Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 10,477 times

Advertisements

My family and I are thinking about relocating to Ashland in a few months. We are now in Georgia, about 20 miles north of Atlanta. We have a lot of things to do here, but we're to the age that I think we want some quiet for a while! I have lived in Kentucky once, and my parents are both from there, and curently reside near Ashland. I know what the job market is like, so we're at least up on that.

My main question is the lack of blacks and other ethnic groups in the area. We are a white family, but my daughter's boyfriend is black, and will be moving with us. I don't want to put either of them into a situation that makes them uncomfortable. Relationships like this are very common here, and are widely accepted. It is very rare than another here even thinks twice about them. I would also like to know if there is much of anything for my kids to do. They are in their late teens/early twenties, and like to do more than I do. It's not like we are looking for concerts or events at our fingertips, but a nice mall and theater would be nice. I know this is not a college town or anything, but having people around their own age and having a few activities would be great.

We are ready to move in that direction, but want to know that we are ALL welcome.

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 05:33 PM

850 posts, read 3,157,940 times
Honestly - I do not believe your daughter and boyfriend will have trouble as a bi-racial couple. With you having family in the area - bring him along, introduce him as one of the family and go from there.

There will be issues in this world no matter how progresive and open many of us are - but honestly - if you are comfortable in Georgia - you will be comfortable here.

I live in a very small town - and we only have one bi-racial family here. Those kids have always been treated well - and always will be. The daughter has gone to school with my son since kindergarten - and if our sometimes 'backward' town can welcome them with open arms - I feel sure Ashland will too, which is much more progressive than Lebanon Junction.

My recommendation? If your family is involved in Church - become involved when you move as soon as possible. Develop those close ties and establish your life - the rest will follow.

I am very proud to hear your story. It is such a wonderful start to something that needs to spread - love conquers all - and the world needs to wake up.

Have you seen the movie "The Family Stone"? I love it - Diane Keaton has a gay son whose partner is black (her son is deaf), one son has done very well for himself in a professional job in the city, and another son is a 'bum' so to speak. The family is a normal, loving open-minded family. My wish is that we could all be that way - it starts with me and you.

Welcome back home!
oh, and check ou these sites:
http://www.glimcher.com/controller/r5i/psm/file/view/Ashland%20Town%20Center.pdf?id=751 (broken link)

http://www.ashlandky.org/

http://www.visitashlandky.com/index.htm
KimmieyKY

Old 05-11-2007, 02:25 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,135 times
As you can see from the posts above... some people are accepting.. others are not. It will be that way anywhere you go. Ashland is fairly progressive or diversified if that's a better term, especially since it is within very close proximity to Huntington, WV. The larger towns/cities seem to offer a bit more open-mindedness, although racists live everywhere.

Hope you and your family find peace and happiness wherever you choose to live.

Desiree

Old 05-13-2007, 10:13 PM

28 posts, read 197,149 times
Where are you moving from north of Atlanta? I now live in Canton, but lived in KY years ago - actually in the Ashland area. My sister is a teacher in that area and thinks you won't have a problem. However, as anywhere in the world - ignorant people do exist!

Old 06-26-2007, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 10,126 times
Default BIG difference

I moved here from Tampa to a small town outside of Lexington. I think it will be fine. What I know about Kentucky is the people in general are very nice and will treat you how you treat them. I do advise to stay away from towns in the hills like Jackson, Hazard, etc....
I too interracially date. I have a white son who is in every sport there is, so that puts us out in the community alot. No one here has out and out done anything rude to cause our family concern but you can tell it's not as accepted as in the larger "city" areas. I can tell this by conversations, actions, etc.
I believe it is what you make it. Good luck to you and your family.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 9,989 times
In an area with less than 3 percent black I don't believe you will be greatly accepted. And to add, not liking interracial relationships does not make you racist. I know I do not like seeing it. Don't ever believe for a second it's just skin color!!! It goes way deeper than that. Keep in mind also our DNA is over 80 percent identical to a cow.
Ever walk into a store and see a black man hand in hand with a white woman and actually think nothing of it???? No is the correct answer especially for other black people to see it...
Just my two cents...

Old 10-09-2007, 06:21 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparfreud View Post
In an area with less than 3 percent black I don't believe you will be greatly accepted. And to add, not liking interracial relationships does not make you racist. I know I do not like seeing it. Don't ever believe for a second it's just skin color!!! It goes way deeper than that. Keep in mind also our DNA is over 80 percent identical to a cow.
Ever walk into a store and see a black man hand in hand with a white woman and actually think nothing of it???? No is the correct answer especially for other black people to see it...
Just my two cents...
Just curious, why don't you like seeing interracial couples? What is it more than skin color that you are eluding to, but not telling us? I never think anything of it, that's for sure...

Old 10-14-2007, 05:32 PM

33 posts, read 117,728 times
Ashland isn't so bad. Biracial couples are much more common now. I think you might hear a comment now and then, but nothing outrageous.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 9,627 times
Default My Opinion of Ashland, KY

I think people there are unwilling to accept anything progressive. Many of the people are culturally ignorant, over half of the 95% of White/Caucasian public is probably legally Native American and denying it due to Kentucky's horrible education system and a social undercurrent of white supremacy. I lived in Greenup County for over 15 years and I dread going there. I graduated in a class of 100% White students--more than half of them were adamantly racist. I have African-American friends and I am too embarrassed and fearful of harassment to bring them to my hometown or any of the outlying area including Ashland. Anyone who doesn't just say the truth is in denial. I would rather be honest. My wife and son and I are going to live in Ohio for years: it is a state with a positive future. I live in Columbus, Ohio now--I don't want my son to grow up in such a prejudice State as I did.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:59 PM

18 posts, read 63,727 times
Question Ashland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholcomb65 View Post
My family and I are thinking about relocating to Ashland in a few months. We are now in Georgia, about 20 miles north of Atlanta. We have a lot of things to do here, but we're to the age that I think we want some quiet for a while! I have lived in Kentucky once, and my parents are both from there, and curently reside near Ashland. I know what the job market is like, so we're at least up on that.

My main question is the lack of blacks and other ethnic groups in the area. We are a white family, but my daughter's boyfriend is black, and will be moving with us. I don't want to put either of them into a situation that makes them uncomfortable. Relationships like this are very common here, and are widely accepted. It is very rare than another here even thinks twice about them. I would also like to know if there is much of anything for my kids to do. They are in their late teens/early twenties, and like to do more than I do. It's not like we are looking for concerts or events at our fingertips, but a nice mall and theater would be nice. I know this is not a college town or anything, but having people around their own age and having a few activities would be great.

We are ready to move in that direction, but want to know that we are ALL welcome.

Thanks for the input.
I moved away from Ashland for many reasons. It can become a terror in the summer with tourists and all, but then some like that. Ashland is all about tourists and seldom about the "regular" people who live there. I know Ashland at one time, had a sundown law. I am assuming it is gone now. I do not think you will find racial problems most anywhere is Oregon. I was born and raised there and never saw it. Ashland is not a place that is good for kids. I would worry about drugs and such these days. With the liberal adjenda there so much has come available. It is a beautiful place however. The whole area, from Ashland to Grants Pass and beyond are gorgeous. There is a college there however. It too, so I understand has become quite expensive, but where isn't that so? Ashland has become a retirement community with expensive housing and cookie cutter houses. It is quaint and pretty, but I needed so much more. I did not like snow anyway. We have been snowed in there several times over the years. just down the road in Talent and Medford the snow is not so heavy. There are trade offs I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky