Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:38 AM

190 posts, read 812,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jse View Post
I'm a Ky. native and been living in the desert southwest for 30 yrs. which I love for its sky, space, pastels, lack of humidity, outdoor emphasis,culture, and weather. A UK grad 2xs, I've been thinking of returning. Spent a few days in late October there in the drizzle and oldness. I barely escaped with my sanity. Lexington is clicky, pretentious, boring, unfashionable, and overall stifling in a physical sense. My thoughts of a return were disspelled. I have wonderful, beloved friends who live there and praise Lexington. I look at its innate dreariness and can't fathom why they do. I'd be pondering writing a last will and testament if I had to reside there again.
I'm sorry you feel that way! Sounds like to me, though, you are judging a state on a few days of rain......Anyone that is familiar with Ky knows we get and appreciate rain, or how else would we have the beautiful springs with flowers and flowering trees everywhere? If not for a few "rainy days" in the fall, how would we have the amazing fall foilage we have, with reds, golds, yellows and oranges, splashed with a few evergreens? We grow a garden every year, which relies on these rains to help it grow. I don't curse the rain when I am picking big red tomatos, loads of green beans, and plucking ears of silver queen corn that is so sweet and tender, you can literally eat it off the ear, raw. The rain gives us "bluegrass", not "browngrass" that we would have without it.
Lexington may not be Chicago, or any other HUGE city, but yes it has plenty of culture, is not "boring", or pretentious. My bunch has found so many things to do there-from concerts to vineyard tours, live theater to historic walking tours, antique-ing to museums. If you really wanted to find something to do, it is pretty easy. I can see why your friends enjoy Lex, they have learned that this area is a mix of small town and big city, with a plethora of opportunities between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 06:17 AM

458 posts, read 2,290,214 times
Default Gardening question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kichenwich View Post
I'm sorry you feel that way! Sounds like to me, though, you are judging a state on a few days of rain......Anyone that is familiar with Ky knows we get and appreciate rain, or how else would we have the beautiful springs with flowers and flowering trees everywhere? If not for a few "rainy days" in the fall, how would we have the amazing fall foilage we have, with reds, golds, yellows and oranges, splashed with a few evergreens? We grow a garden every year, which relies on these rains to help it grow. I don't curse the rain when I am picking big red tomatos, loads of green beans, and plucking ears of silver queen corn that is so sweet and tender, you can literally eat it off the ear, raw. The rain gives us "bluegrass", not "browngrass" that we would have without it.
Kichenwich--
Your garden sounds great! Tell me about the soil for gardeners. I have heard 2 conflicting things. First that it is amazing soil which is why the bluegrass, tobacco and other crops grow well. Then I heard that it was hard clay and difficult to deal with. Which is true?

Old 03-20-2007, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,198 times
Red face Clueles about threads?

I wanted to post my own question but, couldn't figure out how. I want to relocate to Kentucky by the end of next month. I'm interested in the Nicholasville area or somewhere on the outskirts of Lexington. My fiance is hoping to work in Lexington - carpentry and remodeling - we've been told construction is good in the area - is this true? My daughter is 13 and very active in soccer - I hope to get her on another travel team - she played for one in NC for 4 years and they won many tournaments including the States.

I've been doing alot of research on the schools and looking into apartments - I have a med. size dog and a cat. I would ideally like to rent a house because my dog is used to being in the yard throughout the day - we currently rent a double-wide now in N.C. I've had 13 years of the beach and tourism and I'm not a sun lover - it's time for a change. Any thoughts about Nicholasville and finding a reasonable place to rent? Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you Linda

Old 03-21-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
Kichenwich--
Your garden sounds great! Tell me about the soil for gardeners. I have heard 2 conflicting things. First that it is amazing soil which is why the bluegrass, tobacco and other crops grow well. Then I heard that it was hard clay and difficult to deal with. Which is true?
G' Morning Micah Girl! I know this sounds strange, but this area is well known for two types of soil-rich or clay. The clay soil tends to be located in the flat lands, and the richest towards the rolling hills (hence why the farms around are usually planted on a hillside!) Not 3 miles from my house the land has so much clay that Bybee Pottery scrapes the top layer to make their pottery! My little acre actually has both types, so I have my garden on one side of my yard, and plants that need little nutrients on the other, such as Forsythia, flowering almond, lilacs, and maples. Clay soil can be very aggrevating, as it is very hard to get anything to grow due to the nutrients and abundant moisture. will tell you this, though. In my front yard, we dug out a 15 x 20 Koi pond, planted a weeping willow to the left, corkscrew willow to the right, and a redbud at the end, which are now all over 25 feet tall. We are building a little arching bridge this summer, and starting waterlillies. Because there is alot of clay there, the pond holds water and has never gone dry!
I have also had pretty good luck with fruit trees, and planted a little orchard in the back left corner when we first bought this land 10 years ago. The apple trees haven't grown as fast or had as much fruit as the others, but the peach and pear trees thrive in the soil/clay mixture. Our black plum tree was so loaded down that many of the branches snapped of during a windstorm last fall. The cherry trees have grown considerably, and have budded this year.
I would suggest that everyone who is considering purchasing a peice of land to contact the local AG department who can tell exactly what the soil composition is. They can also tell you exactly what you can add to the soil to help, tips for the "pests" and so much more. They are a wealth of information, and should be consulted continually thru the "growing season"!
Thanks for giving me a chance to brag about my "God's Little Acre"!

Old 03-21-2007, 04:31 AM

Default How to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitt26 View Post
I wanted to post my own question but, couldn't figure out how. I want to relocate to Kentucky by the end of next month. I'm interested in the Nicholasville area or somewhere on the outskirts of Lexington. My fiance is hoping to work in Lexington - carpentry and remodeling - we've been told construction is good in the area - is this true? My daughter is 13 and very active in soccer - I hope to get her on another travel team - she played for one in NC for 4 years and they won many tournaments including the States.

I've been doing alot of research on the schools and looking into apartments - I have a med. size dog and a cat. I would ideally like to rent a house because my dog is used to being in the yard throughout the day - we currently rent a double-wide now in N.C. I've had 13 years of the beach and tourism and I'm not a sun lover - it's time for a change. Any thoughts about Nicholasville and finding a reasonable place to rent? Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you Linda
G' Morning! To post a new thread, go to the main page, where you can see all the threads posted for KY. At the top on your right is a button that says "Post New Thread". This will allow you to pick the title, and write what you need!

About construction in Lex, it has always been a strong market, but has dropped some, as has almost all construction nationwide. You can search the city-data site for the surrounding towns to find what you need. Check out Harrodsburg, Wilmore, Nicholasville, Richmond, which are all a short drive from Lex. You may also find what you need right in Lex, in the suburbs that skirt the town. Also check out the Lexington Herald Leader for job listings/houses. Hope this helps! ~joanna~

Old 03-21-2007, 05:26 AM

458 posts, read 2,290,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kichenwich View Post
G' Morning Micah Girl! I know this sounds strange, but this area is well known for two types of soil-rich or clay. The clay soil tends to be located in the flat lands, and the richest towards the rolling hills (hence why the farms around are usually planted on a hillside!) Not 3 miles from my house the land has so much clay that Bybee Pottery scrapes the top layer to make their pottery! My little acre actually has both types, so I have my garden on one side of my yard, and plants that need little nutrients on the other, such as Forsythia, flowering almond, lilacs, and maples. Clay soil can be very aggrevating, as it is very hard to get anything to grow due to the nutrients and abundant moisture. will tell you this, though. In my front yard, we dug out a 15 x 20 Koi pond, planted a weeping willow to the left, corkscrew willow to the right, and a redbud at the end, which are now all over 25 feet tall. We are building a little arching bridge this summer, and starting waterlillies. Because there is alot of clay there, the pond holds water and has never gone dry!
I have also had pretty good luck with fruit trees, and planted a little orchard in the back left corner when we first bought this land 10 years ago. The apple trees haven't grown as fast or had as much fruit as the others, but the peach and pear trees thrive in the soil/clay mixture. Our black plum tree was so loaded down that many of the branches snapped of during a windstorm last fall. The cherry trees have grown considerably, and have budded this year.
I would suggest that everyone who is considering purchasing a peice of land to contact the local AG department who can tell exactly what the soil composition is. They can also tell you exactly what you can add to the soil to help, tips for the "pests" and so much more. They are a wealth of information, and should be consulted continually thru the "growing season"!
Thanks for giving me a chance to brag about my "God's Little Acre"!
Oooh, sounds like a beautiful yard and garden! Thanks for the insights.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:35 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,056 times
Quote:
I'm a Ky. native and been living in the desert southwest for 30 yrs. which I love for its sky, space, pastels, lack of humidity, outdoor emphasis,culture, and weather. A UK grad 2xs, I've been thinking of returning. Spent a few days in late October there in the drizzle and oldness. I barely escaped with my sanity. Lexington is clicky, pretentious, boring, unfashionable, and overall stifling in a physical sense. My thoughts of a return were disspelled. I have wonderful, beloved friends who live there and praise Lexington. I look at its innate dreariness and can't fathom why they do. I'd be pondering writing a last will and testament if I had to reside there again.
I don't find Lexington to be any of the things you mentioned (except we did have an unusual amount of rain this fall)...but it's good you live somewhere else then, and have found an area you like.
The rest of us are happy here .

Old 03-22-2007, 11:38 AM
jse

10 posts, read 30,223 times
Default Rain and things

I was heartened by the defense Kichenwich gave Lexington. Do the ornamental apples still bloom in May on Rose Lane? Do the filets at Columbia's still swim in au jus? Are the roads off Paris Pike still among the loneliest, beautiful drives in the world? Rain can not scare a Ky. country boy. I, too, have tasted Big Boys, snapped green beans, and long since learned that the only squash that counts is yellow. I am looking for a reason to come home that will convince me to give up my desert paradise. Many of my issues center around the rigors of graduate work thirty-odd years ago and around the failure to find my love affair with sunshine able to overcome those rigors in Lexington. I get it and applaud your loyalty! The rest may be an interior rain where clouds lift in the most unexpected ways. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I was heartened by the defense Kichenwich gave Lexington. Do the ornamental apples still bloom in May on Rose Lane? Do the filets at Columbia's still swim in au jus? Are the roads off Paris Pike still among the loneliest, beautiful drives in the world? Rain can not scare a Ky. country boy. I, too, have tasted Big Boys, snapped green beans, and long since learned that the only squash that counts is yellow. I am looking for a reason to come home that will convince me to give up my desert paradise. Many of my issues center around the rigors of graduate work thirty-odd years ago and around the failure to find my love affair with sunshine able to overcome those rigors in Lexington. I get it and applaud your loyalty! The rest may be an interior rain where clouds lift in the most unexpected ways. Thanks.
jse, you write beautifully! I've come to learn that even our own hometowns hold some bad memories-which can really get you down. I guess we all have to learn to take the rain with the sun, and make the best of it.
Hopefully my "rant" made you homesick enough to give it just one more chance. If Lexington is really not your cup of tea, try some of the surrounding towns, such as Richmond, Berea, Nicholasville, etc. I am sure you being a "native" know these areas.

And, yes, the crab apples still bloom abundently, as well as the pears. Paris Pike has been built up somewhat, but is still a wonderful drive. I also suggest driving Athens Road into Boonesboro, if you want a splash of country (hand-hewn rock walls, flowers, cliffs, green pastures, and end up at the KY river).

All the best ~joanna~

Old 03-23-2007, 09:23 AM

6 posts, read 21,401 times
all this talk about the scenery and the colours and sights are making wantto come down tonight..but is the best areas to live is or are lexington and even richmond or georgetown.. i seen some of the houses and apts there and seem like the best deals there but im still torn between then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky