Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 02:04 PM

109 posts, read 812,766 times

Advertisements

I was in the Flea Market business back in the early to mid-90's. I traveled from Northeast Ohio, down through the Carolinas...stopping along the way at various markets. It was a great life. I started out in the fall & when the weather got cold, I'd move further down south until I wound up in Florida.

Then in the Spring, I'd reverse that route. It was a great life. I met so many wonderful people in all those States....and made a decent living at it too !!

P.S. Kimmie...Love your new Avatar next to your name. Cute.

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 03:19 PM

76 posts, read 344,732 times
Don't forget the COUNTRY HAM FESTIVAL in Cadiz, KY., Friday, Saturday and Sunday Oct. 12, 13 & 14 2007.
Check out http://www.barkleylake.com/welcom.html (broken link)
Home of the largest country ham biscuit!

Old 02-26-2007, 03:23 PM

70 posts, read 206,340 times
As far as flea markets are concerned there are two big ones in this area. One is located in Georgetown, KY right off I-75 (I believe that is Exit 125). They have indoor and outdoor booths. The second one is in Simpsonville, KY right off I-64 at Exit 28. In the summer, they also have indoor and outdoor booths. Both of these are open on the weekend.

kimmieyky - You will have a blast at the 127 yard sales! If it's at all possible, try to go on Thursday or Friday because the traffic isn't near as bad as Saturday (also try to get there early in the morning as that's the best time to find the better deals!) We see many people pulling trailers, driving RV's, pick-up trucks, etc... Anything to haul their stuff! rofl

Old 02-26-2007, 04:10 PM

76 posts, read 344,732 times
You should try "The Ham Festival" in Cadiz, KY (Trigg County).
Friday, Saturday & Sunday October 12,13 and 14, 2007
Since you mentioned lakes we have Barkley Lake which is a great place.
Over the bridge is "The Land Between The Lakes".
You should check out Barkley Lake State Resort Park.
Hunting, fishing, swimming, hiking, a little bit of everything.

KYHummingbird

Old 02-27-2007, 03:57 AM

850 posts, read 3,158,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kichenwich View Post
We stopped at a flea market last year, just as you get into Sevierville, TN. It was HUGE building, and also bunches set up out in the parking lot! It took us about 2 hours to see it all, and I ended up spending about $100. That was one of the best ones I had been to in awhile.

I also am "addicted" to flea markets, yard sales, antique malls, and auctions. Hopefully when this weather breaks, we'll be out and about finding some new ones to visit. Is there any good ones your way? ~j~
Oh my gosh - you and I have GOT to get together and go junking! There are Peddlers Mall's in many of the cities around here - which are great if you want a hodge podge of everything, but not necessarily antiques - but I swear and I am not prejudice toward this area - but Bardstown has got the BEST antique stroes I have seen. Also - in the heart of E-town there are more, along with Perryville, Taylorsville (wnated to stop a million times but never have a minute), and even Radcliff has a ton of antique malls.

Perryville obviously, is a little ways away from me - but SO worth the trip. And Harrodsburg - that area along with the shaker village has to be one of the best places to stop.

But my TOP pick from all my 'junking' experiences? Off I-65 - at the Glendale exit - off the highway just a bit (follow the signs) you will find this tiny town tucked away with every house (almost) turned into an antique and gift shop. The 'Whistle Stop' rest. in town os wonderful - and almost everything you see is for sale - like a small version of Cracker Barrel.

Oh and the Cave City exit - that takes you to Mammothe Cave Park - that road is packed FULL of shops. If you go toward the park you will find them - if you go the other way toward Caverna - the stores are alittle more spread out - but well worth the visit.

As you can probably sense - I practically do this for a living (although I haven't bought in a while) - but those are my favorites.

One last thing - The next time the Kentucky Flea MArket comes to Louisville at the KY state fairgrounds - yu HAVE to go. There is always one full wing dedicated to antiques - and the rest is almost anything you could possibly want. They always have it on Memorial Day weekend, Labor Day weekend, and New Years weekend - but there are many thrown in between. If you google the KY Ste Fair grounds - you should be able to find a schedule of events. If you decide to go - look me up - I'll be your junking buddy!

(sorry so long - I am sure youcan tell this is a passion of mine!)

Happy junking!!

And remeber - one man's junk is another man's treasure - my two antique white wicker chairs cam efrom the garbage pile at the end of a driveway. FREE - the owner thought I was nuts - but they were throwing them out as they bought a fake wicker 'resin' set. Their loss, my gain!!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:08 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,551 times
Thumbs up the land

Have ya'll tryed the Land between the Lakes area its pretty nice.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:21 AM

8 posts, read 20,070 times
Hi everyone,

as the most of this thread was about the famous annual 'hwy 127 yard sale', I post my question here:
is it free of charge just to park somewhere along 127 and sell my stuff on this event's days?
I am an avid knitter, and I'd like to sell my hand-knitted items as well as some unused yarn.
Thanks.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:10 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
You cannot park along the rural part of Hwy 127 in Kentucky, for safety reasons. The police will find and ticket you, never doubt that!

You'd be better off locating in a field or barn or other location with other sellers, many of whom are antique/flea market dealers, or making friends with a family which leaves within sight of US 127, and joining in their yard sale. Some churches set up areas, too, especially around Lawrenceburg, whose Methodist Church is a reliable spot (just south of town, on the east side of 127).

The Us 60 sale is this weekend, I believe - it's not as well-known or as publicized as is the US 127 sale, but it stretches for 400 miles (far fewer sales, though there's still good stuff to be found).

Old 06-01-2012, 10:20 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
If you're into the big yard sales too bad you're not here this weekend. The 400 mile yard sale, following US 68 from Maysville to Paducah. And this year there is an extension going from Murray to Paris, Tn.

400 Mile Sale Across Kentucky Along Historic Hwy 68

Old 06-02-2012, 11:25 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
Oops, make that the Highway 68 sale this weekend, not Hwy 60 as I incorrected indicated above.

If you went to the wrong road, I hope you enjoyed the scenery in lieu of sales!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky