Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 PM

69 posts, read 321,575 times

Advertisements

Stay there if you can!!! There is nothing to do here! Yes, your friends can come down for the Kentucky Derby (which they start talking about in January...i.e. nothing better to do), yes you can visit the Louisville Slugger museum, but besides that......you can drive up for more in Cincinnati or Indianapolis! Oh, and the people here love to talk about where they went to high school too.....HELLO....get a life! People will wear U of L and UK attire even if they did not go to school there (or anyone in their family....i.e. there's no other sports here!!) Lastly, the education system here does not even COMPARE to up north! Stay and enjoy Chicago, a much more culturally diverse. WHY would you want to live here?????

Last edited by kimmieyky; 03-06-2007 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: insulting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 12:18 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,115 times
Lexington is much easier to navigate than Louisville and much safer (recently voted one of the top 65 cities in the world to live). Rated much higher than Louisville in safety. Just voted one of the top 10 cities for gays to live in. (a lot of diversity due to the university). I find that people that say it is a college town just aren't familiar with all Lexington has to offer. visitlex.com and lexarts.org are good places to look to get a feel. Lexington has a wonderful downtown and it is undergoing a major revitilization. Lots of lofts, great restaurants, and art galleries.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:34 PM

17 posts, read 64,408 times
Hopkinsville is often referred to as "Little Chicago."

Old 01-23-2009, 05:32 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
Only because of the corruption, crime and the high number of dependent people.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:28 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
I grew up in Chicago and am now in Lexington. The one thing I miss as a Chicago native is the food. You can't get anything like Chicago food here in Lexington. Luckily my wife from Louisville told me about several places that have Vienna beef and I cant attest taste just like Chicago Hot dogs, Italian beef and such. I have yet to find a deep dish place that can stay on the same level as some of the one like Giordano's, Gino's or Lou's which ever you prefer.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:08 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
I am sure it is hard when you find things you are used to somewhere new, but isn't that what's nice about somewhere being new? You get to try all new things!

Old 01-24-2009, 10:29 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
LOL!!!! That is hilarious.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:01 PM

63 posts, read 313,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
I am seriously thinking about relocating to either Lexington or Louisville Kentucky, but can anyone tell me if either of those cities are in any way similar to Chicago (big city feeling)? I might have a job prospect or two and would just like to feel more at home if I do move (if possible). I assume that the weather is milder than Chicago (less snow) but please tell me if I'm wrong about that!
Thanks!

-itchick
My first job out of law school was in Chicago. I lived there for three years before returning to my native Kentucky (Elizabethtown). Although my impressions are "old" in that it has been years since I lived there, I thought that Chicago and Louisville were similar feeling, except obviously for the size factor, of the cities. By "feeling" I meant the atmosphere and attitudes of the people I met and worked with. The people of Chicago were, to me, very similar to folks in Louisville, and I had a genuine comfort level living in Chicago that I never expected prior to moving there. Things may have changed since then, but IMHO there is a reasonable expectation that Louisville might feel "comfortable" to someone moving from Chicago.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:02 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxdreamer View Post
My first job out of law school was in Chicago. I lived there for three years before returning to my native Kentucky (Elizabethtown). Although my impressions are "old" in that it has been years since I lived there, I thought that Chicago and Louisville were similar feeling, except obviously for the size factor, of the cities. By "feeling" I meant the atmosphere and attitudes of the people I met and worked with. The people of Chicago were, to me, very similar to folks in Louisville, and I had a genuine comfort level living in Chicago that I never expected prior to moving there. Things may have changed since then, but IMHO there is a reasonable expectation that Louisville might feel "comfortable" to someone moving from Chicago.
This Chicago native in Louisville agrees.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:22 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
I just saw this now. I come into the KY forum every so often. I cant believe this question was even asked. I have never seen any town in Kentucky that is even in a remote way similar to Chicago at all. I am not saying it is good or is it bad. It is just how it is. Every area has its ways. If I wanted to live in a place like Chicago I would live in Chicago. If I wanted to live in a place like Lexington or Louisville I would live in either of those. These type of questions befuddle me.

Don't get me wrong,I like Kentucky and have lived and spent a lot of time there over the years.

As someone said in a previous post comparing Chicago to Lexington or Louisville is like comparing an apple to oranges.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-27-2009 at 12:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky