Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,131,218 times

Advertisements

I've never lived any place where so many grown adults have such difficulty with 4th grade english. Not understanding when to use "your" or "you're", "their", "there", and "they"re". Not knowing the difference between "break" and "brake". Recently, a co-worker asked me how to spell "mine", others have asked how to spell "clutch". Many don't know that "was" is singular, while "were" is plural.
At another job a co-worker proudly told me that he can trace his family tree all the way back to Adam.
Shortly after the election I was asked if my vote went for Obama. I answered yes. This co-worker snatched up a magazine, the cover picturing the President's wife and held it in my face. With subdued rage he shouted, "Look at those eyes, those are the eyes of Satan!"
Living in Louisville is a bit better but there are still many "good, ole country boys" around. Gotta look for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 08:01 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,406,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I've never lived any place where so many grown adults have such difficulty with 4th grade english. Not understanding when to use "your" or "you're", "their", "there", and "they"re". Not knowing the difference between "break" and "brake". Recently, a co-worker asked me how to spell "mine", others have asked how to spell "clutch". Many don't know that "was" is singular, while "were" is plural.
At another job a co-worker proudly told me that he can trace his family tree all the way back to Adam.
Shortly after the election I was asked if my vote went for Obama. I answered yes. This co-worker snatched up a magazine, the cover picturing the President's wife and held it in my face. With subdued rage he shouted, "Look at those eyes, those are the eyes of Satan!"
Living in Louisville is a bit better but there are still many "good, ole country boys" around. Gotta look for them.
I can find those that do not have a proper grasp of spelling and grammar in any city or state in the USA, not just rural Kentucky.

Equally you can find wacko's in any city or county in America, those that think the end is near, that aliens live among us and yes even in cities you'll find people that think that can trace their heritage back to Adam and Eve.

I don't think Michelle Obama is Satan, but I do think she is a vile women full of hate and her husband well, I have no use for him either ... but that's another topic for a different thread.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:05 PM

90 posts, read 393,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
I can find those that do not have a proper grasp of spelling and grammar in any city or state in the USA, not just rural Kentucky.

Equally you can find wacko's in any city or county in America, those that think the end is near, that aliens live among us and yes even in cities you'll find people that think that can trace their heritage back to Adam and Eve.

I don't think Michelle Obama is Satan, but I do think she is a vile women full of hate and her husband well, I have no use for him either ... but that's another topic for a different thread.
I think visvaldis works with my relatives. You sound like one of my kin too, Davart. They are starting to scare me.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawog View Post
I think visvaldis works with my relatives. You sound like one of my kin too, Davart. They are starting to scare me.
Is that an insult? Sort of sounds like one.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,131,218 times
Quote:

I agree about the problems with english, which are not unique to Kentucky, but a widespread American problem. However, I have encountered more here than anywhere else. Maybe it's just my luck.
Yes, the politics is for another thread.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Is that an insult? Sort of sounds like one.
Guess that was, sorry, you got my knickers in a knot. I still have nightmares of right wingers speaking about evil, Mulims and hate at the Palin rallies in my town.

Last edited by nawog; 02-17-2009 at 08:49 PM..

Old 02-17-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawog View Post
Guess that was, sorry, you got my knickers in a knot. I still have nightmares of right wingers speaking about evil, Mulims and hate at the Palin rallies in my town.
As stated that's the topic for another thread, I do not recall ever saying, implying or suggesting he is, was or ever has been a Muslim.

If he is (which I don't think he is nor care) and that was his biggest flaw, I'd be thrilled.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I agree about the problems with english, which are not unique to Kentucky, but a widespread American problem. However, I have encountered more here than anywhere else. Maybe it's just my luck.
Yes, the politics is for another thread.
No offense then you need to get out of the state more. I've seen in equal quantities nationwide.

So yes, you've been lucky, granted it's widespread but not localized.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Can I ask the type of environment in which you work?

I have a cousin who can't spell and uses grammatically incorrect terms; I thought it was a disability. He was a bank vice-president in KY and his wife, secretary and spell check helped cover his problem. He used a lot of abbreviations--texting before it was popular.

To be perfectly honest, I find my family members who have traveled out-of-state and obtained a college education are a lot less judgmental, more liberal and can spell (most are teachers). Unfortunately, they comprise only a handful. I have a huge family, 100s of cousins; a few have 2 yrs of college but most work at factories. I am hoping the internet and cable TV will help broaden their horizons. Most live in the rural areas south of Louisville.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:08 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,749,776 times
Quote:
You put it pretty well, dude (or ma'am, I want to be gender correct here.) Having countless 40-year-olds with terrible verbal and/or written grammar, as well as no sentence structure, is hilarious and just saddening at the same time. (I work with such individuals on a regular basis, trust me.)

By the way, I voted for McCain and while I'm not anti-Obama, I'm for all intents and purposes against everything he stands for. But is he the anti-Christ? I think far from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky