Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 06:47 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times

Advertisements

Percentages have nothing to do with how many of something there is. Maybe I am wrong though...what the hell do I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 07:04 AM

47 posts, read 138,131 times
I'm just catching up on this thread after a few days away. I've never actually lived in either town but have visited both regularly over the years so you may take my impressions with a grain of salt if you like!

Parts of Lexington, esp. the horsey areas (the farms and Keeneland) are really picturesque but Lexington's traffic is bad and it has the feel of an over-grown college town. That said, I always enjoy going there.

Louisville has a more traditional city feel with better traffic flow (although like all cities there is congestion in some places at some times of the day). I have friends and family who have lived in the east end (near Shelbyville Road/Brownsboro Road corridors) and this would be a nice area to live in, very safe.

Have fun...and good luck to you!

Old 09-17-2008, 04:44 PM

90 posts, read 319,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llgator View Post
I'm just catching up on this thread after a few days away. I've never actually lived in either town but have visited both regularly over the years so you may take my impressions with a grain of salt if you like!

Parts of Lexington, esp. the horsey areas (the farms and Keeneland) are really picturesque but Lexington's traffic is bad and it has the feel of an over-grown college town. That said, I always enjoy going there.

Louisville has a more traditional city feel with better traffic flow (although like all cities there is congestion in some places at some times of the day). I have friends and family who have lived in the east end (near Shelbyville Road/Brownsboro Road corridors) and this would be a nice area to live in, very safe.

Have fun...and good luck to you!
llgator,

So would you say that Louisville would be more "family-friendly" due to the fact that Lexington is a bit more of a college town?

Up to this point we had the assumption that Lexington had less crime and met most of our criteria. We are looking for a slower pace than exists here in Tampa, Florida. However, not so slow that there is no opportunity (for work or fun) either. Does Lexington fit this bill or is Louisville the way to go here?

Old 09-17-2008, 05:03 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
nonono, Lexington isn't a party-town, it's just that the University is one of the major employers, and there isn't much of an industrial base (Louisville has WAY more factories and the like), so that is why we always talk about it as if the University is the main thing going on.

It's very, very, very family-friendly.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
nonono, Lexington isn't a party-town, it's just that the University is one of the major employers, and there isn't much of an industrial base (Louisville has WAY more factories and the like), so that is why we always talk about it as if the University is the main thing going on.

It's very, very, very family-friendly.
Thanks for clearing that up timelesschild! I figured as much but I couldn't be too sure because we haven't come up to visit yet and I've spent some time in a major college town (University of Florida in Gainesville) and I had the time of my life, but I'm a bit older now and I've got the kiddies so my view of life is different now to say the least. My Wife and I are hoping Lexington fits us well and vice-versa. From what we've heard, we think it will!

BTW, we will probably be coming up in late October/ early November. My Wife really wants to experience a Kentucky Fall. Will we need jackets?

Old 09-17-2008, 06:50 PM

891 posts, read 3,053,636 times
Jackets, yes. Try to come before Keeneland ends its fall season. Believe it or not it is a great family experience. The kids love seeing the horses up close (in the paddock).
The Explorium is also great fun. And I would take in the Arboretum and Ravens Run if you have time. Joseph Beth Booksellers is another great family place. They have story tellers several times a week (google their site and check the schedule).
We have a ten year old and although my husband and I both went to UK (and still take in the sports) it doesn't figure into our day to day life. There are a lot of family friendly things to do here.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:51 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
The areas in Lexington along Harrdsburg Rd, Nicholasville Rd, and Tates Creek Road are very "collegie" btw Downtown and New Circle Road, but areas along Man O War are very suburban and quiet.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:43 PM

Lexingtongal,

Thanks for all the great information. Our kids definitely want to see horses. They've heard that Kentucky is chock full of horses so naturally they can't wait to go. I'll look up some info on the Explorium, Arboretum, and Raven's Run. We love to read and we've brought up our children with a love of reading as well. Joseph Beth Booksellers sounds really good, thanks!!!

censusdata,

I've heard that the area around "Man O War" is good, but if you or someone else familiar with the overall Lexington area could give me the names or zip codes of some other nice area's that are family friendly where we might find a good, safe apartment complex We'd greatly appreciate it! We just want to have some solid options to head straight for when we come up.

Big Thanks!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:19 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
You can't go wrong in zip code 40503. That is uniformly safe. There are many, many pricepoints and options in that zip.

Here is a really good place in a really good area: Rabbit Run in KENTUCKY - Apartments for rent | ApartmentFinder.com.

And these are inexpensive, but will send your kids to THE best public schools in Lexington: Lexington,KY apartment community details and pictures Richmond Commons Townhomes.

Here is a link to the Kentucky Horse Park, if your children love horses. Enjoy!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
You can't go wrong in zip code 40503. That is uniformly safe. There are many, many pricepoints and options in that zip.

Here is a really good place in a really good area: Rabbit Run in KENTUCKY - Apartments for rent | ApartmentFinder.com.

And these are inexpensive, but will send your kids to THE best public schools in Lexington: Lexington,KY apartment community details and pictures Richmond Commons Townhomes.

Here is a link to the Kentucky Horse Park, if your children love horses. Enjoy!
I can't thank you enough timelesschild!

Are there any other pretty good zip codes that are comparable to this one (40503)?

Last edited by CivilLibertarian; 09-17-2008 at 10:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky