Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 12:52 PM

8 posts, read 27,454 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are considering a relocation to the Somerset area. My husband will be working just outside of town at SAIC. We could comute from Mt. Vernon or Somerset area without a problem. We have 3 little girls and a 2 year old son. Schools are important and so is a nice family friendly area. Our income is in the 90K range. Can anyone make suggestions? Will be a long way from family and would like to make new friends. We have heard wonderful things about the region and the folks living there.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 06:17 PM

4 posts, read 9,768 times
I am flying in from Calif. to Somerset next week to look at homes for sale. Am also looking around Lexington and Mayfield.

I will let you know what I see, and what I thought of the town when I get back. It looks wonderful, and I am so excited!

Old 01-01-2009, 07:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
I must have overlooked this post. I spent half my childhood about 20 miles west of Somerset

The best elementary schools in the area are Science Hill in northern Pulaski Co and Salem in northern Russell Co

Old 01-01-2009, 07:20 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
------"I will let you know what I see, and what I thought of the town when I get back"----

Please do

I , also, was giving consideration to Mayfield and Somerset but haven't visited them.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:07 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times
Around Somerset, I would avoid Somerset/Pulaski County. One of the dumpiest and least friendly small towns in all of Kentucky; to say that it's a cesspool would be polite. London, the seat of Laurel County, is only 30 miles east, much more progressive in its growth, development and economic mindset, and puts you closer to both Lexington and Knoxville. (Laurel and Pulaski Counties both have moderately high crime rates; however, most of Laurel's crime is detached east from the city of London, so you'll be okay in the city of London or western Laurel Co.)

Around Lexington, I'd consider Wilmore, Danville and Frankfort. The rest of the suburban and exurban communities w/in a 35-mile radius of the city are rather "rednecky" and just don't have a lot going on. (Okay, so Wilmore is quite sleepy, but the land surrounding the town is astonishingly beautiful, it's in Jessamine County which has a very pro-growth mindset, and you're only 10 miles from the Lexington city limits.)

Around Mayfield, I always thought Mayfield was a bit "dry" and depressing. Why not look into Murray, Cadiz, or even towns like Arlington or Bardwell closer to the Mississippi River?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,811 times
We am from Northern Ca, about 125 miles from Oregon. August of 2007 we visited Somerset to see about relocation. I spoke to a few Real Estate people and was treated very nicely. I found the people to be polite and courteous. We went through town many times and drove all over the area for 7 days looking at housing. We didn't think the area was dumpy and it certainly was NOT a cesspool. We plan to return to K4entucky in 2009 to look around some more starting with SOMERSET and asre seriously planning to move there as soon as the economy straightens out.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:26 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike49 View Post
We am from Northern Ca, about 125 miles from Oregon. August of 2007 we visited Somerset to see about relocation. I spoke to a few Real Estate people and was treated very nicely. I found the people to be polite and courteous. We went through town many times and drove all over the area for 7 days looking at housing. We didn't think the area was dumpy and it certainly was NOT a cesspool. We plan to return to K4entucky in 2009 to look around some more starting with SOMERSET and asre seriously planning to move there as soon as the economy straightens out.
Once you post on here regularly you'll see a few certain posters that are always negative.

Anyway, I'm glad you like Somerset because it is a nice town! A lot of the new residential development there is taking place on the SW side of Somerset. Some of the neighborhoods have incredible views of Lake Cumberland.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:03 PM

4 posts, read 10,324 times
This confuses me. You say that the place is beautiful BUT pro-growth. Doesn't that mean it won't be beautiful much longer? The surrounding lands?? They always ruin it.
I hope you don't take what I'm saying wrong. You sound very honest and thorough and if I were considering a move to a place I'd like your input. Seriously.
All that said, many of my family are 'rednecks' and I still know what you mean.
I finally stopped using the phrase even though I have rights to it when it offended this nice man I used to blog online with. I did explain to him that most of my people would see it his way. We never intended it as an insult, rather an acknowledgement of culture difference.
Anyway .. please expand if you're of a mind. I'm going to be transplanting home to KY very soon. I will probably end up in some redneck venue but will like having other really smart people to talk to ... the rednecks have their own VERY SMARTNESS which I respect and love. Others who fight all their lives to get away find that these are the best people in the world.
However, I still like other people to talk to. Got used to it I guess all these years away.
Thanks for your time. No need to reply if you don't have time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Around Somerset, I would avoid Somerset/Pulaski County. One of the dumpiest and least friendly small towns in all of Kentucky; to say that it's a cesspool would be polite. London, the seat of Laurel County, is only 30 miles east, much more progressive in its growth, development and economic mindset, and puts you closer to both Lexington and Knoxville. (Laurel and Pulaski Counties both have moderately high crime rates; however, most of Laurel's crime is detached east from the city of London, so you'll be okay in the city of London or western Laurel Co.)

Around Lexington, I'd consider Wilmore, Danville and Frankfort. The rest of the suburban and exurban communities w/in a 35-mile radius of the city are rather "rednecky" and just don't have a lot going on. (Okay, so Wilmore is quite sleepy, but the land surrounding the town is astonishingly beautiful, it's in Jessamine County which has a very pro-growth mindset, and you're only 10 miles from the Lexington city limits.)

Around Mayfield, I always thought Mayfield was a bit "dry" and depressing. Why not look into Murray, Cadiz, or even towns like Arlington or Bardwell closer to the Mississippi River?

Old 02-15-2009, 09:52 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesugar View Post
This confuses me. You say that the place is beautiful BUT pro-growth. Doesn't that mean it won't be beautiful much longer? The surrounding lands?? They always ruin it.
I hope you don't take what I'm saying wrong. You sound very honest and thorough and if I were considering a move to a place I'd like your input. Seriously.
All that said, many of my family are 'rednecks' and I still know what you mean.
I finally stopped using the phrase even though I have rights to it when it offended this nice man I used to blog online with. I did explain to him that most of my people would see it his way. We never intended it as an insult, rather an acknowledgement of culture difference.
Anyway .. please expand if you're of a mind. I'm going to be transplanting home to KY very soon. I will probably end up in some redneck venue but will like having other really smart people to talk to ... the rednecks have their own VERY SMARTNESS which I respect and love. Others who fight all their lives to get away find that these are the best people in the world.
However, I still like other people to talk to. Got used to it I guess all these years away.
Thanks for your time. No need to reply if you don't have time.
I do see what you're saying about the beauty possibly being ruined. The thing is that London (and, for that matter, Somerset) are pro-commercial growth communities. But they're not growing by such leaps and bounds that hills are being leveled and blasted at such an alarming rate. The rural areas in Pulaski County (surrounding Somerset) and Laurel County (surrounding London) are and will be beautiful for generations to come.

It's just that in terms of town upkeep, cleanliness and smart planning and zoning, London is doing a much better job than Somerset. London is a redneck venue, sure, but not nearly as "necky" as Somerset, Mt. Vernon, Corbin, Williamsburg, Barbourville, and other immediately surrounding communities I've been to. Plus, the city of London and western Laurel County are really about as safe as anywhere. The other surrounding communities and, for that matter, eastern Laurel Co. are constantly making the Lexington news for drug deals gone bad, burglaries-turned-murders, domestic disputes-turned-hostage situations, etc.

If you move to a "necky" venue, that's fine; I'd rather live in a "necky" venue than, say, eight of nine of NOLA's wards, Soundview in the Bronx, or Sharpstown in Houston. But there are multiple quality of life variables to consider there as anywhere else.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:25 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
I do see what you're saying about the beauty possibly being ruined. The thing is that London (and, for that matter, Somerset) are pro-commercial growth communities. But they're not growing by such leaps and bounds that hills are being leveled and blasted at such an alarming rate. The rural areas in Pulaski County (surrounding Somerset) and Laurel County (surrounding London) are and will be beautiful for generations to come.

It's just that in terms of town upkeep, cleanliness and smart planning and zoning, London is doing a much better job than Somerset. London is a redneck venue, sure, but not nearly as "necky" as Somerset, Mt. Vernon, Corbin, Williamsburg, Barbourville, and other immediately surrounding communities I've been to. Plus, the city of London and western Laurel County are really about as safe as anywhere. The other surrounding communities and, for that matter, eastern Laurel Co. are constantly making the Lexington news for drug deals gone bad, burglaries-turned-murders, domestic disputes-turned-hostage situations, etc.

If you move to a "necky" venue, that's fine; I'd rather live in a "necky" venue than, say, eight of nine of NOLA's wards, Soundview in the Bronx, or Sharpstown in Houston. But there are multiple quality of life variables to consider there as anywhere else.
Eastern Laurel County? Uhh, you mean East Bernstadt, that is in Northern Laurel County. Eastern Laurel County has become a fast growing part of the county within the past few years. It's a beautiful area, that still has a lot of farmland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky