Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 10:28 PM

23 posts, read 81,769 times

Advertisements

Me and the girlfriend are moving this December to Bardstwon, KY. Was going to TN, but decided against that since she has family in Bardstown and we can live for free their till we get our feet wet in the whole job industry down their. My question is she is going be looking into some colleges down their and I was gonna help her narrow it down for her by asking what are some good nursing schools in that area? For myself I plan on going back to school at a community college then transfering from their... unsure of a major as of right now... but any community college is suffecient as long as its pretty good academically and around Bardstown area no more than a 60 mile round trip to college. If I dont want to go right into school how is the jobs down their? Is it pretty stable or what? Up here in my area of Illinois its a job drought unless you want to work 60hrs a week at a factory making 7.25 and hr. We also plan on moving out of her sisters house and get our own place in that area of bardstown but a little bit more of a small town (thats what were used to). Also how do you get into jobs at a distillery down their like Jim Beam and Makers Mark. I have lots of questions but i'll end it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,928 times
hi, i was browsing the net and came up on your forum about bardstown, my husband and i have lived here all our life, it's a relativly quiet and slow. to get on a the local distilleries can be a little tricky you have to go through the employment temp agencies have a least a 90 day temp time and if you are impressive or know someone then you get hired on other wise some get indefinate layoffs. as far as your girl friend and school well there are several nursing colleges but they are about 45-60 minute drives depending on your location in Bardstown, there is St. Catherine which is a private school and is expensive thats towards springfield KY the there is several in Louisville KY if you are on a budget than Elizabethtown community college has a nursing program but it's hard to get in unless you have great grades if you are looking for a house well there are all kinds on the market they the prices are around 90k give or take depending on the location and if you you want to live in subdivisions or have acreage. i kno this b/c our house is for sale.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:59 PM

345 posts, read 1,277,434 times
All of the world's rotgut whiskey comes from bardstown. If its 4$ a pint, its from bardstown. This coming from an ex kentucky liquor store worker

Old 10-14-2008, 05:05 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
I think you've asked this question before, kind of. Oh well, here goes.

Some other posts I've composed in the past concerning Bardstown:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986
Property taxes in Bardstown and Nelson Co. are pretty high, by Kentucky standards...

The closest job markets are 35-40 minutes away in Louisville and 50-55 minutes away in Frankfort and Lexington. I will say that Fort Knox Army Reservation, 35-40 min. away, is in the process of adding 12,000 new jobs (yes, 12,000) over the next 5-6 years, and I'd say many of those will be civilian jobs. Have any longtime experience in government? A college degree you are (or are not using)? Now might be the time to jump on board.

The town of Bardstown is absolutely beautiful. My Old Kentucky Home State Park, My Old Kentucky Dinner Train, Historic Downtown, 2-3 distilleries nearby, Bernheim Forest, Kentucky Railway Museum in New Haven. There are a lot of "cutesy" things to do around the town, you know. Might seem kinda corny to me as a 22 year old (except the distilleries and hiking in the forest, and don't combine those. )

Lastly, the people I've met there are generally rude and surly. You can see that in the customer service or just the random strangers you meet in town. It's not one of Kentucky's truly "friendly" towns, that's for sure. I've found the people in nearby Elizabethtown or Springfield to be less uptight and more down-to-earth...

As far as I'm concerned, the good and bad elements of Nelson County are about equal. I personally wouldn't choose to live there. But, the new MASSIVE MEGA Super Wal-Mart on sterroids, Lowe's, and Chili's are indicative of the community's rapid growth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986
Bardstown sucks, on the other hand. One of Kentucky's rather snobby areas. But at least it's close to Louisville. (You ought to consider Elizabethtown, Brandenburg, or Oldham County if you want to be near Louisville.)

Last edited by EclecticEars; 10-14-2008 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky