Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:56 PM

11,014 posts, read 17,385,947 times

Advertisements

Western Kentucky, by the lakes. Maybe Paducah area. But you could be looking for something like rpb mentioned, too. When you said hunting and walking, I thought of the Land Between the Lakes (lbl.org). Somewhere around 170,000 acres of federal recreation area. No homes or businesses are allowed in here. They have a wrangler's camp in the southern part. From what I hear that place gets fairly busy on weekends. There's about 200 miles of walking trails here. But outside the LBL I see signs of trail rides and 4 wheeler rides to benefit different organizations. How about it, kentuckydad? Aren't there places where you can have a drink with your meal there in Murray now? Here in Trigg County you have to go to Christian County for alcohol. Well, legally anyway! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,120,582 times
I think southcentral Kentucky would work also. Plenty of rural areas right ouside of Bowling Green which is wet so you can drink here.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:26 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,866,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Western Kentucky, by the lakes. Maybe Paducah area. But you could be looking for something like rpb mentioned, too. When you said hunting and walking, I thought of the Land Between the Lakes (lbl.org). Somewhere around 170,000 acres of federal recreation area. No homes or businesses are allowed in here. They have a wrangler's camp in the southern part. From what I hear that place gets fairly busy on weekends. There's about 200 miles of walking trails here. But outside the LBL I see signs of trail rides and 4 wheeler rides to benefit different organizations. How about it, kentuckydad? Aren't there places where you can have a drink with your meal there in Murray now? Here in Trigg County you have to go to Christian County for alcohol. Well, legally anyway! lol
There are plenty of bars in Murray, but they are all in restaurants. A half dozen or so have live music, so they are more like real bars, but with better food. You can't buy a six pack, but I have a feeling that will change soon.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:28 AM

10 posts, read 17,472 times
That will work, what is the largest type of employment out there? What is the type of fun you all have out there? And how much snow do you have around the Holidays?

Old 09-11-2008, 06:49 PM

There's the little bit of a hang up around Cadiz right now. One of the major employers is shutting down, putting over 500 people out of work. There are some smaller factories around town, but you may have to check around Hopkinsville also. You said you like to take walks and hunt. Plenty of hunting in the area. If you check out the site I gave you for the LBL, go to recreation, then hunting. Gives you an overview, plus rules and regs of hunting there. With Kentucky Lake covering 160,000 acres and Lake Barkley covering 58,000 acres (wikipedia), There's plenty of fishing and boating. We do get some snow but not what you're used to in NY. I used to work for the highway dept. for the state of Ky. and didn't even like the thought of a white Christmas because I would have to go to work on Christmas. I'm retired now and hope it snows 3 feet! lol

Old 09-18-2008, 12:27 PM

Do you actually like it there, as far as the weather and people? Our economy for right now does not look that good, but it should pick up alittle I hope by the end of 2009.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:46 PM

I've lived around this part of the state all my life. Never seen any need to move anywhere else. Plenty of friendly people. You'll find some that won't fit in that category but you'll find them anywhere. Not unusual to be driving down the road and the driver of the car in the other lane will wave to you. Doesn't know who you are and doesn't care. As an old friend said his dad used to tell him about waving at people...it don't cost a damn dime to wave! lol Remember the factory I told you was shutting down? According to this week's local newspaper, (Cadiz Record ) the Trigg County Economic Development Commission learned that a business is looking for something the size of the Johnson Control building. The Commission has sent them the basic information. Keeping info of the business quiet for now, of course, but said that it could bring 240 jobs!
As far as weather, there is an old saying. If you don't like the weather we have today, stick around a few hours. It will change! lol Been trying to locate a site that shows how our weather is here. Any helpers out there? lol You have one of those charts, census?

Old 12-18-2008, 08:39 AM

Boy, the snow is very different around here. It is just like the snow doesn't belong in California.........lol. DJ (our horse) is covered by snow and mud, I know he can handle it with no problem but I worry about him sometimes. I just can't wait til we can give him a pasture to run. Kentucky sounds like the place for us to settle down.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:32 AM

Come on east! lol Be glad to have you!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:24 AM

406 posts, read 860,556 times
I would suggest Somerset, Glasgow, London, Danville and Shelbyville as some ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky