Bowling Green, Bullitt Co is still in the running. A Clark Co, Indiana site is also in the mix

Beshear clears roads for electric car plant - State - Kentucky.com (broken link)
Kentucky hopes to lure California company's electric car manufacturing - Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal:
McClatchy Washington Bureau | 08/06/2008 | Electric car plant hoped for in Kentucky
Not bad I guess. I still wish the gov't would look for more sustainable opportunities for the state - ones that are very difficult to replace.

I really can't believe KY isn't a cutting edge place for equine science. Might not be a huge industry but it is one where KY could be competitive which I think is key to evaluating these types of pursuits.

Horse capital of the world, as we say, but we send our vet science students to Auburn Why in the world would KY not offer a top notch science, research and equine vet program?

Manufacturing can be an easy come, easy go opportunitiy.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:55 AM

5 posts, read 8,937 times
dixiegirl7,

Your reference makes no mention to back-up your claim. In fact, it completely ignores, and make no mention of, Fruit of the Loom history between 1871 and 1985. And even if it did, it's Wikipedia for crying out loud. Not exactly a reliable source. If I had made a nickel for every mistake I found posted by some idiot on Wikipedia I'd be typing this from my mansion on my private island in the South Pacific. (But my disdain for Wikipedia and the many errors contained within it are the subject of another thread entirely)

Here are a few more reliable sources that do have complete histories of the company:

Fruit of the Loom / Historical Timeline

Fruit of the Loom 339397

Welcome to Budget T-Shirt Co.

The History of the T-Shirt and Its Imprintable Beginnings (http://www.corporatelogo.com/articles/apparel/615_851feat2.html - broken link)

Industry in Warren County Kentucky (http://www.wku.edu/Library/onlinexh/rrr1/Pages/Mainpages/industry.html - broken link)

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/2001ar/2001ar.pdf

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk and pee in your Wheaties. I am just a man addicted to accuracy. I realize that you absolutely LOVE Bowling Green - as well you should, it's a fine city - but it wasn't the birthplace of Fruit of the Loom, or Union Underwear for that matter. I hope you can see this reply for what it is - simply someone providing information and halting the spread of misinformation.

Look at this way. It's far better for Fruit of the Loom to be born elsewhere and then move to Bowling Green in 1980 (the same year that construction began on the Bowling Green Corvette plant by the way), than it would be for Fruit of the Loom to have been born in Bowling Green and then moved away in 1980.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonLillyWellpoint View Post
dixiegirl7,

Your reference makes no mention to back-up your claim. In fact, it completely ignores, and make no mention of, Fruit of the Loom history between 1871 and 1985. And even if it did, it's Wikipedia for crying out loud. Not exactly a reliable source. If I had made a nickel for every mistake I found posted by some idiot on Wikipedia I'd be typing this from my mansion on my private island in the South Pacific. (But my disdain for Wikipedia and the many errors contained within it are the subject of another thread entirely)

Here are a few more reliable sources that do have complete histories of the company:

Fruit of the Loom / Historical Timeline

Fruit of the Loom 339397

Welcome to Budget T-Shirt Co.

The History of the T-Shirt and Its Imprintable Beginnings (http://www.corporatelogo.com/articles/apparel/615_851feat2.html - broken link)

Industry in Warren County Kentucky (http://www.wku.edu/Library/onlinexh/rrr1/Pages/Mainpages/industry.html - broken link)

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/2001ar/2001ar.pdf

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk and pee in your Wheaties. I am just a man addicted to accuracy. I realize that you absolutely LOVE Bowling Green - as well you should, it's a fine city - but it wasn't the birthplace of Fruit of the Loom, or Union Underwear for that matter. I hope you can see this reply for what it is - simply someone providing information and halting the spread of misinformation.

Look at this way. It's far better for Fruit of the Loom to be born elsewhere and then move to Bowling Green in 1980 (the same year that construction began on the Bowling Green Corvette plant by the way), than it would be for Fruit of the Loom to have been born in Bowling Green and then moved away in 1980.

I did not say that Fruit of the Loom was started in Bowling Green in 1980, but that Union Underwear bought the brand in the 80's which they did. I said that Union Underwear was originated in Bowling Green and it was. They had offices and facilites elsewhere then, but I knew the family that started it and have had generations of family members on mine and my husband's sides that worked for the company.

If you are being accurate, read what was said. Union Underwear had nothing to do with Fruit of the Loom until the 80'.s It was actually referred to as the Derby here in Bowling Green. Much of what has been written is historically not really accurate and I only referenced Wiki because it did show when Union Underwear bought the Fruit brand name. Now they are one and the same, but still technically go by Union Underwear Company. I have extensive history with this company and have no reason to misrepresent this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky