Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:00 PM

190 posts, read 812,003 times

Advertisements

Hi good peoples! This is my first "starter" thread, so you KNOW it's important . But seriously, my hubby, kids and I LOVE to travel, especially within the state. We usually set out on day trips with nothing more than a map and a change of clothes. My hubby drives, and I navigate. Last year we actually found a dirt road that followed a cliff edge for about 10 miles that connects Jackson county and Estill! We DO get carried away a little sometimes. A few years ago we started out to see Ashland, and ended up in Virginia Beach, VA, since the hubby wanted to see where I 64 ended. Last year we started out for Florida, and ended up in Arkansas! Yeah, we was kinda lost.

This year we are wanting to see more of the festivals in the small towns. We always go to the Mushroom Festival in Estill, and the Wooly Worm festival in Beattyville. Does anyone know of some good old fashioned town festivals we can attend?

We are hoping to also find some more places to camp/fish/hike, not necessarily in that order. Since Lake Cumberland has been dropped almost 50 feet, I don't think we'll be on that lake much this summer. We love Laurel Lake, but are hunting new water to play in. Any suggestions? And, as you can see, we don't mind traveling one little bit!

Thanks in advance ~joanna~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 09:09 AM

237 posts, read 848,834 times
You may want to look at the catfish festival in Morgantown during the week of July 4. It might be a fun little trip for you & family.

Digger~

Old 02-15-2007, 10:05 AM

109 posts, read 812,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kichenwich View Post
Last year we actually found a dirt road that followed a cliff edge for about 10 miles that connects Jackson county and Estill!
Joanna.....Do you remember the name of that dirt road? It sounds like something I'd like to traverse when I move up there.

Joe

Old 02-15-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger57 View Post
You may want to look at the catfish festival in Morgantown during the week of July 4. It might be a fun little trip for you & family.

Digger~
Thanks, Digger! I'll write it in my calendar. Hopefully this year we will be able to do at least one festival per month. ~joann~

Old 02-15-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastman View Post
Joanna.....Do you remember the name of that dirt road? It sounds like something I'd like to traverse when I move up there.

Joe
Hi Joe! I think the name of the area was called Turkeyneck. All I remember is the road going from concrete, to gravel, to dirt, back to gravel, and ending up right outside Estill County. We love "getting lost" like that! When you and Donna get to Richmond, I can tell you about some great areas close by to see. There's one place you HAVE to go called Red River Gorge. I gaurantee you'll spend a whole day driving around in awe. It feels like you are back in the dinosaur times! And Red River is so beautiful and COLD!

Talk to you soon ~joanna~

Old 02-15-2007, 04:41 PM

109 posts, read 812,671 times
Thanx Joanna.....I can hardly wait to get there; be it Richmond, Berea, or anywhere between.

Donna & I have acquired so much info about this area, & with info from all you lovely folks, we are so excited for the next chapter in our lives.

Can I please ask for some prayers we sell our house here in Florida ASAP? Thanx.

Joe

Last edited by suncoastman; 02-15-2007 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: added content

Old 02-15-2007, 05:57 PM

70 posts, read 206,294 times
THE best time to find festivals in Kentucky is during September and October. You can find one at just about any end of the state during that time period and sometimes several within a tri-county area.

I love Mt. Sterling Court Days in October. It's a huge festival which has all kinds of great things to keep you occupied including food, music, arts, crafts, antiques, etc.... People come from all over the country to attend so be sure to check it out.

The Casey County Apple Festival is another great event to check out. They have all kinds of great things going on during the weekend including flea markets, parade, food, music, etc... They pretty much shut down the town to traffic and have vendors set up all over!

One of the biggest events I always look forward to here is the U.S. 127 Yard Sale. It spans from the Ohio River to Alabama. It's listed as only being from Thursday through Sunday but people set up the Monday before to get a head start on the local crowds. If you love to find a good bargain, YOU CAN'T MISS THIS EVENT!!! I live right off U.S. 127 and it is like a huge party for people who love to browse yard sales!! I see license plates from all over America during that week. It's truly a one of a kind experience you have to see to believe. Start saving up your money now!

One of the great things about living in this part of the state is there always seems to be some kind of event happening from spring through late fall. You are never left wondering what you can do because there are many local things going on for family and adults. You can get plenty of information from any of the Chamber of Commerce locations or even contact Kentucky Tourism for a packet which they are happy to send you as soon as they become available in the spring. (can ya tell how much I enjoy living here? lol)

Old 02-16-2007, 04:28 AM

Default 127 Yard Sale

G' Morning Wildcat,

Thanks for the info! We've been to the 127 yard sale, but it's been a couple years. They changed the dates when it was being held. Normally we start around Jamestown when we go to it, but hope this year to go farther north.

Isn't Court Days pretty crowded? Someone told me once that over 1 million people go to it, or were they just teasing?

The apple festival sounds great. I will definitely be checking that out. A few years ago we drove all the way to Hazard for a Black Gold festival, and realized AFTER we got there that we were a week early! lol. Never said we was good with calendars.......

Thanks again! ~joanna~

Old 02-16-2007, 05:01 AM

850 posts, read 3,157,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kichenwich View Post
G' Morning Wildcat,

Thanks for the info! We've been to the 127 yard sale, but it's been a couple years. They changed the dates when it was being held. Normally we start around Jamestown when we go to it, but hope this year to go farther north.

Isn't Court Days pretty crowded? Someone told me once that over 1 million people go to it, or were they just teasing?

The apple festival sounds great. I will definitely be checking that out. A few years ago we drove all the way to Hazard for a Black Gold festival, and realized AFTER we got there that we were a week early! lol. Never said we was good with calendars.......

Thanks again! ~joanna~

127 yard sale - IU= can hardly wait!!!!!! I have never been - but this year - by golly , I am going!! I am a yard sale and flea market freak anyway - and I am so up for this. I even have plans to take the flatbed traler - just in case. You can really get some good deasl out there! Yes - must work on the job thing first - but I am going to that yard sale!!

Yipee!! (se. I am so easy to please....!)

Kimmiey

Old 02-16-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
I am a yard sale and flea market freak anyway - and I am so up for this. Kimmiey

We stopped at a flea market last year, just as you get into Sevierville, TN. It was HUGE building, and also bunches set up out in the parking lot! It took us about 2 hours to see it all, and I ended up spending about $100. That was one of the best ones I had been to in awhile.

I also am "addicted" to flea markets, yard sales, antique malls, and auctions. Hopefully when this weather breaks, we'll be out and about finding some new ones to visit. Is there any good ones your way? ~j~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky