Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 04:13 PM

117 posts, read 518,244 times

Advertisements

If you want to know specifically about Hustonville, North of there along 127 is actually fairly suburban with alot of new subdivisions and even a small shopping center.

The most rural areas are either along KY 78 East or West of H'ville, or south along 127 towards Casey County. I would say land will run from $1500 to $2500 an acre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 09:14 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Aspie View Post
If you want to know specifically about Hustonville, North of there along 127 is actually fairly suburban with alot of new subdivisions and even a small shopping center.

The most rural areas are either along KY 78 East or West of H'ville, or south along 127 towards Casey County. I would say land will run from $1500 to $2500 an acre

Oh!!! We're definatly done with city and suburban. I'll get the Road Atlas out and start checking on cities along those 2 hwy's!

Old 06-16-2007, 10:18 PM

180 posts, read 748,567 times
Default Wow! What great info on different areas in KY!

Hello all ....we too are looking at moving to Kentucky. We will be bringing are livestock, LGD and house dog, 2 cats.... we're selling the furniture, dishes and everything else!

My husband was in Louisville at the National Alpaca show recently, and spent an extra 5 days looking around. We're going to fly back there again in late July to 'find the perfect farm' (40 acres or more)!! We're SOOoooo excited!!

I am an accountant, and need to be within 30 minutes commute of a town for part time work at least; for land, we need rolling (not hilly) pastures with sporadic trees for shade.

The most important thing is that we have a veterinary school OR a camelid trained vet within 2 hours (which is why we've chosen the Lexington / BlueGrass area as our focus). We've already contacted other alpaca breeders in the area, and that too, influenced our decision for an 'area' to focus on.

Any comments or insights are most welcome!!

Thank you all....

PacaLady

Old 06-17-2007, 01:59 PM

Land within 20 miles or so of Lexington is very expensive, and most counties have strict zoning laws requiring 50+ acres to build a house. For a farm that size, you would probably have to look at Anderson, Franklin, eastern Shelby, or Henry counties

Old 06-18-2007, 10:06 AM

Angry Aspie:
Thanks for the information. I'll be sure to check zoning restrictions on any property we're interested in. Any comments about land north of Lexington?
PacaLady

Old 06-18-2007, 10:16 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,056 times
My vet in Paris does lots of alpacas; I know she was at the recent National in Louisville....

Old 06-18-2007, 10:32 AM

Once you get about 20 miles north of Lexington and out of the inner Bluegrass region, the land gets hillier and is cheaper. The closest areas to Lexington here would be northern Scott County

Old 06-18-2007, 12:05 PM

I know have a 'list' and will re-visit the MLS for the counties mentioned. I spoke to a breeder in Paris recently, and they are quite pleased with their vet (didn't mention the vet's name), so I know there is vet care in the area.

Angry Aspie....N. of Lex being hillier isn't bad, if the hills are super deep. I'll see if I can get a topo map and check it out.

Pacalady

Old 07-20-2007, 01:24 PM

43 posts, read 54,232 times
I think your husband looked at our property while he was here. There are no zoning restrictions in Breckinridge County and it is only an hour from Louisville. I am not sure if our vets are trained on alpacas but I know most of them specialize in big animals because of all the farmers here. I don't think there is any cheaper land in the whole state and the taxes are so cheap.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:13 PM

7 posts, read 22,366 times
Ashland, Ky is a great place if your financial needs aren't dependent upon a particular type of job. It's very friendly, low cost of living & housing. Plenty of wide open spaces in the county. The 2nd largest city in W.V. is right across the river. We have an extensive library, park, Pendeleton art center and several gallery's. There are museums, state parks & lakes. Everything is w/i a quick drive. I know of one Cal. transplant that retired here because people are friendlier & all the above. We have restaurants from fast food all the way up. I consider Ashland Ky.'s best kept secret. Visit Summer Motion 2007 - Welcome, Ashland Alliance to get a better overview. The latter will quickly answer any question you have.
I've been on the web for over 8 yrs. and never knew this site existed until a month ago and I surf extensively. So please don't judge our friendliness by the amt. of response to your question.
I just saw your addition to the request. There are a couple of ostrich & sheep farms in this region and vets that take care of them. So I'm sure you'd have no problems with your alpacas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky