Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times

Advertisements

These are very, very rural areas, so keep that in mind. Should be some very good bargains in housing, considering they lost one of their big employers a few years ago and with all the problems with the Lake.

I'm a bigger city boy, so you couldn't pay me to live there, but it does have a ton of natural beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 09:27 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
These are very, very rural areas, so keep that in mind. Should be some very good bargains in housing, considering they lost one of their big employers a few years ago and with all the problems with the Lake.

I'm a bigger city boy, so you couldn't pay me to live there, but it does have a ton of natural beauty.
And you couldn't pay me to live in any large city.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 8,386 times
Real Estate agents are professionals and will tell you what you want to hear.

Go to the flea market during the day and Wal Mart at night and you will see the people of the area.

If you need a place to rent before you buy in Somerset, I have a 2/2 for rent and a 3/2 1/2 also both with one car garage currently available. (CFO of hospital rented from me and I keep these places clean.)

I am a former SAIC employee and a native CA. Send me a direct message if you want more info.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 PM

15 posts, read 47,746 times
Talking Moving from Illinois to Middleburg.

We are moving to Middleburg from Illinois. We found a beautiful quiet area and took us about 25 min to drive to Somerset. I can send you the Realtor's information. There is actually another beautiful house for sale in the same area. We bought a beautiful log home in 20 acres mountain view and only 20-25 min away from shopping area. We have been looking all over the place and finally found this property. We love it.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:36 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
I do see what you're saying about the beauty possibly being ruined. The thing is that London (and, for that matter, Somerset) are pro-commercial growth communities. But they're not growing by such leaps and bounds that hills are being leveled and blasted at such an alarming rate. The rural areas in Pulaski County (surrounding Somerset) and Laurel County (surrounding London) are and will be beautiful for generations to come.

It's just that in terms of town upkeep, cleanliness and smart planning and zoning, London is doing a much better job than Somerset. London is a redneck venue, sure, but not nearly as "necky" as Somerset, Mt. Vernon, Corbin, Williamsburg, Barbourville, and other immediately surrounding communities I've been to. Plus, the city of London and western Laurel County are really about as safe as anywhere. The other surrounding communities and, for that matter, eastern Laurel Co. are constantly making the Lexington news for drug deals gone bad, burglaries-turned-murders, domestic disputes-turned-hostage situations, etc.

If you move to a "necky" venue, that's fine; I'd rather live in a "necky" venue than, say, eight of nine of NOLA's wards, Soundview in the Bronx, or Sharpstown in Houston. But there are multiple quality of life variables to consider there as anywhere else.

Wow, for somebody that on other subjects wants to come across as openminded and non-stereotypical you sure can throw some stereotypes around. You sound very immature in your characterization of certain areas of the country and might want to get out and see the world before you judge each and every area that you probably have no history with whatsoever.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 PM

13 posts, read 48,217 times
Crazyness going on with the housing prises. They want like $90,000 for houses around Somerset that are worth $50,000. If u do move here stay north of town and dont live south of the mall. Its white trash heaven down there unless u like trailers and people that are addicted to pain killers. Its an okay town I like it but teach ur kids early bout drugs cuz there is probly a meth lab within 1 mile of anywhere around Somerset. ENJOY! oh and if u like to fish forget Lake Cumberland people here call it the dead sea the fish are in there but they dont like to come out and play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky